A recipe for an affordable but quality 2.5" lift

Are all springs pretty much the same? Some of the lift kits like the Quadratec one above advertise as 2.5” and they have no body lift. I keep seeing the OME called 2.5”. Is it the OEM HD springs that give a little more lift?

When I search for springs, I find 2” or 4”.

Rancho shocks seem to be the favorite. How are the OME shocks?

Last edited:
Are all springs pretty much the same? Some of the lift kits like the Quadratec one above advertise as 2.5” and they have no body lift. I keep seeing the OME called 2.5”. Is it the OEM HD springs that give a little more lift?

When I search for springs, I find 2” or 4”.

Rancho shocks seem to be the favorite. How are the OME shocks?
OME will give around 2.5 inches with their included spacer. The springs alone are two inch lift springs.

I can't speak to their shocks, or ranchos. I haven't run either.

Reactions: Jeff Allan
I think I"m going to go with this lift and buy these parts individually. Been reading for days, and the more I read, the more I keep changing my mind. lol..

Anyone have a suggestion on another shock that rides well, like these Ranchos? I'm up North and reading they have thin paint and they rust fast, I don't really want to mess with painting them. Plus, I really was thinking the OME yellow would look cool on my black Rubi. But reading their shocks ride harsh now, as they redid them for the bigger JKU.

I think I"m going to go with this lift and buy these parts individually. Been reading for days, and the more I read, the more I keep changing my mind. lol..

Anyone have a suggestion on another shock that rides well, like these Ranchos? I'm up North and reading they have thin paint and they rust fast, I don't really want to mess with painting them. Plus, I really was thinking the OME yellow would look cool on my black Rubi. But reading their shocks ride harsh now, as they redid them for the bigger JKU.
Paint them. Simple. There is no shock that rides as well or is as well reviewed as the ranchos. There is no close second choice.

Strip the red boot (or not), prep them good and hit them with your favorite anti rust spray paint.

Im with you on this lift tho. Cant go wrong. Everyone on the forum seems to be in agreement with this thread. I was gonna do a full emu with rancho shocks. But im gonna put together this build.

Reactions: fuse and Jeff Allan
Hello Chris,

Any reasons you didn't add to the list some bump stop extensions like Codaman initially suggested ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
I can't speak for @Chris but bump stops are kinda unique to each Jeep. Basically, you measure what you need and install them. There isn't a one size fits all formula.

X2 to this.

Bump stop is something that is unique to every Jeep, and while we can guess how much you'll need, there's no way to be safe and say for sure without cycling the suspension.

That being said, a lot of people just use stacked hockey pucks for bump stops, such as these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q87ZHD4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: fuse
Thank you very much for the fast reply !

I'm gonna check this all out before purchasing the kit :) I'll maybe have some more questions along the way !

Reactions: Chris
a lot of people just use stacked hockey pucks
Wait... for real? So just drill a hole and bolt them in?

Also, I noticed this kit does not include: adjustable front track bar, new control arms, SYE, DC drive shaft, or sway bar disconnects. Am I to assume that for a lift of this size none of these are required? I think especially for an LJ (as in my case), the SYE and upgraded drive shaft would not be needed.

Wait... for real? So just drill a hole and bolt them in?

Also, I noticed this kit does not include: adjustable front track bar, new control arms, SYE, DC drive shaft, or sway bar disconnects. Am I to assume that for a lift of this size none of these are required? I think especially for an LJ (as in my case), the SYE and upgraded drive shaft would not be needed.

Yes, of course you have to cycle the suspension however in order to know how many you need.

You won’t need those things for an Unlimited at this lift height. One of the benefits of a longer driveshaft.

So this really is in the sweet spot. The most lift you can get before a major step up in cost, while still doing it properly. Functionally, what would the difference be between 3.25" of lift this way (combo suspension and spacers) vs 3.25" of just suspension lift? A little more wheel travel perhaps? I'm sure there are plenty of alternate opinions on what "properly" means, but I think we can all agree that this isn't a typical "budget boost", but it is boost and it is budget.

I've been reading and reading about lifts and components and my head is swimming. It's easy to get carried away with wanting the best and coolest gear, but practically I don't even know if I want to do the kind of wheeling that would require that. I'm currently on 33" BFGs with what looks like a 2" budget boost. The PO did some good work with the 33s and 4.10 regearing, but completely skimped on the suspension. But I get no rubbing when turning so I think the backspacing is correct and I just need a little more quantity and a whole lot of quality added to the lift. It's a good place to start.

