A TJ sized camper

Speaking of TJ-sized campers... while I had the trailer out getting it ready for the furniture trip I had a visit from Brent Nelson, owner of Tentrax. He's been camping around New England with a Tentrax trailer and on his way past my town he stopped in for a visit. Here are a few quick driveway shots. He's driving a big Ram pickup, not his YJ, so I didn't include the tow vehicle in the photos.

1594157974833.png

The trailer is on 38's (!)

1594158069622.png

It's also a prototype on a Timbren axle-less suspension.

1594158118388.png

it's also got a prototype Trax Kitchen installed, I didn't take any new photos of the kitchen today so here's a photo I took a few months ago. The Trax Kitchen fits on the tongue of most trailers and includes a fridge, sink with pump, lots of counter space and internal storage space and a fridge battery inside.

Proto1b_zpsg7pwprg2.jpg

We had a good time today talking Jeeps and trailers.

Speaking of TJ-sized campers... while I had the trailer out getting it ready for the furniture trip I had a visit from Brent Nelson, owner of Tentrax. He's been camping around New England with a Tentrax trailer and on his way past my town he stopped in for a visit. Here are a few quick driveway shots. He's driving a big Ram pickup, not his YJ, so I didn't include the tow vehicle in the photos.

View attachment 175256

The trailer is on 38's (!)

View attachment 175258

It's also a prototype on a Timbren axle-less suspension.

View attachment 175259

it's also got a prototype Trax Kitchen installed, I didn't take any new photos of the kitchen today so here's a photo I took a few months ago. The Trax Kitchen fits on the tongue of most trailers and includes a fridge, sink with pump, lots of counter space and internal storage space and a fridge battery inside.

View attachment 175261

We had a good time today talking Jeeps and trailers.

What are the dimensions of the kitchen?

I bought a trailer 2 days ago and it is 72 inches long. I'd like to buy a Dinoot J series, but I'm not sure which one would work best with it. Maybe a J series compact (52 inches) and that trail kitchen (if it can be purchased)?

What are the dimensions of the kitchen?

I bought a trailer 2 days ago and it is 72 inches long. I'd like to buy a Dinoot J series, but I'm not sure which one would work best with it. Maybe a J series compact (52 inches) and that trail kitchen (if it can be purchased)?
The Dinoot "Compact" is 52" long and the "Extended" is 72" long.

The Tentrax Trax Kitchen is designed so that it can easily mount on the tongue of most trailers, so if your trailer frame is 72" not counting the tongue you should be able to mount a Dinoot Extended tub on it, assuming it's an a-frame tongue, not just a straight bar.

The Trax Kitchen will be available in two widths, 56" and 42". Since the DInoot tub is the same width as a Jeep tub, the wider Trax kitchen is roughly the same with as the tub, and it has 14" more storage inside than the narrow Trax Kitchen. The narrow Trax Kitchen is perfect for a military trailer like an M-416 (or my fiberglass military trailer - a Dinoot M Series - that I posted photos or earlier.

The Trax Kitchen is expected to be be released shortly, the virus has delayed it slightly.

Last edited:
The Dinoot "Compact" is 52" long and the "Extended" is 72" long.

The Tentrax Trax Kitchen is designed so that it can easily mount on the tongue of most trailers, so if your trailer frame is 72" not counting the tongue you should be able to mount a Dinoot Extended tub on it, assuming it's an a-frame tongue, not just a straight bar.

The Trax Kitchen will be available in two widths, 56" and 42". Since the DInoot tub is the same width as a Jeep tub, the wider Trax kitchen is roughly the same with as the tub, and it has 14" more storage inside than the narrow Trax Kitchen. The narrow Trax Kitchen is perfect for a military trailer like an M-416 (or my fiberglass military trailer - a Dinoot M Series - that I posted photos or earlier.

The Trax Kitchen is expected to be be released shortly, the virus has delayed it slightly.

I will definitely be looking into a Trax kitchen for my Dinoot once they are available.

The Tentrax opened up. This is their new design tent. Lots of windows for airflow and very quick setup. Brent tells me they'll also soon be releasing a roof top tent with a similar design that can be used on top of a Jeep or a trailer.

