A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

One more detail in preparation for several days of wheeling. Added a Nth Degree skid to the rear differential.

20220612_200233.jpg

Couldn't be happier with the results. Took my time, checked and rechecked, filed the edges of the armor panels, taped the top and sides, and did it the way I knew it should be done. Everything fits and lines up like it should.

I did end up replacing two of the torn bolts with grade 8 her head. I did think about drilling the hinge to counter sink the other two, but decided it wasn't worth it.

I still need to add the rub rail, but will wait until the other side is done.

View attachment 336680

View attachment 336681

View attachment 336682

Damn that looks perfect. I dunno that I would even put the rub rail on. I’d leave it like that.

Reactions: Irun
Couldn't be happier with the results. Took my time, checked and rechecked, filed the edges of the armor panels, taped the top and sides, and did it the way I knew it should be done. Everything fits and lines up like it should.

I did end up replacing two of the torn bolts with grade 8 her head. I did think about drilling the hinge to counter sink the other two, but decided it wasn't worth it.

I still need to add the rub rail, but will wait until the other side is done.

View attachment 336680

View attachment 336681

View attachment 336682

Very nice. Glad you can keep it. It seems like carefully built, well maintained rigs like yours are likely to sell for way less than their true worth, unless you get lucky with a really knowledgable buyer. Most folks don’t know enough to look beyond “larger tires”🙄 Are you going to add any type of fender flare or keep it like that?

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
Very nice. Glad you can keep it. It seems like carefully built, well maintained rigs like yours are likely to sell for way less than their true worth, unless you get lucky with a really knowledgable buyer. Most folks don’t know enough to look beyond “larger tires”🙄 Are you going to add any type of fender flare or keep it like that?

I'll add the stock flares back at some point soon.

Reactions: Woodrow
Those skids worth the money?

That's what I get for reading responses on my phone! :( This is the second Nth degree differential skid I've installed and they are the best I've seen. Reason being, it tucks up neatly to the housing, just above the bottom, so you loose zero clearance. Its purpose is really to protect the bottom of the driveshaft and pinion yoke. Since installing them I've suffered no snapped 8mm U-joint strap bolts or busted yoke ears, like I did before using them. Unfortunately, they stopped making these years ago and you have to get lucky enough to find one.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RINC and Wildman

Surprised very few ever pick up on that little detail. Or why that is square cut instead of a long tapered point that fills in the space. The first reason it that little point can get tagged and bent outward to stab someone in the leg, the second reason is material usage. If you don't put the point on, you can cut the TJ corners across a 48" wide sheet.
1655128313342.png

I just need this armor to get back in stock so I can get some installed. Learning a lot from reading and pictures for when the time comes.

Anyone want to buy the full suite if Smittybuilt steel armor? Might be worth more in scrap than I could sell it for here haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Irun
Surprised very few ever pick up on that little detail. Or why that is square cut instead of a long tapered point that fills in the space. The first reason it that little point can get tagged and bent outward to stab someone in the leg, the second reason is material usage. If you don't put the point on, you can cut the TJ corners across a 48" wide sheet.
View attachment 336773

When I first looked at that I wondered, but quickly realized a point there would be a very bad idea. It's far less likely to get snagged with the square cut.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Reactions: Lax22