New York After 15 years of design and fabrication, time to downsize

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscherb

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Price
Various prices for different items
If you've followed my threads on various forums over the years you've seen me design and build dozens of fiberglass, metal and fabric projects to enhance my Jeeps. Many of them have become commercial products and many of them were just one-offs for my own use.

I'm running out of storage space so it's time to downsize. In this thread I'll offer lots of things that were parts of my projects and many of them will be free for the taking. I plan to get rid of molds for fiberglass parts, prototypes, preproduction samples and production examples of hardware I've designed, random Jeep body parts that were necessary for the design of custom parts or mold making, grilles and many other things. I also plan to get rid of preproduction samples of products and products sent to me to review that I don't have any need for myself.

MORryde spare tire cargo rack. In the photo I'm testing it with a cooler on Bull Canyon trail in Moab. Free to anyone who can use it.

BullCanyon1.jpg

And cresting a sand hill beneath the Gemini Bridges...

BullCanyon5.jpg

One of the companies I've done many product reviews for is Auxbeam (https://auxbeam.com), an LED lighting company. I'm using a number of their products on my Jeeps - high power 25,000 lumen LED headlight bulbs in my JKU (highly recommended), LED replacement driving lights mounted in the JKU bumper (I also recommend these), and some smaller pod lights on my roof rack. But there are a few I really don't have a use for and since I'm cleaning out my storage area, I'll offer these 4 for now:

- Auxbeam QP005972. 7" LED Halo headlights (https://auxbeam.com/products/spu00208) lights include a separate DRL and turn signal functions in a “halo” around the perimeter of the housing.

QP005972.jpg

AuxbeamQP008891installed.jpg

I'll probably be getting rid of the mold for the grille in the photo above, haven't gotten to that in the storage area yet.

- Auxbeam QP000081 LED Halo/Bluetooth headlights (https://auxbeam.com/products/qp000081) 7” LED headlights with rotating LED halos and Bluetooth RGB control – the halo ring on these consists of RGB LEDs that can be set to any color, and animation controlled by the smartphone that can add a rotating effect to the halo.

QP000081.jpg

AuxbeamRGBAppScreens.jpg

- 12” 5D PRO LED Light Bar (https://auxbeam.com/collections/led-light-bars-by-series-5d-pro-series/products/zd000677). 12,000 lumens, it's pretty powerful for a 12" light bar.

LightBar4a1024.jpg

- RA80XL 8-gang switch panel. A really nice way to control multiple electrical accessories in your Jeep with minimal wiring. https://auxbeam.com/products/qp009118.

ThreePanelSizes.jpg

All of the above are in their original packaging with whatever wiring, hardware and other accessories they came with. They have all been out of the box and tested for the reviews but are in new condition. Anyone interested in any of the above lights or the switch panel can contact me.

I've got a few more lighting products I may decide to get rid of, stay tuned.

Two CJ tailgates. $30 for the black one, $20 for the brown one.

CJTailgates.jpg

Blitz jerry can trays. Two are unused, two are slightly used. $20 each.

BlitzTrays.jpg

Two tub cowl sections, one is a TJ and the other is a CJ. Both are in reasonable shape and could be used to repair a damaged or rusty tub or for some other project.

CowlSectionTJ.jpg

CowlSectionCJ.jpg

I used both cowl sections to provide reference dimensions and mold masters for parts for my CJ Grille Kit for the TJ, shown here on my LJ compared to the CJ-8 I used to have:

WorldCabCompare_zpsc9a60d9a.jpg

Both are free to anyone who can used them. If nobody wants them, they'll go the the metal recycler.

I'll also be getting rid of some of the other parts/mold masters from the CJ Grille Kit project as soon as I get to them.

Most of the above can be shipped except the tub sections.

More things to come as I continue cleaning out my workshop and storage. I've also got a lot of JK/JKU things to get rid of but I won't post those here unless people want me to.

I'd love to grab those headlights (without the bluetooth) but I imagine that you don't want to deal with shipping.

This is great stuff!

Edit: I just saw you might do shipping for the lights.

If so, I'll take them.

I'd love to grab those headlights (without the bluetooth) but I imagine that you don't want to deal with shipping.

This is great stuff! (y)

Anything in the post can be shipped except the tub cowl sections.

This is awesome - you do great work! I will PM you now, I think I need to replace my LED's - flashers aren't working and I am losing my mind with it.

If you decide to let go of anything for CJ grille or cool cowl please put me in line. Have wanted those since first saw related thread.

I'm interested in the beefed up Auxbeam 8gang and maybe the light bar- as well as a bunch of stuff soon to come, I'm sure.

