Advice for first time on the rocks

You're going to have some people here tell you you should park that thing until you get a Mopar replacement bolt torqued within +/- 0.001% of factory spec, and others will tell you to just send it.

I'm in the send it camp. The body is secured to the frame in like 10 other locations. It'll be fine. Replace it when you get a chance. If the body does fly off the frame, be sure somebody is rolling video on it.

The exact same bolt was broken off on mine when I got it over a year ago.I've wheeled it fine without a problem. I am concerned though that when I get rocker armor that uses those front two body mounts to secure it that the one that will be actually bolted in will not be enough.

The exact same bolt was broken off on mine when I got it over a year ago.I've wheeled it fine without a problem. I am concerned though that when I get rocker armor that uses those front two body mounts to secure it that the one that will be actually bolted in will not be enough.

Sliders should never be using body mounts as a means of attachment.

Lots of good advice here. As @Longwhitejeep said, there are plenty of open trails there that you'll be fine on. Other than what's been said, carry a spare 5-760X and 1310 u joint, along with the tools to change them. You likely won't need them, but don't want to be the person that didn't come prepared.

If you venture into the rocks, be aware of where your axle side driveshaft yokes are. Bashing them into rocks can lead to broken retaining strap bolts, or broken yoke ears. The only other significant thing to be aware of is the stock front axle lower control arm mounts are susceptible to bending. None of these or things to worry about, you just need to know you vehicles vulnerabilities and minimize putting yourself into a bad line or position.

That said, the number one rule is apply common sense liberally. If it feels or sounds like a bad idea, listen to the voices in your head. Oh yes, this one has been stated, but I have to say it, stay the hell away from anything that looks like a mud pit. That crap will get into everything and you'll be paying for it later!

Last edited:
As said above, avoid any rocker guards/sliders that attach to the body mounts or mount to the frame via brackets. Go with rocker guards that bolt directly and only to the tub, they are far stronger and also won't get hung up on trail obstacles.

Advice for on the rocks is Patron or better Tequila and Cointreau not just house Triple Sec, and Zing Zang mix, it’s the best. Wait, we talking Margaritas? I’m a Texan, I may be off.

Of course that’s for AFTER a successful trip (or maybe and unsuccessful trip too but hopefully not) ha.

Good advice from these guys, but the hardest thing to manage is adrenaline (ie panic). Don’t succumb, “Be like a bunch of Fonzies, we’re gonna be cool!).

And stay IN the Jeep while moving, a smashed arm like my sons close friend right now is 7 surgeries in from a flipped Razor, just trying to save holding something with his hand. “ keep all hands and arms inside the vehicle throughout the entire ride, ha”

And stay IN the Jeep while moving, a smashed arm like my sons close friend right now is 7 surgeries in from a flipped Razor, just trying to save holding something with his hand. “ keep all hands and arms inside the vehicle throughout the entire ride, ha”
X2, the number of broken arms and legs caused by trying to save something or stop a rollover in progress is crazy. If a roll becomes evident keep a tight grip on the steering wheel with both hands and hang on. And it goes without saying to not be a STUIPD FUCK and wheel without a seatbelt. A friend was killed in a rollover because he refused to wear seat belts offroad. He wore them on the highways but wouldn't offroad claiming he wanted to be able to "jump out" during the roll to avoid the Jeep. He didn't, his TJ rolled over him killing him on the spot after he fell out.

It's also really pretty this time of year up there. Here is a few shots of the park in my old rig to show some of the trails you may end up to give you an idea of what to maybe expect. Most images of what you search of the park online shows shots from bunny trail which is one the most extreme trails there. It has lead to shying a lot of people away from the place in the past. It is fun to watch and you probably pass it going to a few different trails. It's fun to stop and watch if possible.

Most rock trails are a few glacier deposits dumped a lot of rock in valley's there. A lot of them run up hill so keep that in mind of you need to turn perpendicular to the hill side.

20171028_092709.jpg

20171028_153648.jpg

Check your low hang up points. Carry a few spare u joints, caliper bolts. Try to picture where the low spots are on your rig when you climbing over rocks. Look down the trail a bit and plan your line accordingly.

X2, the number of broken arms and legs caused by trying to save something or stop a rollover in progress is crazy. If a roll becomes evident keep a tight grip on the steering wheel with both hands and hang on. And it goes without saying to not be a STUIPD FUCK and wheel without a seatbelt. A friend was killed in a rollover because he refused to wear seat belts offroad. He wore them on the highways but wouldn't offroad claiming he wanted to be able to "jump out" during the roll to avoid the Jeep. He didn't, his TJ rolled over him killing him on the spot after he fell out.

Jerry, I'm sorry to hear that. Freshman year in College I was in the back of a truck, country road 1am 65mph that went off the road and flipped. Story is long, God was there and no one died, but that hit to the ground forehead first and shoulder.....hurt bad, and that doesn't do it justice. 18 years old, I have never gotten in a vehicle without a belt, ever. Insurance payout I bought my first Jeep, 78 CJ5, but I earned it in pain.

The urge to reach an arm out to steady the Jeep is very strong. I know better, but have still found myself starting to do it out of instinct.

That urge is strong for sure! There is a video of a guy at Rausch I think that broke his arm doing that on a tree. If you can't bench 5000 pounds with one arm then keep your hands, arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times.

Watch at your own risk.

