Aluminum vs Steel Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
That does not make it true. You also do not have to take my word for it, go look at the fucking chart. That and we already knew they mistakenly listed the alloy. That was verified in a previous discussion where someone called them and asked.
Again this wasn’t brought to light until later in the discussion and I will talk to them come Monday about it to see what they have to say. If it is indeed 5000 series then that’s a massive issue and misleading and I will deal with that with them. Your expertise and charts are valuable now but none of this was available when I purchased the GR based on what they have listed on their website and assuming it was fact. Again, if it isn’t true they may be repurchasing a bumper and I may be back waiting again.

Reactions: skrelnik
Or to
Is it possible GenRight has changed the type of aluminum it’s made from?
Or to say that the are using 6061-T6, annealing it prior to bending and then re-tempering. Who knows but there are contradictions all of which a consumer may have no idea or knowledge of. Blaine supplied detailed info that will be used for my discussion with them come Monday.

@mrblaine, this question is purely for my own education and anyone else who might be interested since we are on topic..
I have the UCF aluminum bumper which claims to be 6061-T6.
I don't make any claims to its strength, however it works well for my purposes. (Haven't dropped it on a rock yet).
What is your opinion on the bend radii of this bumper?
Is it legit, or possibly incorrect?

Give it to me straight... I can take it...

Capture.JPG

20200501_154029.jpg

20200501_154132.jpg

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
Just sent the following email to Genright, thought it might help bottom this out...

"Dear Genright Customer Service

I am hoping you can help clarify something for me.

On a Jeep forum I frequent there has recently been a debate about aluminium bumpers. Your website states that your Stubby Aluminium Bumper is constructed from 6061-T6 aluminium. However, one poster has pointed out the small radius of some of the bends on your stubby bumper could not be achieved in 6061-T6. They have stated that the properties of 6061-T6 do not allow such a tight radius as the aluminium would break.

As an alternative it has been said that the only way to get such tight bends would be to form the bumper in 6061-0 aluminium before it is tempered and only temper it once formed to bring it to T6 hardness.

I think it would be really helpful if you could clarify if your stubby bumper is made of 6061-T6? If it is, is it formed from 6061-T6 or is it formed from aluminium which is tempered after the bumper is fabricated?

In the interests of transparency, I will share this email and any reply on the forum.

Many thanks in advance,"

I will share the reply if I get one.

• Love
Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
@mrblaine, this question is purely for my own education and anyone else who might be interested since we are on topic..
I don't make any claims to its strength, however it works well for my purposes. (Haven't dropped it on a rock yet).

View attachment 229756

View attachment 229757

View attachment 229758
Those are at the minimum bend radius for 6061 T6. The only problem is it suffers from the same issues as the Savvy. Where it is welded drops the temper back to the -0 condition so those areas are not as strong.

View attachment 229756

View attachment 229757

View attachment 229758
Much rounder bends so possibly I’d say based on Blaine’s info.

Or to

Or to say that the are using 6061-T6, annealing it prior to bending and then re-tempering. Who knows but there are contradictions all of which a consumer may have no idea or knowledge of. Blaine supplied detailed info that will be used for my discussion with them come Monday.
A manufacturer would not do it that way. They would purchase the material in the annealed condition, fabricate it, and then pay to have it tempered. Congrats, you now have a 1500 dollar part.

Much rounder bends so possibly I’d say based on Blaine’s info.
The bend radius being that large does not make it 6061 T6 since that same radius can be used on the lesser strength alloys. All we can tell from the bends is what it isn't.

That doesn't mean it isn't 6061 T6. It just means we can't tell but the bends are appropriate for that material. If they were tight 90 degree bends then we know it isn't 6061 T6 but again, we don't know what it is, just what it isn't.

I understand the OP frustrations with Savvy or any company that promises you over and over and then does not come through on there promises. Being in business I know that there have been times in the past when I took someone who did not pay there bill to Small Claims Court, when the amount they owed was not worth my time. But you know sometimes you say Fuck It, 🤬 that SOB is not getting one over on me. Best business decision no, but sometimes your emotions get the better of you. and sometimes it makes you feel better 🤣

Now I have several Savvy products a GT Skid, a Rear Bumper and a Engine Skid, and I agree they make top quality products. But I also know there customer service is in not the best. I have read many others posts asking for help on how to install certain products that come with several pieces and poor instructions, or people saying they had to watch YouTube Videos to see how things went together.

Now I know some of the members on this forum have a lot of experience building there TJ's, but many others do not and need complete instructions to help them with installing there Savvy products. Now I know that every Jeep can be a little different because of other mods that have been done, but if the instructions were based upon a stock TJ it would give the guy trying to install something a starting place. Also I wonder how much of there sales comes from this forum or others like it promoting their products. Not bashing Savvy just feeling the OP frustrations

Savvy isn’t paying me a dime, that much I can assure you.

Is it even really Savvy stuff? It’s Blaine stuff that Savvy slapped their name on if you ask me.

Just sent the following email to Genright, thought it might help bottom this out...

"Dear Genright Customer Service

I am hoping you can help clarify something for me.

On a Jeep forum I frequent there has recently been a debate about aluminium bumpers. Your website states that your Stubby Aluminium Bumper is constructed from 6061-T6 aluminium. However, one poster has pointed out the small radius of some of the bends on your stubby bumper could not be achieved in 6061-T6. They have stated that the properties of 6061-T6 do not allow such a tight radius as the aluminium would break.

As an alternative it has been said that the only way to get such tight bends would be to form the bumper in 6061-0 aluminium before it is tempered and only temper it once formed to bring it to T6 hardness.

I think it would be really helpful if you could clarify if your stubby bumper is made of 6061-T6? If it is, is it formed from 6061-T6 or is it formed from aluminium which is tempered after the bumper is fabricated?

In the interests of transparency, I will share this email and any reply on the forum.

Many thanks in advance,"

I will share the reply if I get one.
I’m very interested to see the response....

All the beer can Jokes aside, we need a little Rodney King in this thread. Not the beating part..........the "can we all just get along" part.

We're all TJ people here. We just need to agree fuck Rough Country and wheels past 17" on a TJ.

Or we could just go full PBB, and tell each other off.......

It is easy to get upset when someone doesn’t agree with you. It is easy to think that many here are Savvy fan boys. Heck why not. They make outstanding proven products. BLAINE WILL SHOOT STRAIGHT WITH YOU. If he sees a better product he will use it and recommend it. The products he uses work in a rough environment. Other bumpers will work fine for other people. Most don’t use their jeeps in an environment such as JV. If you like a bumper for looks or functionality then by all means run it. Quit looking for others approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.