If you have any thoughts about a new home for the tailgate table you made a few years ago, let me know pease. it would be a pleasure to keep that piece out on the trail.

For anyone looking to add switches without the hassle of all the relays and massive amounts of wire, the Auxbeam switch panels are awesome. I've been using an 8 gang switch that originally came from @jscherb and just bought a new one with the auto-dim feature (timing is everything). I have been really pleased with their products and the customer support has been great.

The light bar and the Bluetooth headlights from the prior post are still available. The switch panel and the halo headlights are sold. The tailgates are also sold and the MORryde spare tire cargo carrier is spoken for as are the Blitz jerry can holders.

I've had several requests from people wanting the 6-gang switch panel, I'm thinking about that trying to decide if I want to keep it or if I should let it go.

If you decide to let go of anything for CJ grille or cool cowl please put me in line. Have wanted those since first saw related thread.
I will probably offer the mold masters for the CJ Grille Kit and perhaps the Cool Cowl mold or the masters, maybe a finished Cool Cowl, and probably the mold for the CJ/JL-Style Grille Overlay for the TJ but I haven't gotten to sorting through the molds and related masters yet, I'll be doing those next.

——

Cleaning out some more... I forgot I had these 3” pod lights: https://auxbeam.com/products/zd000713

In addition to the high-power white light, these are multifunction lights and are selectable between white output, amber/yellow output or both. The lights have six modes:

1. White
2. Amber
3. White + Amber Together
4. Flashing White
5. Flashing Amber
6. Alternately Flashing White and Amber

Modes 4, 5 and 6 seem like they might be useful in an emergency situation. This video demonstrates the six modes:

PodsDetail.jpg

PodsLit3.jpg

PodsLit.jpg

PodsLitYellow.jpg

Contact me if you're interested.

And I also dug out these from storage - a pair of their 7" driving lights and a pair of their 9" lights. Still thinking about whether I should keep them or not. I'll post them as available if I decide I won't be needing them.

7and9InchLights.jpg

If you have any thoughts about a new home for the tailgate table you made a few years ago, let me know please. it would be a pleasure to keep that piece out on the trail.

I have some news about that table - Overland Outfitters and MORryde borrowed my JKU for Overland West, they had spaces next to each other in the vendor expo. Besides all of the OO and MORryde gear installed on my JKU, I had done a new mount for that table using high-powered suction cups and it was stuck on the side windows of my JKU hardtop the entire show (without the swing-down MOLLE panel on the front, I didn't bring that to the show):

VacTable2.jpg

A MORryde executive took a look at the table and asked me what I was doing with it after the show, to which I replied "Letting you take it to Elkhart, I guess." That was the right answer, they are very interested in putting it in production, not only for the Jeep market, but with the suction mounts for the RV market. The last update I have from them is that they have produced a first preproduction sample, reviewed it and sent it back to engineering for a few changes. They tell me they plan to have the updated version through manufacturing in time for the Smoky Mountain Jeep Invasion (that event starts two weeks from yesterday) and that they will be bringing two examples to the show - one to display at the MORryde booth and one for me.

So it seems like it's on a path to production, on both tailgate-mount and suction-mount versions with the optional MOLLE panel. I'll post updates as I can. For those who haven't seen the table, here's a video of it on a TJ tailgate:

Next I'll start on fiberglass parts and molds, things like Cool Cowls...

The light bar and the Bluetooth headlights from the prior post are still available. The switch panel and the halo headlights are sold. The tailgates are also sold and the MORryde spare tire cargo carrier is spoken for as are the Blitz jerry can holders.

I've had several requests from people wanting the 6-gang switch panel, I'm thinking about that trying to decide if I want to keep it or if I should let it go.

I will probably offer the mold masters for the CJ Grille Kit and perhaps the Cool Cowl mold or the masters, maybe a finished Cool Cowl, and probably the mold for the CJ/JL-Style Grille Overlay for the TJ but I haven't gotten to sorting through the molds and related masters yet, I'll be doing those next.

——

Cleaning out some more... I forgot I had these 3” pod lights: https://auxbeam.com/products/zd000713

In addition to the high-power white light, these are multifunction lights and are selectable between white output, amber/yellow output or both. The lights have six modes:

1. White
2. Amber
3. White + Amber Together
4. Flashing White
5. Flashing Amber
6. Alternately Flashing White and Amber

Modes 4, 5 and 6 seem like they might be useful in an emergency situation. This video demonstrates the six modes:

View attachment 448870

View attachment 448871

View attachment 448872

View attachment 448873

Contact me if you're interested.