So this really is in the sweet spot. The most lift you can get before a major step up in cost, while still doing it properly. Functionally, what would the difference be between 3.25" of lift this way (combo suspension and spacers) vs 3.25" of just suspension lift? A little more wheel travel perhaps? I'm sure there are plenty of alternate opinions on what "properly" means, but I think we can all agree that this isn't a typical "budget boost", but it is boost and it is budget.

I've been reading and reading about lifts and components and my head is swimming. It's easy to get carried away with wanting the best and coolest gear, but practically I don't even know if I want to do the kind of wheeling that would require that. I'm currently on 33" BFGs with what looks like a 2" budget boost. The PO did some good work with the 33s and 4.10 regearing, but completely skimped on the suspension. But I get no rubbing when turning so I think the backspacing is correct and I just need a little more quantity and a whole lot of quality added to the lift. It's a good place to start.
The main reason to do the body lift is to be set up for a tummy tuck, at least that's my reason for wanting one. I'm doing this type of lift to get the extra clearance needed for the wheeling I've done, while keeping it relatively stock and inexpensive. After this type of lift I'll do a tummy tuck, higher clearance gas tank skid, and probably put skids on the LCA mounts because with small tires and lift I want the most clearance possible and I've scraped lca mounts already. My stock height TJ does fine with 31's in the moderate wheeling I've done, but I can see where the tire has already caught the fender before so that's what the lift is for. Once you get into more suspension lift it gets expensive with new control arms and whatnot

Thanks to @CodaMan for laying the ground work for this one as he inspired me to write this thread as a resource for others.

The issue is that I see people constantly posting about purchasing the OME 2.5" lift, Rough County 2.5" lifts, or others "lift kits". In reality, I think you can save a lot of money and get better quality parts if you piece together your own lift. The problem I have with the OME lift is that the newer shocks they switched to years ago ride terrible in comparison to the shocks they used to use. Rough Country is the same way in that the shocks they include in their kits are absolutely terrible.

For the most part, springs are springs, but the shocks are really what's going to affect your ride quality. That being said, below you'll find a perfect recipe for a 2" lift that uses quality parts and won't break the bank. In addition, this setup shouldn't require a transfer case drop in most cases.

With the addition of a Savvy 1.25" body lift and a 1" Savvy motor mount lift, you can easily turn this lift into a 3.25" lift and set yourself up for a tummy tuck.

Hopefully this thread serves as a resource to others. You're much better off piecing your own lift together as oppose to buying a "kit" in most cases.
I have a stock 06 Wrwngler X. I want to raise it just a bit. I put the recommended Rancho shocks on it when the originals crapped out a year ago. If I install the ProComp springs, the OME rear track bar relocation bracket, the Rokmen 1/2” AL body lift, and the Daystar .75” spacers, do I need longer bump stops( mine are crap and I have to replace them anyway)?? And will this affect the driveline so much that I need a SYE..??

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I have a stock 06 Wrwngler X. I want to raise it just a bit. I put the recommended Rancho shocks on it when the originals crapped out a year ago. If I install the ProComp springs, the OME rear track bar relocation bracket, the Rokmen 1/2” AL body lift, and the Daystar .75” spacers, do I need longer bump stops( mine are crap and I have to replace them anyway)?? And will this affect the driveline so much that I need a SYE..??

Yes you’ll need to adjust the bump stops and yes you’ll really want to start thinking about a SYE, CV driveshaft, and a full set of adjustable control arms at this point. Do it once and do it right 👍

Mine required some additional bump stop but not a DC drive shaft. I have a Rubicon so no SYE required. I would try it and see if you get vibrations, if you do you can lower the TC just a hair until you replace the drive shaft.

So what would I have to do to check how much bump stop I'd need to add? Is there a good thread on this? I'm going to add the taller springs in the next few weeks with tax return money, so I'm starting the process of figuring out how to get it done. I'm sure springs are a pretty easy thing to do but any threads that have been made about installing this would help.

So what would I have to do to check how much bump stop I'd need to add? Is there a good thread on this? I'm going to add the taller springs in the next few weeks with tax return money, so I'm starting the process of figuring out how to get it done. I'm sure springs are a pretty easy thing to do but any threads that have been made about installing this would help.
I'm not sure if there's a specific thread, but if you use the key words "bump stop cycle suspension" in the forum search, you'll find plenty of things to read.