4WD / Transfer Case Issues

EZ_Wrangler

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Good morning all,

I haven't been able to shift into 4WD since I acquired the Jeep back in September. This is my first 4WD vehicle, so I'm not one that can "feel" when it is or is not engaged. Also, the dash light is not working (I replaced the bulb and ran the test to confirm). Recently, I've come to the conclusion that I think I am in 4-Hi and cannot get out.

I came across this hand drawn diagram showing the range selector positioning on Friday and tried to check mine for reference. By hand, I can only move back and forth from 2 spots. Horizontal (parallel to the ground) and actually one spot lower (which is not on the diagram as an actual position - about -15 degrees approximately).

I don't know where to begin with this project. I'm assuming I will have to pull the T-Case, but I wouldn't know what I was looking at after that point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't currently have pictures of my own rig with these positioning, but can add later if needed.

Jeep 4WD Range Lever Position Chart.png

Have you been driving this TJ on the road, or even in a driveway? If so you would KNOW if your in 4wd and can't get out whenever you tried turning.

Whatever "gear" you are in It's most likely that the shifter and/or linkage is having some issues. Somepossibilities:

1) it needs adjusted
2) it needs some lube
3) it is bent or otherwise damaged
4) all of the above

Your diagram is close. You should have the shift pattern printed on the handle. 2 Hi is all the way down. Pull it up one click & your in 4 hi, up & over a bit is neutral. Up again is 4 Low.

There is a sensor in the transfer case that controls the dash light. YouTube has plenty of videos on how to replace it. The sensor itself is available on Amazon or at your local auto parts store.

View attachment 136911

Thanks for the observation that 4-Hi and N have been switched, And I agree on the sensor....would this cause even a good bulb to not work? Is it grounded through the sensor?

Have you been driving this TJ on the road, or even in a driveway? If so you would KNOW if your in 4wd and can't get out whenever you tried turning.

Whatever "gear" you are in It's most likely that the shifter and/or linkage is having some issues. Somepossibilities:

1) it needs adjusted
2) it needs some lube
3) it is bent or otherwise damaged
4) all of the above

Thanks. As I mentioned, I'm not familiar with driving in 4WD (first vehicle with it). I have been able to tell a little more lately but did not know otherwise for the last few months. Could have been due to me messing with the range selector and leaving it in 4WD by accident.

I understand it could be a linkage issue. But I cannot manually move the range selector more than those 2 positions by hand. It only moves back and forth in those 2 positions. Even with the trunnion nut loosened. I guess the bell crank could be a little seized up and not allowing any more movement. But what concerns me is that one of my positions is below horizontal. Unlike the diagram.

To get you more familiar with 4wd get on any fairly dry pavement and try to turn. If it seems like any other car you've driven, it's in 2wd. If it the front tires make some noise and the steering wheel gets rocked back and forth it's in 4wd.

Your diagram is close. You should have the shift pattern printed on the handle. 2 Hi is all the way down. Pull it up one click & your in 4 hi, up & over a bit is neutral. Up again is 4 Low.

There is a sensor in the transfer case that controls the dash light. YouTube has plenty of videos on how to replace it. The sensor itself is available on Amazon or at your local auto parts store.

View attachment 136911

So I was looking at the diagram again and I don't believe it is wrong. This diagram is of the range selector on the transfer case. It's not the shift handle inside the cab. This is showing that with the handle all the way down, the range selector should be vertical to be in 2wd. Then every shift from there (moving up in the cab) would then move the range selector down.

Does this sound right to everybody else? Like I mentioned in the OP, mine is currently in the 4Low position (horizontal) and then will move down one spot - which is not on the drawing.

