Aluminum vs Steel Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
out of curiosity, can 6061-T6 be formed/bent/broke to a 90 with that small of a radius in the same thickness as a Savvy bumper?
No, not possible.
Nice looking bumper, especially in the raw finish, but it appears that it was built like a steel bumper. I would imagine I would see stress fractures on a close up.
Not in a 5000 series. You can bend up 5000 stuff like steel because it is softer.

That’s assuming I see a flaw or failure with the GR, which hasn’t happened yet and may not.
It might not. And if it doesn't, that tells a few of us something. None of which matters for your purposes. Go have fun with your bumper.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I’ve read on this forum several times now where other members have said they feel that if they don’t run Savvy, Currie etc they get these type of comments. I didn’t really think that happened blatantly but it’s obvious from this thread that some of you are for sure backing Savvy. Which I have no problem with that you are satisfied with them and their product but questioning others purchases and saying they are inferior based on your opinions and no back to back tests of the same like product in the same situation is simply your opinion.

Reactions: Tldelaney
And it’s purpose is to what? Carry a winch and act as a bumper? Although not everyone is using their bumper as a ramp it doesn’t mean it isn’t being used for its intended purpose.
I get what you are saying, but most Savvy stuff earns its (prototype) wings in the rocks of JV. Those specific parts are purpose built.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Why do we have to keep doing this? 6061-T6 can not be bent in a tight 90 degree bend. It is impossible because it will break. Look at the bend at the front of your bumper, then look at the bend on the front of the Savvy. The Savvy has the tightest bend you can do in 6061 T6 and I know that because I stood in the shop helping the owner build dies and test them to see what was the tightest bend possible so we could design the bumper around those bends.
So you are saying GR is fraudulently claiming they use 6061 on their website? And that my eyes can’t read? Pretty arrogant of you to make both claims.

I’ve read on this forum several times now where other members have said they feel that if they don’t run Savvy, Currie etc they get these type of comments. I didn’t really think that happened blatantly but it’s obvious from this thread that some of you are for sure backing Savvy. Which I have no problem with that you are satisfied with them and their product but questioning others purchases and saying they are inferior based on your opinions and no back to back tests of the same like product in the same situation is simply your opinion.
There are a few here that are Currie/Savvy fan boys. There are a few others that appreciate function and design where Currie and Savvy happen to find themselves. The two overlap, but they are not necessarily the same.

If your job is to engineer products. Part of that job is to evaluate the competition so you make a better product

Reactions: jesseshoots
You are completely wrong, again. Savvy doesn't get recommended to all members seeking advice here. If you don't see that you're not paying attention or you're only in threads where Savvy would be a good fit. I personally have recommended other brands like Zone suspension systems, Dirt Worx bumpers, etc. to members who don't need the strength or design of Savvy.

Stop being so fucking pissy about Savvy because you couldn't get your bumper as quickly as you wanted it. If your stupid dumbass pissy remarks weren't producing such outstanding education by several members I would have shut this thread down and banned you a day or two ago.

You are completely wrong, again. Savvy doesn't get recommended to all members seeking advice here. If you don't see that you're not paying attention or you're only in threads where Savvy would be a good fit. I personally have recommended other brands like Zone suspension systems, Dirt Worx bumpers, etc. to members who don't need the strength or design of Savvy.

Stop being so fucking pissy about Savvy because you couldn't get yours as quickly as you wanted it. If your stupid dumbass pissy remarks weren't producing such outstanding education by several

Stop being so fucking pissy about Savvy because you couldn't get your bumper as quickly as you wanted it. If your stupid dumbass pissy remarks weren't producing such outstanding education by several members I would have shut this thread down and banned you a day or two ago.
Case and point of others opinions don’t matter. Just delete the guy that argues the case that something else may be as good as the other thing. Don’t question anything, don’t give an opinion just follow the masters guidance.

So you are saying GR is fraudulently claiming they use 6061 on their website? And that my eyes can’t read? Pretty arrogant of you to make both claims.
I don't believe it is fraudulent any more than I believe Savvy's claim of a 50 lb. weight for that front is fraudulent. I believe it is an overlooked mistake is all.

You do not have to take my word that is based on 20+ years of building stuff out of aluminum. The internet is full of ways to deal with 6061 T6 and what it can and can not do.

https://www.thefabricator.com/thefabricator/article/bending/strategies-for-bending-6061-t6-aluminum

Minimum bend radius is the the tightest bend you can put in a material without it breaking or suffering some ill effect. Note the chart below calls out 3t which is 3 x the thickness of the material being bent as the radius of the top punch and it has to be an air bend. That means the top punch has to be 3/4" in diameter to meet the min. bend radius which coincidentally happens to be the diameter of the punch used on the Savvy bumper. Wonder how that happened?

http://www.cumberlandmetals.com/aluminum/minimum-bend-radii/

If you need more, I can do it. I've been working with aluminum for a very long time and I know exactly what it takes to make parts out of it.

Case and point of others opinions don’t matter. Just delete the guy that argues the case that something else may be as good as the other thing. Don’t question anything, don’t give an opinion just follow the masters guidance.
There are only so many ways to say the same thing. Your bumper is fine unless you plan to abuse it in the rocks. If you do, it will not survive as well as a bumper made from 6061-T6. There is no other way to say that and nothing you can say will make that untrue.

You have no idea what we are telling you.

Reactions: Ocho
Status
Not open for further replies.