Alex01 Silver Sport Build Thread

I did not know that you designed them, well done they fit great. I wonder how many other parts you've designed on my jeep that I'm not even aware of.

I said occasionally because I could have sworn that I read once that you've modified rear mounts in order to get a bit more clearance.
We were test fitting a steel tube fender that Tony had delivered. I had already raised the body mounts on the rig by carefully removing them, trimming the front two to fit and moving them back a spot each and then building a new front one. I had Tony get under there and look at how I did it so he could make some. Sorta designed but sorta not, more of a "hey, copy this and make it a product" type deal.

I said occasionally because I could have sworn that I read once that you've modified rear mounts in order to get a bit more clearance.

Look in my build thread. If it isn't there, I'll have a link to the thread.

Artec body mounts like most of the rest of their stuff are pretty fucking stupid. Another fine example of knowledge does not equal understanding.

Understanding means that you know there is a protection shadow created by a line drawn from the lowest edge of the rocker to the bottom of the frame. If you move the body mounts further up into that shadow, the likelihood of bringing them into contact with an obstruction is greatly diminished.

Moving them up and then adding crap to the bottom of them to put them further out of the shadow is dumb and shows you don't know a fucking thing about how rocks and shit work on the trail. You don't want them armored to fuck so they create a hang point that prohibits forward progress. You want them up out of the way as far as you can get them.
Makes sense. I'll go with Genrights as well then. Thanks Blaine!

I finished up the body mount raise and saved a whole $5 on root beer burning them in myself.
20200824_230144.jpg
20200824_225131.jpg

20200824_230812.jpg

That is correct, I trimmed the front and rear brackets for the midarm mounts.
When you weld something like that mount that has a direction change in the weld, top and then down on the side, be mindful of that when you tack it up. Either put a small tack in the corner you can weld over, or put a large tack that starts on top and rolls down the side to the vertical.

When you get to the end of the vertical leg at the bottom, roll the weld around and under. Or, when you tack it, start a small tack on the inside and roll it to the outside and up slightly.

body lift mount weld.PNG

When you weld something like that mount that has a direction change in the weld, top and then down on the side, be mindful of that when you tack it up. Either put a small tack in the corner you can weld over, or put a large tack that starts on top and rolls down the side to the vertical.

When you get to the end of the vertical leg at the bottom, roll the weld around and under. Or, when you tack it, start a small tack on the inside and roll it to the outside and up slightly.

View attachment 186057
Thanks for the tip. I'm still learning to weld so it's helpful to read how I can become less awful.

Reactions: starkey480
Like most things, root beer is about what you like. I've tried all of them I can get my hands on and that stuff is okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get more.

What’s some of your favorites? Always looking for new root beer.

Reactions: Vasq
I'm fond of Stewart's. But there again, only because it works with my particular like of the balance of sweet versus medicinal. A&W is far too sweet but the "root beer" flavor is good. If they could back down the sweet level some, it would be more tolerable to me. Stewart's has a nice balance between the root beer flavor, level of sweetness, and not too medicinal. The only thing that matters is if you like it, not whether I do.

Reactions: Plumber1

Sprechers out of Wisconsin is supposed to be good.

However I didn’t grow up drinking root beer and maybe similar to cilantro tasting like soap to some people, root beer tastes like toothpaste to me in a very unpleasant way so not a fan at all.

I'm fond of Stewart's. But there again, only because it works with my particular like of the balance of sweet versus medicinal. A&W is far too sweet but the "root beer" flavor is good. If they could back down the sweet level some, it would be more tolerable to me. Stewart's has a nice balance between the root beer flavor, level of sweetness, and not too medicinal. The only thing that matters is if you like it, not whether I do.

Correct but I am always looking for new flavors to try. I have not tried Stewart’s in a long time I will have to revisit it.

Right now Virgils has my top spot with River City trying hard to fight and try take it.

The sleeve for the tie rod flip finally came in today and I welded it in place. It was a fairly painless process. You drill the knuckle out with a 3/4" bit, weld the sleeve in, and grind the bottom flat. The flipped tie rod raised the TB about 1.5", previously would have been at 16" in the photo, the small change made a massive difference. Lastly, I adjusted the pinion down to 8.5° with the idea I'll lose the floaty feel. With any luck I'll stay vib free and not need a hub kit.

20200825_223135.jpg
20200825_223045.jpg
20200825_220138.jpg

It feels good to have the jeep back on the ground. Now I just need to weld the bottom brackets for the AR in place, likely run new brake lines since I doubt the stock mounting location will work, and install the vacuum hose to replace the evap line once it arrives.