Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

6* should be about right for your setup me thinks. The calculation for my LP30 is spot on with the alignment specs. It was tough handing over $80 to get a printout, but I did it. Guessing it costs even more for you city folk. Everything over there costs more as I found out over the weekend.
what is the formula for estimating caster from pinion angle?. sitting with front axle on stands just over operating height, my DS angle and pinion angle are virtually equal. I ordered the spacers to fill in that lower front control arm bracket. When I get them installed, I will set it down and recheck angles. I am trying to wish that pinion up a half degree. I do not want to shorten my lowers.

Last edited:
what is the formula for estimating caster from pinion angle?
Like jjvw said the correct way to do it isn't using a formula. You would want to let the suspension hang at full droop and keep adjusting down until start to feel it bind. Then push it back up a bit. If your getting vibs then keep adjusting up until they go away.

That said @bobthetj03 found that the LP30 has 12* of pinion separation. So in his case he used 12* (pinion separation) - 7.5* (pinion angle) = 4.5* (caster) I believe the alignment shop gave him this number or close to it????

From what I could find the Rubicon 44 has a pinion separation of 13.6 so with the same pinion angle it would look like. 13.6-7.5=6.1(caster) I have not verified this number by getting an alignment and checking the result.

I currently have mine set to 7.9* (dana 44 front). My next step is to do it the correct way and check for binding.

I've read that if you can still install the driveshaft with the axle at it's lowest point, then the driveshaft is safe from bind. From there you can raise the pinion as needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01
Printout on my caster was 4.5* driver, 4.7* passenger. Would like 5*.
I think I am very close to 5. But, so is my drive shaft. I am not on my tires yet. My jeep had lost the cams at some point in the past. I am going to get that space filled up before I set it down and get final measurements and a test run. when I get it smooth we will see how the formula works on mine. Thanks.

Reactions: Alex01
Relocated the arb air chuck up to the front bumper. I bent a 2" flat bar to make the mount. No more opening the hood to fill up for me!!!
20190402_191005.jpg
20190402_201647.jpg

Got the soft top on with a little help. Also, found a small plastic cap that covers the arb coupler. I ordered a rubber cap but I'll need to switch couplers to use it.
20190403_184039.jpg
20190403_184334.jpg