A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

My wife's parents came to visit and I told my 77 year old father in law there's no free lunch. Had him help do one more upper control arm adjustment, then install a new soft top. Surprisingly, we had a great time. He knows nothing about cars, but is eager to learn.

20210618_172458.jpg

20210618_172655.jpg

Last edited:
Pins and needles….
Took the Jeep out today for a 30 minute trip. Driveline vibrations are gone. 18 degrees for both the pinion and driveshaft was the magic number for me. If I remember correctly, @jjvw mentioned that was where he was.

The test drive started out a little scary, because I noticed an excessive amount of body roll when I went into a turn at 50+. I pulled over started checking things and discovered I was a dummy. In my pre check I didn't look at the SwayLoc. It was set to unlocked! 🤪 once I locked it things got better.

Surprisingly, the ride was on the stiff side at first. Thankfully, the more I drove it the better it got. The Black Max shocks performed well, but they don't respond well to abrupt and sustained bumps. Nothing scary or unexpected, just not the kind of shock that sucks up bumps at speed.

Last edited:
My wife's parents came to visit and I told my 77 year old father in law there's no free lunch. Had him help do one more upper control arm adjustment, then install a new soft top. Surprisingly, we had a great time. He knows nothing about cars, but is eager to learn.

View attachment 260188

View attachment 260189
Jeep looks great, still can't find springs to get ours built so keep sending pictures of yours lol

Reactions: Irun
I had to pull the plastic trim around the steering column, to fix a lighting issue. The plastic was faded grey, much like the fender flares. To restore the original look, I first tried Meguiar's Ultimate Black. All that did was make the black look blacker, but the grey was still there (1st picture).

Next, I broke out the random orbital buffer, along with some Meguiar's Cleaner/Polish, and buffed the plastic. After about 5 minutes of buffing the factory black returned, which can be seen in the 2nd picture. FWIW, I tested picture #2 by repeatedly washing the plastic piece in soapy water. After 1/2 dozen washings, it was still as shiny as the picture! :)

Pictures 3 and 4 are another piece, before and after.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Picture 1 - Test with Meguiar's Ultimate Black (Shiny, but still grey). Also, this washed off easily with soap and water, returning to a dull grey.
20210621_122827.jpg

Picture 2 - Random orbital buffer used, in combination with Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner/Polish. After 5 minutes of buffing, the grey was gone. Also, this was washed repeatedly, with soap and water, but the shine stayed and the the grey didn't come back.
20210621_124237.jpg

Picture 3 - Before buffing
20210621_124439.jpg

Picture 4 - After buffing
20210621_125425.jpg

Last edited:
I had to pull the plastic trim around the steering column, to fix a lighting issue. The plastic was faded grey, much like the fender flares. To restore the original look, I first tried Meguiar's Ultimate Black. All that did was make the black look blacker, but the grey was still there (1st picture).

Next, I broke out the random orbital buffer, along with some Meguiar's Cleaner/Polish, and buffed the plastic. After about 5 minutes of buffing the factory black returned, which can be seen in the 2nd picture. FWIW, I tested picture #2 by repeatedly washing the plastic piece in soapy water. After 1/2 dozen washings, it was still as shiny as the picture! :)

Pictures 3 and 4 are another piece, before and after.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Picture 1 - Test with Meguiar's Ultimate Black (Shiny, but still grey). Also, this washed off easily with soap and water, returning to a dull grey.
View attachment 262064

Picture 2 - Random orbital buffer used, in combination with Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner/Polish. After 5 minutes of buffing, the grey was gone. Also, this was washed repeatedly, with soap and water, but the shine stayed and the the grey didn't come back.
View attachment 262065

Picture 3 - Before buffing
View attachment 262068

Picture 4 - After buffing
View attachment 262069
More info on your buffer , please. Looks like something that the wife really needs . Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman and Irun
More info on your buffer , please. Looks like something that the wife really needs . Thanks.
I've used several buffers over the years and this is my favorite, so far. It's comfortable, easy to use, and the combination of random orbital motion and variable settings means it won't burn through sharp edges like other buffers. Thus far I've used it for more than 40 hours and the only negative thing I can say about it is the buffing pads can be difficult to remove (The velcro holds extremely well!)

When I bought mine, I also picked up the course, medium, and fine pads. However, I haven't really needed to use anything but the course. Just make sure to keep the pads wet when in use. If not, they will start to break apart.

https://www.harborfreight.com/corded-20mm-long-throw-random-orbit-6-in-da-polisher-56367.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-coarse-foam-polishing-pad-blue-56549.html

Good news and bad. The Jeep passed inspection! However, I also had them do an alignment. When making the adjustments, the technician used a pipe wrench on my Savvy arms to adjust them. Now they are damaged! 🤬

Good news and bad. The Jeep passed inspection! However, I also had them do an alignment. When making the adjustments, the technician used a pipe wrench on my Savvy arms to adjust them. Now they are damaged! 🤬
I would have Ripped his Ass...

It definitely hurts when someone you pay to do something screws it up, but on the bright side at least it’s just a marred up surface and nothing got broken. Odds are they’d wind up looking the same after a few wheeling trips anyways.

Glass half full?

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
This is a true statement. However, I'd prefer to be the one to mar the surfaces! (y)
Did you explain how to adjust the arms so that the use of any tool on the aluminum was not required? It isn't intuitive to any alignment tech and without instruction and fair warning that penalties are involved, there is no reason for them to treat your control arms any differently than they treat any other.