A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

I have some dairy farms south of me. Soon I should go by and see if I can run across their scales.

My local dump lets you roll on the scale and ask for a weight reading. Unless you want it printed out (and pay $10), they just tell you the weight over the intercom.

• USA Proud
Reactions: reddvltj and RINC
My local dump lets you roll on the scale and ask for a weight reading. Unless you want it printed out (and pay $10), they just tell you the weight over the intercom.

I can just cheat and take a couple bags of trash. they weigh me in and weigh me out and I get the receipt showing both weights and it only costs me a couple bucks... Although they're not the most accurate scales... (I worked there for a few months and saw first hand they could be off by 100 lbs on any given day because they didn't keep the deck cleared of mud)

I could go to the local Cement plant and pay about $10 to get a certified weight.

Easiest mod yet. Pulled the backing off the subwoofer controller and stuck it to the console. Also, added seat risers to the driver side seat. This needed to be done to get the subwoofer from thumping so hard on my bottom! :)

20230715_140708.jpg

20230715_141711.jpg

Installed LED strip lights on the inside of the rear tub rails. This definitely helps light up the backseat better and matches the footwell lights previously installed.

20230715_210303.jpg

20230715_210228.jpg

20230715_211001.jpg

Last edited:
For the first time in a long time I spent several hours today exploring backroads in Va. Driving this Jeep makes all the work worth it. At 185k miles it drives like a dream!

20230805_171025.jpg

20230805_170741.jpg

For the first time in a long time I spent several hours today exploring backroads in Va. Driving this Jeep makes all the work worth it. At 185k miles it drives like a dream!

View attachment 447432

View attachment 447433

Very nice! I keep coming back to this build for ideas.

We’ve got a similar ‘look’ going on at the moment.

IMG_6488.jpeg

Do you ever get grief for the bar covering your front plate?

Since the GrabarsUSA are no longer available, I swapped them out of the TJ and put them in the LJ. The TJ got a set of Chinese knockoffs. The quality looks okay, they turned out to be not what I was expecting. The welds are good and the bars are solid, but they're made of aluminum and flex more that I'd like. Plus, I had to enlarge the windshield mounting holes, because they were to small for the stock bolts. Since the TJ will eventually go to a new home, they'll do for now.

FWIW, the link below says they are steel, but they're aluminum. I kept them because all the steel ones I could find had countersunk drilled mounting holes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGDSP64/?tag=wranglerorg-20
20230917_195651.jpg

Reactions: UKTJ and Wildman
Since the GrabarsUSA are no longer available, I swapped them out of the TJ and put them in the LJ. The TJ got a set of Chinese knockoffs. The quality looks okay, they turned out to be not what I was expecting. The welds are good and the bars are solid, but they're made of aluminum and flex more that I'd like. Plus, I had to enlarge the windshield mounting holes, because they were to small for the stock bolts. Since the TJ will eventually go to a new home, they'll do for now.

FWIW, the link below says they are steel, but they're aluminum. I kept them because all the steel ones I could find had countersunk drilled mounting holes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGDSP64/?tag=wranglerorg-20
View attachment 458453

All that glitters is not gold. Not even fool's gold.

It's almost as if all the copies with countersunk holes are copies of the first one that made countersunk holes. If you don't mind, please share the above pics and comments in that Grabar thread.

And wow, the TJ is (eventually) going to a new home after you put on all those parts on it? 😳

Reactions: Lax22 and Irun
All that glitters is not gold. Not even fool's gold.

It's almost as if all the copies with countersunk holes are copies of the first one that made countersunk holes. If you don't mind, please share the above pics and comments in that Grabar thread.

And wow, the TJ is (eventually) going to a new home after you put on all those parts on it? 😳

I have the wild boar ones and I would almost bet the Jeep they are installed in that they are steel. They’ve been there for years though, and I’ve never felt the need to stick a magnet on them to verify. Mine don’t flex, at all, fwiw. I do agree with @Irun about fitment though. I seem to remember needing to move the holes on mine to make them fit correctly to the windshield.

Reactions: Wildman
I have the wild boar ones and I would almost bet the Jeep they are installed in that they are steel. They’ve been there for years though, and I’ve never felt the need to stick a magnet on them to verify. Mine don’t flex, at all, fwiw. I do agree with @Irun about fitment though. I seem to remember needing to move the holes on mine to make them fit correctly to the windshield.

It's funny that they decided to move from steel to aluminium at some point in time.

Reactions: Irun