Aluminum vs Steel Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or to

Or to say that the are using 6061-T6, annealing it prior to bending and then re-tempering. Who knows but there are contradictions all of which a consumer may have no idea or knowledge of. Blaine supplied detailed info that will be used for my discussion with them come Monday.
I doubt any aftermarket off road manufacturer is annealing and re tempering any aluminum, 6061 or 7075. The soak time to reduce hardness on 7075 Aluminum is about 2hrs on 3/8" sheet and about 4hrs soak to realign. Way too much expense for us cheap skates.

Reactions: Chris
These bumpers been working well for decades.

200.gif

I doubt any aftermarket off road manufacturer is annealing and re tempering any aluminum, 6061 or 7075. The soak time to reduce hardness on 7075 Aluminum is about 2hrs on 3/8" sheet and about 4hrs soak to realign. Way too much expense for us cheap skates.
Not to mention that any company who did that would not be the tiniest bit shy about advertising that little fact. Treated and tempered after fabrication to bring the whole structure up to T6 Temper.

Sorta like making a trackbar out of solid 4130. The only reason to do that is to heat treat it for higher resistance to bending and no one who pays for that will fail to mention it in the description of the part. It adds too much cost which will drive the price up and it will be listed to justify the price.

Not to mention that any company who did that would not be the tiniest bit shy about advertising that little fact. Treated and tempered after fabrication to bring the whole structure up to T6 Temper.

Sorta like making a trackbar out of solid 4130. The only reason to do that is to heat treat it for higher resistance to bending and no one who pays for that will fail to mention it in the description of the part. It adds too much cost which will drive the price up and it will be listed to justify the price.
Amen! And it should. People don't have a clue what goes into a lot of this manufacturing. I used to not appreciate it at all, till I got close.

Here’s a piece of 6061 T6 that I broke (literally) with a small inside rad.

View attachment 229855
Here’s another with a larger rad.View attachment 229856View attachment 229857View attachment 229858
All this talk about bumpers has inspired me to make some bash plates for my GR bumper.
If you want to make that a tad bit easier, take a piece of plate and weld two pieces of 3/4 or 1" round bar to it for a quick and easy lower die. Even heavy wall tube will work.
edit- if you want to keep the scuffs on the outside less noticeable, lay a piece of old t-shirt across the lower die.

Agreeing with Jerry's earlier comment that keeping this thread open is informative rather than shutting it down, I still feel like I've lost part of my soul after coming back from this morning to 6 new pages to catch up on after a day of wrenching... :ROFLMAO:

I'm rocking stock front and rear and eyeing the Dirtworks rear in the near future. :unsure:

If you want to make that a tad bit easier, take a piece of plate and weld two pieces of 3/4 or 1" round bar to it for a quick and easy lower die. Even heavy wall tube will work.
edit- if you want to keep the scuffs on the outside less noticeable, lay a piece of old t-shirt across the lower die.
That’s a great idea, got just the scraps of plate and pipe to do it with too.

I am more of a trail rider(Not really looking to push it to the limits in the rocks) I have a warn steel stubby. Its tough and good looking imo. Has performed its function just fine. Not a Savvy nut swinger but they have the best sliders on the market and its not close. And I want a set of those because they are awesome, not because they are made by Savvy. I don't understand time line issues. Its a scheduling issue as much as anything. Just gotta plan for things(I understand people gets rushed for various reasons)

Pretty educational thread.

I am more of a trail rider(Not really looking to push it to the limits in the rocks) I have a warn steel stubby. Its tough and good looking imo. Has performed its function just fine. Not a Savvy nut swinger but they have the best sliders on the market and its not close. And I want a set of those because they are awesome, not because they are made by Savvy. I don't understand time line issues. Its a scheduling issue as much as anything. Just gotta plan for things(I understand people gets rushed for various reasons)

Pretty educational thread.
My assumption after all of this is...they take orders (and money) until they have enough to do a run of them which is awesome if you are number 24 of the 25 quantity but crappy if you are number 1 of 25.

My assumption after all of this is...they take orders (and money) until they have enough to do a run of them which is awesome if you are number 24 of the 25 quantity but crappy if you are number 1 of 25.
Yes, Me personally. Its going to be a very slow process. And I don't mind waiting for things. I am in the camp that if I want a certain part on a machine of mine, I want that part. When I was younger I would jump on something and it not be exactly what I wanted. In which case I quickly figured buy once cry once is the way to go. I think if a small business can run a certain way based of me understanding what they need, Not a problem. Different strokes.

Last edited:
With the Savvy one it looks like it comes only with tow hooks like the OEM bumper and no mounts for D-rings. I'm sure its not a problem out on the trails since it's top tier and all, but is there any real distinction between having tow hooks or D-rings? Is one just outright better than the other, and are there things couldn't do if you had one or the other? Just asking out of curiosity.

With the Savvy one it looks like it comes only with tow hooks like the OEM bumper and no mounts for D-rings. I'm sure its not a problem out on the trails since it's top tier and all, but is there any real distinction between having tow hooks or D-rings? Is one just outright better than the other, and are there things couldn't do if you had one or the other? Just asking out of curiosity.
None of the aluminum bumpers of either brand have tow points on the face of the bumper but why would you want them there? Most stubby front bumpers are designed with approach angle in mind.

Reactions: reddvltj and Chris
I hope this does not reignite anything untoward, but as promised I am sharing the reply I received from GenRight...

"Hi [UKTJ],
Thanks for the email.
Funny people are debating the grade of aluminum.
We purposely don’t disclose what we really use to throw off our competitors.
In reality all the public needs to know is that it is aluminum.
Everyone needs to stop trying to puff their chest and relax. We know what we are doing.
😉"

I have just sent the following back to GenRight...

"Hi [GenRight]

Thanks for your reply, especially such a quick one over the weekend, very impressive!

I think the issue may be that it is not actually correct to say that you don't disclose the grade of aluminium, in fact it is the first point made under the features section talking about the stubby bumper, where your website says "Super lightweight 6061-T6 Aluminium". I guess from what you say this shouldn't be listed on the website, but I think it is this statement that is causing the confusion / debate.

I take it from your email that the bumper is not made from 6061-T6 and I understand that from a commercial point of view you may well not want to disclose what specific type of aluminium you use. I also completely get that you are far more expert than I am in the properties of various forms of aluminium, but from what I do know different grades of aluminium can have very different properties and give significantly different levels of performance, particularly in extreme conditions. To some customers knowing what aluminium is used to make a bumper may be a material consideration in their purchase decision.

Again, many thanks for such a speedy reply, it is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
"

No idea if I will get a further reply, in fariness I did not ask any further questions, but if I do I will share it. It will also be interesting to see if the bullet point in the features section about the bumper is removed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.