1594204110758.png

Did about 800 miles round trip with the military trailer the other day picking up some new furniture (actually "new to us" antique furniture); we encountered heavy thunderstorms on the way home and the "covered wagon" top kept the furniture inside dry - this was the first time I pulled the trailer with that top any distance in a heavy rain.

As long as I had the trailer out, after unloading the furniture I tried the MORryde Trail Kichen in it for size; I hadn't tried the kitchen in this trailer yet.

TrailKitchenMilitary2_zpsbvbjfbyp.jpg

TrailKitchenMilitary3_zpsbvvw0jhi.jpg

The Trail Kitchen (and even most popular fridges even without slides) are a bit tall to it fit in a small military trailer, so one way to set up a military trailer for camping use with a fridge or kitchen would be to build a "chuck wagon" top for it. Something like this concept image:

ChuckwagonConcept2_zpsse1zxvdv.jpg

I built a proof-of-concept of that design a while back, this was before I designed the Trail Kitchen so there's no kitchen in these photos...

MDoneRiser_zpse63v1eme.jpg

Anyway just posting this FWIW to show some ideas in case anyone is planning to use a military trailer as trail camper with RTT and a kitchen.

Looking at all those campers, im officially in the camper buying market. My wife only has one request.. That it has a toilet. Im trying to sell her on the idea of a porta potti inside a tent set up near the camper. Not sure I can get that idea approved. :rolleyes: LOL. So Im looking for a TJ towable camper with toilet. Any members have recommendations?

Thank you.

Looking at all those campers, im officially in the camper buying market. My wife only has one request.. That it has a toilet. Im trying to sell her on the idea of a porta potti inside a tent set up near the camper. Not sure I can get that idea approved. :rolleyes: LOL. So Im looking for a TJ towable camper with toilet. Any members have recommendations?

Thank you.
This is what we use on our teardrop, porta-poti goes in side, we also use as a changing room.
Camp-Inn Side Tent
http://www.tinycamper.com/tent/
tent10g.jpg

tent5g.jpg

tent1g.jpg

Did about 800 miles round trip with the military trailer the other day picking up some new furniture (actually "new to us" antique furniture); we encountered heavy thunderstorms on the way home and the "covered wagon" top kept the furniture inside dry - this was the first time I pulled the trailer with that top any distance in a heavy rain.

As long as I had the trailer out, after unloading the furniture I tried the MORryde Trail Kichen in it for size; I hadn't tried the kitchen in this trailer yet.

View attachment 179613

View attachment 179614

The Trail Kitchen (and even most popular fridges even without slides) are a bit tall to it fit in a small military trailer, so one way to set up a military trailer for camping use with a fridge or kitchen would be to build a "chuck wagon" top for it. Something like this concept image:

View attachment 179615

I built a proof-of-concept of that design a while back, this was before I designed the Trail Kitchen so there's no kitchen in these photos...

View attachment 179616

Anyway just posting this FWIW to show some ideas in case anyone is planning to use a military trailer as trail camper with RTT and a kitchen.
Good combo. Also loving that Rover top on the Wrangler.

Thank you.
Make it simple and easy with a pop-up tent trailer. This is mine with my present and previous TJ.
CIMG2591.jpg
JeepTrailerFromFront~2.jpg

I have looked a lot at the options out there and am leaning heavily towards a pop up. Even those can push the weight limit or well exceed it. A/C and some sort of ability to keep stuff frozen/refrigerated is a must for us. That and sleeping 4.

I recently added TJ wheels to my TJ sized camper (previously shown in post #12). I also added flat top fenders which are a lot more practical.

View attachment 179633
There’s a few different campers I’ve been looking at the 9.0 with the off road package is one I keep coming back to for the money and weight it checks a lot of boxes. Did you change the axel or was doing the fenders enough to fit the Jeep wheels? With a wood frame how do you think over time it will hold up running it on dirt roads and one of the things I have a question about is the refrigerator do they just Offer it with the 12v/120v how long can you run it off the battery and can you get it with a 3 way fridge?

