A rebuild of #miRustyJeep...

Clevite over the drivers side Johnny Joint? I was looking at this guy...

View attachment 317321

From barnes as a way to reinforce the bracket. I currently don't have a problem so I probably shouldn't fuck with it, but idle hands and all that...I also don't have a way to expand exhaust tubing.
You can put that on after you weld in the tubing.

Reactions: rasband
You can put that on after you weld in the tubing.
My Google Fu is decently strong tonight...I found this post

1647917887796.png

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-joint-bushing—will-it-fit.31051/post-500756'
but you don't mention the exhaust tubing...but I remember hearing you talk about it before. In the post I linked, it looks like you just used the drivers side housing and welded it in?

Reactions: rasband

View attachment 317350

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-joint-bushing—will-it-fit.31051/post-500756'
but you don't mention the exhaust tubing...but I remember hearing you talk about it before. In the post I linked, it looks like you just used the drivers side housing and welded it in?
I have the Barnes gusset sitting here and the JJ to copy what you're looking at. Definitely interested to see your result since it sounds like you're ahead of me getting to it.

Reactions: Mike_H

View attachment 317350

I did but I prefer not to after running into several instances where the small JJs are just not enough control.

Reactions: CV04TJR and Mike_H
Gotcha. So now you use the clevite and exhaust tubing... Just like you said earlier. Sorry for being dense, lol.
You don't have an expander but you might know a machinist or several. Take a new bushing with you, whip out your calipers, estimate a length and press fit allowance based off the stock hole in the mount and have a piece of tube opened up.

You don't have an expander but you might know a machinist or several. Take a new bushing with you, whip out your calipers, estimate a length and press fit allowance based off the stock hole in the mount and have a piece of tube opened up.
There is that...I can just imagine the look I'd get, LOL. Probably better if I cludge my way through myself. I can use a lathe...kinda. Well enough to not wrap myself up in it, anyway.

One last question (no promises) what do you open the hole in the axle bracket up with? Sanding roll on a die grinder and lots of patience?

There is that...I can just imagine the look I'd get, LOL. Probably better if I cludge my way through myself. I can use a lathe...kinda. Well enough to not wrap myself up in it, anyway.

One last question (no promises) what do you open the hole in the axle bracket up with? Sanding roll on a die grinder and lots of patience?
We don't open the hole. We are repairing a mount that has lost the interference fit required to press in a bushing. We make a new barrel that fits between the two inner faces of the OEM mount that has the required interference fit to make it all work again without replacing the whole mount.

After the barrel is made, we use the old bushing to line it up, weld it in, remove the old bushing, press in new bushing.

Man...This shim thing has gotten ridiculous! I think I posted that I ordered some shims from Mcmaster...a variety of 75MM OD x 60mm ID shims to use for Pinion Depth. They showed up yesterday...and wouldn't you know it, one package of 0.3mm (about 0.012") thick ones were noticeable smaller diameter than the others. Packaging was "correct" but the shims measured about 3mm small on OD and ID. I was able to put enough other shims together to get me back to factory...but man. McMaster is good about fixing their screw-up though. I should have replacements today.

I also got my carrier bearing shims in the mail today too...so I should be able to start running patterns on these gears. What a hassle...

Last edited:
Man...This shim thing has gotten ridiculous! I think I posted that I ordered some shims from Mcmaster...a variety of 75MM OD x 60mm ID shims to use for Pinion Depth. They showed up yesterday...and wouldn't you know it, one package of 0.3mm (about 0.012") thick ones were noticeable smaller diameter than the others. Packaging was "correct" but the shims measured about 3mm small on OD and ID. I was able to put enough other shims together to get me back to factory...but man. McMaster is good about fixing their screw-up though. I should have replacements today.

I also got my carrier bearing shims in the mail today too...so I should be able to start running patterns on these gears. What a hassle...
I ordered some bolts to get me by on a few of the heavy duty clamps the other evening after work. While I was there I ordered the 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum bar x 3 pieces x 6' long.

When I checked out, it said the aluminum had to come out of the Cleveland warehouse. UPS and Fedex showed up the next day with both parts of the order within minutes of each other.

I ordered some bolts to get me by on a few of the heavy duty clamps the other evening after work. While I was there I ordered the 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum bar x 3 pieces x 6' long.

When I checked out, it said the aluminum had to come out of the Cleveland warehouse. UPS and Fedex showed up the next day with both parts of the order within minutes of each other.
I'm only about a 5 hour drive from their main warehouse near Chicago. I've actually been there for a project at a previous employer...it is just as you'd imagine...HUGE and lots of automation.

Edit: I just got a notice that UPS dropped off the new shims. I called around 5 PM yesterday and got them less than 24 hours later. McMaster might a bit more expensive on some things...but they do have their poop in a group.

I'm only about a 5 hour drive from their main warehouse near Chicago. I've actually been there for a project at a previous employer...it is just as you'd imagine...HUGE and lots of automation.

Edit: I just got a notice that UPS dropped off the new shims. I called around 5 PM yesterday and got them less than 24 hours later. McMaster might a bit more expensive on some things...but they do have their poop in a group.
Seems most of my McMaster stuff comes out of Chicago and it's always next day.

For shims when I regeared my axles I ordered a Yukon shim kit off Amazon the revolution kit didn't have near enough shims to get it done right.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Seems most of my McMaster stuff comes out of Chicago and it's always next day.

For shims when I regeared my axles I ordered a Yukon shim kit off Amazon the revolution kit didn't have near enough shims to get it done right.
Yeah...I didn't order the Yukon kit because I didn't see why it should be almost double the price of the others. I know why, now. I hate it when I try to plan a project out to go smoothly and I end up missing parts. Drives me bonkers. Its hard enough trying some of this stuff for the first time and when there are incomplete and/or incorrect parts it only adds difficulty. At this point, I'd have been money ahead to buy the Yukon kits for 440 dollars...I have 260 into the two RC kits, another 200 or so into bearings and about 100 into extra shims.

Yeah...I didn't order the Yukon kit because I didn't see why it should be almost double the price of the others. I know why, now. I hate it when I try to plan a project out to go smoothly and I end up missing parts. Drives me bonkers. Its hard enough trying some of this stuff for the first time and when there are incomplete and/or incorrect parts it only adds difficulty. At this point, I'd have been money ahead to buy the Yukon kits for 440 dollars...I have 260 into the two RC kits, another 200 or so into bearings and about 100 into extra shims.
I mean like this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078UBWRK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I'm betting I'll be in the same boat. I ordered a couple different shim kits to do my 44 rear and HP30 front. Having not re-geared something in nearly 20 years, I'm sure I'll end up short on something. Regardless, like you, I'll keep moving forward, because I want to do it my self!

I got my first pattern... It's too deep. It took me about 7 tries to get backlash correct. I still don't have enough of the right sizes of shims. Plus, I'm learning on the fly, so my first few results didn't jive with what I expected. I think it will get better from now on...

This test was 0.007" backlash and a pinion depth shim of 0.061.
IMG_20220323_201915832.jpg
IMG_20220323_201928278.jpg

Next test will be at 0.050" and I'm still trying to get backlash correct. Right now, I'm at 0.015, so I have to reconfigure my carrier shims. Trying to maintain roughly the same carrier preload, while shifting the carrier side to side is tough with the limited selection of shims I have. Smallest one is 0.012, so I may need to buy some more...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: Apparition