It's also really pretty this time of year up there. Here is a few shots of the park in my old rig to show some of the trails you may end up to give you an idea of what to maybe expect. Most images of what you search of the park online shows shots from bunny trail which is one the most extreme trails there. It has lead to shying a lot of people away from the place in the past. It is fun to watch and you probably pass it going to a few different trails. It's fun to stop and watch if possible.

Most rock trails are a few glacier deposits dumped a lot of rock in valley's there. A lot of them run up hill so keep that in mind of you need to turn perpendicular to the hill side.

View attachment 364906

View attachment 364907
Check your low hang up points. Carry a few spare u joints, caliper bolts. Try to picture where the low spots are on your rig when you climbing over rocks. Look down the trail a bit and plan your line accordingly.

This is beautiful!! Really is. I've travelled my whole career been to almost every state, I always say the difference in the East Coast is there is no Horizon, Texas especially West, the Horizon is huge. But....you trade that for the forest, and the leaves, and that terrain, dam I love this county.

Oh, and I think one of your brake lights are out! HA!

• USA Proud
Reactions: Irun
Totally disagree with this. Learn how to use the lockers, how they engage on different terrain, and how long they take to engage, and most importantly when they are needed. Engage them only when you anticipate their need... always locked puts unnecessary stress on the drivetrain, and will limit things like turning radius...
I'll disagree with that. If you are engaging and disengaging as you think is required times will come when you wish the locker was engaged but you're in a precarious enough position that you can't back out of it to lock it. And they don't lock instantly or lock while going straight forward or straight back so it may be too late to try to lock up.

And if you have a Rubicon it's doubly important to keep the rear locker engaged so its LSD doesn't break from it being spun and suddenly stopped when the tire hooks up. That's how the Rubicon's rear locker most commonly breaks.

For me I tend to keep my lockers engaged throughout the trail if it's any tougher than a dirt trail. I can certainly say I've never had a Rubicon locker or LSD break on me from that practice.

Reactions: JMT and Sancho
As said above, avoid any rocker guards/sliders that attach to the body mounts or mount to the frame via brackets. Go with rocker guards that bolt directly and only to the tub, they are far stronger and also won't get hung up on trail obstacles.

I know that's good advice...up till now I've been preoccupied with not drilling holes in the tub. I will be in the rocks a lot so I guess I need to get over it. Do you recommend anything specific? Savvy? I'm looking for protection when the rocker comes down on a rock or slides sideways into a tree or rock and don't need a step or anything. Would like to retain the OEM painted flairs but lose the little horizontal piece under the jeep logo since the paint on one of those is already cracked.

Oh, and they need to cost less than $100 :) No I'm prepared to buy once cry once...

EDIT: I see you've recommended the Savvy ones....I'll see if I can figure out what they are talking about w/the base/sliders...

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I know that's good advice...up till now I've been preoccupied with not drilling holes in the tub. I will be in the rocks a lot so I guess I need to get over it. Do you recommend anything specific? Savvy? I'm looking for protection when the rocker comes down on a rock or slides sideways into a tree or rock and don't need a step or anything. Would like to retain the OEM painted flairs but lose the little horizontal piece under the jeep logo since the paint on one of those is already cracked.

Oh, and they need to cost less than $100 :) No I'm prepared to buy once cry once...

EDIT: I see you've recommended the Savvy ones....I'll see if I can figure out what they are talking about w/the base/sliders...

Somewhere in the resources section is a big thread about choosing a good slider design and why one is better than another.

You want the attachment to be on the tub and torque boxes only. And wheelwell to wheelwell length is strongly encouraged.

Would like to retain the OEM painted flairs but lose the little horizontal piece under the jeep logo since the paint on one of those is already cracked.

Depending on where you wheel, your painted flares aren't going to last long.
I've been super careful to not hit my Rubicon flares, and I still got scratches on all 4.
It's not that I'm trying to protect them, but if I drive like they matter, then I'm less likely to hit my fenders and tub.
Needless to say, I've had some minor damage to my front fenders too.

Going to the Fall Crawl in Gore Va this year, and it is the first time I will be wheeling on any real rocks or obstacles. I have been off-road in mud (hate it) and fire roads and light trails, the largest rocks were probably the size of a basketball. So is there any advice you guys can give me on wheeling? I have and open diff automatic LJ. They have it setup in different lines you can choose, and I chose line 4 out of 10. It was described as possible body damage, 33 or 35 inch tire required, and open or locked diffs. I know the basics like putting your tire on the obstacle and airing down and bringing tools for possible repairs.

See you there, I'll probably run with the 6 group with either "Tree" or Lee.

1. Lean your seat slightly more upright so you do not experience back fatigue from leaning forward to look over your hood.
2. Watch your spotter and do what he says
3. Aim for keeping your rig level
4. Don't spin your wheels
5. Stay calm
6. Know where everything in your rig is so you can keep eyes ahead and just reach
7. If you have a ton of keys on your keychain, remove them so they are not swinging around all day (shouldn't have a lot of keys hanging on the key cylinder anyway)
8. When you stop and get out, kill the rig and put the parking brake on.
9. if you have them, keep your lockers engaged at all times (except in rare situations)
10. Keep your thumbs and fingers out of the steering wheel
11. Don't reach out the window to keep the rig from sliding into a rock or wall (you aren't that strong)
Why assume gender?