What else did you consider, I’ve looked at the inTech flyer expedition but think it just a little heavy for my Tj, the aliner ascape for more money and no off roadish version, the 10’ ranger/titanium, Braxton bushwacker, roof top tent and a few others all probably double the price of the clipper.

. . . The Trail Kitchen (and even most popular fridges even without slides) are a bit tall to it fit in a small military trailer, so one way to set up a military trailer for camping use with a fridge or kitchen would be to build a "chuck wagon" top for it.

That is what I ran into with my Bantam trailer when I restored it about 20 years ago. The chuckbox that my father built in the mid-1960's was fine for the back of the family CJ-3B, but was too tall for the trailer. I could have fabricated a different kitchen box, but the original chuckbox is now a family heirloom and stays with the trailer no matter what, so I needed a different trailer cover than the typical tarp or lid.

My inspiration was the style of top used on those trailers in the 1960's by the Chuckwalla Jeep Club of SoCal (which were designed either by Basil Smith of Smittybilt or Pete Condos of Con-Ferr), and the covered wagon style tops offered by Bantam as a dealer option:

bant2.jpg

image004.jpg

My top was custom made for my trailer by the original owner of Can-Back Canvas when it was still located in Azusa CA. The company was sold, relocated to AZ, and is now inactive as far as I know. Too bad - they were great tops.

HPIM0129.jpg

There’s a few different campers I’ve been looking at the 9.0 with the off road package is one I keep coming back to for the money and weight it checks a lot of boxes. Did you change the axel or was doing the fenders enough to fit the Jeep wheels? With a wood frame how do you think over time it will hold up running it on dirt roads and one of the things I have a question about is the refrigerator do they just Offer it with the 12v/120v how long can you run it off the battery and can you get it with a 3 way fridge?

What else did you consider, I’ve looked at the inTech flyer expedition but think it just a little heavy for my Tj, the aliner ascape for more money and no off roadish version, the 10’ ranger/titanium, Braxton bushwacker, roof top tent and a few others all probably double the price of the clipper.

Both versions of the Clipper 9.0 use a Dexter 2,000 lb. axle with electric brakes. Mine came with 185/75/13 tires. The V-PKG comes with 235/75/15 AT tires. I converted to the same size larger tires and used 2” spacers to fit the Jeep wheels. I have a 3,500 lb. axle that I might install but to be honest I really don’t think it’s necessary.

The wood frame body is the weak point of these and similar trailers. I have run it on a few dirt and gravel roads and so far so good. The way we use it most though is to get to a campground and use it as a base camp while we head off in the Jeep to explore, kayak, bike, etc.

We don’t camp at electric sites so the fridge was kind of useless to us. I removed it and the air conditioner too. That reduced the weight by 72 lbs. which is considerable in that the trailer only weighs 1,080 lbs. stock. We currently use a 12V cooler that resides in the Jeep. I don’t always take this trailer or my other one so that makes better sense. I will be replacing the 12V cooler with a 12V fridge soon.

We looked at a few other trailers. I really liked the InTech Flyer and some of the NoBo models were good. Like the Clipper, the NoBo is also a Forest River trailer and not the same quality as the InTech. What sold us though is the ability to stand up in the trailer and with the rack I made the ease of carrying 2 kayaks.

There isn’t a lot of owner info on the Clippers. If you’re interested, this "Teardrop and Tiny Trailers Forum" link is kind of scattered but it shows a bit of what I and a few others have done with them. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=71585

I refer to this as “our” trailer. I’m just finishing another trailer (below) that is “my” trailer for when I camp by myself. It’s a little more rugged. With the trailer done I will then get on with a DIY roof top tent that will still allow me to transport my kayak and bike.

20200731_124709.jpg
20200713_162806.jpg

Last edited:

Thank you.

We use a privacy tent and a Dometic porta-potty. It's easy to transport, easy to use, odor free and even easy to dump ... which is my job. We also use an Eccotemp L5 propane on demand water heater. It's carried inside the trailer and I set it up on the side of the trailer when we camp. We can shower inside the privacy tent or outdoors in the right conditions. Having hot water is great just to rinse off and of course for doing the dishes ... also my job.

20-07-06 9.JPG
20-07-06 20.jpg

Reactions: Ephry73