** Also, this is not my drawing. I found this randomly on about my 400th Google search for the problem.

Reactions: ballpark
What is the reason you decided to mess with the transfer case selector in the first place? If you have no experience with a 4wd vehicle it seems odd that you would mess with it.
You must know someone that has a little mechanical knowledge. Even if it is that brother-in-law that you can't stand. This is one of if not the simplest parts of the Jeep to deal with. 1 lever that moves only 1 direction back and forth. Start by getting underneath and finding the linkage to make sure it is all attached correctly and not bent up. Spray all the pivot points with a healthy dose of Kroil or Liquid Wrench. Then go back up top and try to move the selector being sure to not bend or break anything in the linkage below. Follow the diagram on the handle to move it correctly. Even if the linkage is bent you should get at least 3 positions of the 2H-4H-N-4L. Identify which ones you can shift into( N & 4L are easy to identify). Don't worry about a lightbulb for now.

So which ones can you get by moving the lever? We can go from here.

Horizontal is 2H. Every position from there is a upward/rearward type of movement on the transfer case selector inside the vehicle. Don't worry what position anything else is in until you understand how to move the lever in the cab and what range it moves to.

@Goatman I appreciate both of your posts, all be it making me sound like an idiot.

I've never been able to use the in-cab shifter handle. It's never locked in. Which answers your questions as to why "someone like me" would mess with it. I understand how the linkage works. What I didn't understand is what positions the range selector should be in because I couldn't find anything on it. Not to mention, the PO was a 19 year old kid who said he "rebuilt" the transfer case when he had it. I didn't know what all that entailed when I bought it.

The only insightful information I gathered from you degrading my knowledge is that the original diagram I posted is completely backwards. With 2H needing to be at the bottom (horizontal) and move upwards and rearwards. Thanks for the info.

1. With the jeep off and with a friend, get under the jeep, and look up over the skid plate so you can see that little lever that's on the transfer case. Then have your friend, move the level inside the jeep, and watch to see what happens below.

You may see where the linkage is broken. Its very common to break.

2. You can, by hand, move that little lever on the transfer case. That would be the next step. You would have to remove the linkage from the little lever on the TC to the large lever in the inside of the jeep first. Then move the little lever on the TC to switch modes.

Here is a video of me, manually moving the lever.

FYI- My little lever may be different. I installed a cable shifter.

1. With the jeep off and with a friend, get under the jeep, and look up over the skid plate so you can see that little lever that's on the transfer case. Then have your friend, move the level inside the jeep, and watch to see what happens below.

You may see where the linkage is broken. Its very common to break.

2. You can, by hand, move that little lever on the transfer case. That would be the next step. You would have to remove the linkage from the little lever on the TC to the large lever in the inside of the jeep first. Then move the little lever on the TC to switch modes.

Here is a video of me, manually moving the lever.

FYI- My little lever may be different. I installed a cable shifter.

Thanks!! I have tried both of these. I've never gotten the in-cab handle to move very well. I assumed the linkage needed adjusting after researching on here and other sites. However, like I mentioned in my original post, moving by hand, I can only get it into 2 positions. One being horitzontal (parallel to the floor) and down one spot. Which according the diagram I found, shouldn't even happen. Plus, if the linkage is setup so that horizontal is the 2H position, I can't move the in-cab handle any lower to make it move to that lower position.

This is why I'm asking for help. The PO "rebuilt" the transfer case and I'm afraid something internally is not lining up correctly. Maybe the range selector is just mis-aligned. I haven't really been able to find any other diagrams or information on the specific positions for the range selector.

I kinda wonder if they put on the little lever wrong. It goes on two ways. Maybe post some pictures of what everything looks like.

IMG_3707.jpg

Hey EZ, never meant any disrespect to you. If I wanted to just blast you I would have needed only 1 sentence, not paragraphs trying to explain things. The 'horizontal and then down position' would seem to indicate some sort of problem since the lever doesn't go lower than level with the floor pan. So I was trying to figure out if it was an actual mechanical problem or a communication problem from not understanding how the system works. Also, failure to mention the PO's work had me believing it was still as the factory assembled it. That changes the whole thing. Again, never meant to dog you, only trying to get a clear understanding of the actual problem. 🤯

Reactions: EZ_Wrangler
The lever doesn’t pull with just one finger.
U actually have to pull it. When you pull it up in to 4 high then move the lever to the right and pull back all the way to 4 low. Do this with the transmission in neutral
If it’s not engaging on the transfer case take the linkage off the t case and move it with channel locks