And I also dug out these from storage - a pair of their 7" driving lights and a pair of their 9" lights. Still thinking about whether I should keep them or not. I'll post them as available if I decide I won't be needing them.

View attachment 448874

I have some news about that table - Overland Outfitters and MORryde borrowed my JKU for Overland West, they had spaces next to each other in the vendor expo. Besides all of the OO and MORryde gear installed on my JKU, I had done a new mount for that table using high-powered suction cups and it was stuck on the side windows of my JKU hardtop the entire show (without the swing-down MOLLE panel on the front, I didn't bring that to the show):

View attachment 448875

A MORryde executive took a look at the table and asked me what I was doing with it after the show, to which I replied "Letting you take it to Elkhart, I guess." That was the right answer, they are very interested in putting it in production, not only for the Jeep market, but with the suction mounts for the RV market. The last update I have from them is that they have produced a first preproduction sample, reviewed it and sent it back to engineering for a few changes. They tell me they plan to have the updated version through manufacturing in time for the Smoky Mountain Jeep Invasion (that event starts two weeks from yesterday) and that they will be bringing two examples to the show - one to display at the MORryde booth and one for me.

So it seems like it's on a path to production, on both tailgate-mount and suction-mount versions with the optional MOLLE panel. I'll post updates as I can. For those who haven't seen the table, here's a video of it on a TJ tailgate:

Next I'll start on fiberglass parts and molds, things like Cool Cowls...

Liking that tailgate table a bunch. Hope they produce it.

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
The Bluetooth headlights are still available. All other electronics/lights have been claimed. I have one other Auxbeam 8-gang switch panel I may offer, it's the higher end one with Bluetooth control (you can operate the circuits from your phone), but I haven't made a final decision on that one yet. Stay tuned.

I'm starting to go through my fiberglass molds and extra parts, I'll offer two today.

Cool Cowl. This is a fiberglass replacement cowl to implement a cowl intake; it's got a mounting flange for a prefilter and a flange on the inside for ductwork into the engine compartment.

CoolCowl.jpg

Being test fit on my tub cowl section:

TestFit.jpg

A few photos of a finished Cool Cowl on my pickup. BTW this one was painted with rattle can touch-up paint and rattle can clear coat:

CowlFinal31.jpg

CowlFinal23.jpg

CowlFinal21.jpg

If you're interested in it you can make me an offer. If you're interested in the prefilter in the photos above you can have that with the Cool Cowl for another $25. If you want to figure your shipping cost, it'll pack up 50" x 12" x 6" and weigh about 6 lbs, that's without the prefilter. Due to size and shape, the prefilter will probably ship separately from the Cool Cowl.

Fiberglass CJ Grille. I did not make this, it's a commercial product.

FiberglassCJGrille.jpg

Back when I was making the molds for the CJ Grille Kit I came across a complete fiberglass front clip for sale on Craigslist. I ended up modifying the fenders to create CJ-style fenders properly sized for the TJ with TJ-style inner fenders, and I made the molds for the CJ Kit fenders from those. I sold the hood right away because I wasn't going to need that and I kept the grille. I never needed the grille, so I'll ask $100 for it, which is less than it sold for when it was in production. I'll call it new old stock, it's in original condition and never molested. If you want to figure your shipping cost, it'll pack up 40" x 20" x 8" and weigh about 12 lbs.

More fiberglass stuff to come.

Liking that tailgate table a bunch. Hope they produce it.

Thank you. I should know more when I get to the Smoky Mountain Jeep Invasion show, MORryde will be there and supposedly they will be bringing me a preproduction table.

Whaaat...? That tailgate table is awesome!

Thank you very much. I tried to design something that a) would be more useful than the tables currently on the market, b) would match the quality of the best tables on the market (Outback Adventures Trailgator for example) and, c) if manufactured by MORryde, could sell for less than the Trailgator due to their economies of scale in manufacturing. Here's another photo of the suction version on my LJ:

VacuumTable5.jpg

I'm also experimenting with a test suction MOLLE panel, it was a raining when I took this photo:

VacuumMOLLE.jpg

The MOLLE bags in the photo above are weather resistant so good for outdoor use. They're now available at Overland Outfitters (https://www.overland-outfitters.com/store/p68/WeatherresistantMOLLEBag.html#/). bb The Rotopax has an insulated cover to prevent the "Rotopax bulge" when the sun warms the plastic container with fuel in it.

I think the suction MOLLE could be useful for expeditions - you could carry stuff there, perhaps recovery gear, that you wouldn't need for daily driving. The MOLLE panel could always have that gear on it and live in the garage, and when you went on an expedition you could stick it on the Jeep.

