Aluminum vs Steel Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is easy to get upset when someone doesn’t agree with you. It is easy to think that many here are Savvy fan boys. Heck why not. They make outstanding proven products. BLAINE WILL SHOOT STRAIGHT WITH YOU. If he sees a better product he will use it and recommend it. The products he uses work in a rough environment. Other bumpers will work fine for other people. Most don’t use their jeeps in an environment such as JV. If you like a bumper for looks or functionality then by all means run it. Quit looking for others approval.
I completely agree with this statement. It's like how people ask questions about my modified Jeeps or trucks and wonder why would I waste as much money and time on them as I have.

I tell them that the Amazon river runs for thousands of miles, at some points it runs through areas of the rainforest that are almost untouched an have been barely explored. Because of the porous limestone in these areas, the river water leaks through the stone and travels deep into the earth, and forms underground pools almost a mile below the surface. Over thousands of years, small blind transparent fish have lived and evolved in these pools. These fish have never seen the sun or surface and have never been seen by the human eye...............
..........these fish care more about their opinion than I do.

Not sure why @MX952 was in such a hurry to get a Genright when he really wanted the Savvy? Did your previous bumper get destroyed or stolen?

I have waited patiently for many parts. Once I decide a specific part is what I want, I will wait many months if necessary. I can't think of anything on my Jeep that I bought because I could get it a couple months faster.

I get that Savvy might not be the best at customer service. I could really care less. I place my order and I wait. I've been waiting for a Bestop item for almost 3 months now. I could save some money and buy something inferior, but I want my stuff to last. I don't care if it takes a few more months.

Back to the actual topic, there are definite reasons to pay the cash for aluminum. It seems for many, the bumpers and light bars are the first mods. I'm one of the few that has spent $20K plus, and still haven't gotten around to replacing my bumpers. I've done two axles swaps, suspension, armor, etc.

So I have the Fabtech steel front bumper that came with my rig. It's one of the very few original parts that has remained. It's functional and works with the anti rock. I want to eventually get the Savvy, but there has not been a NEED to do so. So it will wait until I take care of all functional issues that actually contribute to my Jeep making it through the rocks.

For the rear, I have the Dirtworx steel. Again, functionality driven. Plus the Dirtworx guy lives about 30 minutes from me. I was able to pick it up and save on shipping. My Jeep came with the Rock Hard bumper with tire carrier. It worked, but weighed a ton and I really hated that tire carrier. I now have the Exogate.

So change out your bumper as your first mod if that's what you want to do or have a functional issue. I figure my Jeep came with bumpers and they work. So they will be one of the last things I get to. Though cosmetics are not that important to me. I do think my Fabtech front is pretty ugly.

this is farther down the roadish for me not the first mod will have lift fixed all the broken stuff and new wheels and tires, my thing for the bumper is the kind of wheeling I want to do I may find my self in need of a winch and some point and time, and its gonna cost a little bit to add the winch so might as well replace bumper and do it right the first time.

Last edited:
I understand the OP frustrations with Savvy or any company that promises you over and over and then does not come through on there promises. Being in business I know that there have been times in the past when I took someone who did not pay there bill to Small Claims Court, when the amount they owed was not worth my time. But you know sometimes you say Fuck It, 🤬 that SOB is not getting one over on me. Best business decision no, but sometimes your emotions get the better of you. and sometimes it makes you feel better 🤣

Now I have several Savvy products a GT Skid, a Rear Bumper and a Engine Skid, and I agree they make top quality products. But I also know there customer service is in not the best. I have read many others posts asking for help on how to install certain products that come with several pieces and poor instructions, or people saying they had to watch YouTube Videos to see how things went together.

Now I know some of the members on this forum have a lot of experience building there TJ's, but many others do not and need complete instructions to help them with installing there Savvy products. Now I know that every Jeep can be a little different because of other mods that have been done, but if the instructions were based upon a stock TJ it would give the guy trying to install something a starting place. Also I wonder how much of there sales comes from this forum or others like it promoting their products. Not bashing Savvy just feeling the OP frustrations
funny thing the OP just wanted to know the big difference in the two and try to figure out which one would suit their needs and hasn't bought any bumper but some how this turned into a mess lol

Reactions: reddvltj
funny thing the OP just wanted to know the big difference in the two and try to figure out which one would suit their needs and hasn't bought any bumper but some how this turned into a mess lol
I had to go back read the entire thing and it went sideways by someone else 🤣

Reactions: reddvltj
The bend radius being that large does not make it 6061 T6 since that same radius can be used on the lesser strength alloys. All we can tell from the bends is what it isn't.

That doesn't mean it isn't 6061 T6. It just means we can't tell but the bends are appropriate for that material. If they were tight 90 degree bends then we know it isn't 6061 T6 but again, we don't know what it is, just what it isn't.
I was just saying they are claiming 6061-T6 and the bends are more rounded so it was more than plausible it could be.

Savvy isn’t paying me a dime, that much I can assure you.

Is it even really Savvy stuff? It’s Blaine stuff that Savvy slapped their name on if you ask me.
I didn't mean to say you were getting paid from Savvy, just wondering how much sales come from forum members talking about there stuff. Without this forum I wonder how many jeepers had ever herd the name Savvy before.

I had to go back read the entire thing and it went sideways by someone else 🤣
like Forrest Gump says Shit happens lol

but to update the topic leaning toward the Barnes Bumper price is right its only 40ish lbs so not to bad in the weight and local ish to me and American made while the Aluminum is probably better it doesn't seem to fit my needs for the price, I have a hard time justifying spending that much MORE money when I won't utilize the features other than the weight savings.

like Forrest Gump says Shit happens lol

but to update the topic leaning toward the Barnes Bumper price is right its only 40ish lbs so not to bad in the weight and local ish to me and American made while the Aluminum is probably better it doesn't seem to fit my needs for the price, I have a hard time justifying spending that much MORE money when I won't utilize the features other than the weight savings.
In the end of all this crap that has gone back and forth, are you happy :)with your Bumper purchase ? If your happy that's all that matters and it really does not matter what anyone else on this forum thinks including me.

Reactions: D M and Jacket4256
Status
Not open for further replies.