That's great news on the table! Please share updates as you get them.
The tailgate mounting system is the coolest.

Completely unrelated to your post... what hood is on the red flatbed Jeep? More specifically, the windshield washer nozzle.. it's a single in the middle. I have been looking to replace the stock nozzles on my TJ with a fan spray instead of the four jets but any I have tried all aim far too low. Like, right at the wiper blades.

What size is the intake hole in the cowl?

The mounting flange is 3" O.D., which matches the prefilter. The I.D. is roughly 2 3/4".

CoolCowlIntake.jpg

CoolCowlPrefilter.jpg

Completely unrelated to your post... what hood is on the red flatbed Jeep? More specifically, the windshield washer nozzle.. it's a single in the middle. I have been looking to replace the stock nozzles on my TJ with a fan spray instead of the four jets but any I have tried all aim far too low. Like, right at the wiper blades.

It's the stock hood. My pickup project started out in 2007 with a 2006 LJ and the hood has never been off the Jeep. Before:

DSC_8346.jpg

After:

SanibelCauseway1.jpg

When I built the CJ Grille Kit for my LJ, I used washer nozzles from a Jaguar XJ6 I found in the junkyard. It works much better than the factory washer nozzle. I grabbed several different ones at the u-pull and tested them all, the Jag nozzle is the black one. It's a jet spray, not a fan, but it puts out a lot more fluid than the single factory one on the LJ did (my LJ is also an '06, with a single nozzle like the pickup).

WasherNozzles3.jpg

A little more detail about the Cool Cowl... I designed it to be easily interfaced to things like the Windstar and Spectre intakes, and it's a direct bolt-on replacement for the factory cowl panel. It's got an integrated duct on the underside to make the air routing easier:

ductbonded3-jpg.449235

A typical installation will have a flexible hose running from that ductwork to the firewall:

ductconnected2-jpg.449236

At the firewall, I used a pair of 2 1/2" ports bolted back-to-back over a hole in the firewall. These work pretty well: https://www.rockler.com/2-1-2-dust-port. The company has a range of other fittings of various sizes.

I asked for offers and a number of people have contacted me asking how much I want, I asked for offers but everyone says they have no idea how much to offer, so here's the answer: based on current fiberglass production costs, the fiberglass cowl panel would probably retail for $250-300 if it were a commercial product, I think $200 is a fair price for it. The cap sells for about $50 (https://www.dieselequipmentinc.com/products/x002014), I'm asking $25.

Shipping would be in two parts, based on the size of the cap and the size of the Cool Cowl, packing them both in one box would result in a larger box than necessary and would increase cost. The cowl will pack up about 12" x 6" x 50" and because of it's length it would probably count as oversize with some carriers. The cap will pack up about 8" x 7" x 6" and 2 lbs. I'm shipping from 14905 so you can shop around for the best rate for the cowl if you want.

Still available - the Auxbeam RGB/Bluetooth halo headlights. Here's a video demo I forgot I had done back when I reviewed these headlights:

They look brighter and more colorful in person, I did the video with my phone, which isn't a high end one. These lights are currently on the Auxbeam web site for $129.99, I'm asking $70.

Also I will offer the mold for the CJ/JL style grille overlay for the TJ seen in the video above. Here are a few photos of the overlay installed on a TJ grille, starting with a comparison between the factory grille and this one:

PickupCompare1_zpsvbuczkv7.jpg

In these next photos, the overlay is installed on a factory TJ grille shell:

PartsTestF3.jpg

PartsTestF2.jpg

PartsTestF1.jpg

PartsTestF4.jpg

And in this photo, the radiator has been installed.

RadiatorInstalled4.jpg

This next photo is the mold, in this photo it has been prepped with mold release and it is ready to make a part. Grille overlays can be made with or without recesses for the turn signals. To make an overlay with recesses, the recess forms (the gray circles) are held in place in the mold with double-sided tape and the joint between the form and the mold is sealed with a fillet of modeling clay as seen below. For a grille overlay without turn signal recesses, the recess forms are omitted.

GrilleMoldPrepped.jpg

The overlay installs over the front of the factory grille; since the new slots take up a larger area than the factory slots, the slots in the factory grille get cut out before installing the overlay.

I think this is the grille design that Jeep should have done, I think it's more in the tradition of the Jeep heritage than the factory TJ grille. And FWIW, it offers much more airflow than the factory grille.

I will offer this mold for $300 with rights for commercial use, which means if you want to make grille overlays in this mold and sell them you may.

Status
Not open for further replies.