American Racing Headers Long Tube Headers for the Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0

Back when I was into the type of crap you see in Truckin Magazine, I was around the folks that made the Mopar Performance headers and assisted with the Mopar Performance PCM that was sold at the dealer. One of their projects had everyone pretty pleased with themselves. They were working on the Dakota 5.9 and managed with a tune and headers to add about 75 Dyno proven HP. That was astounding back then.
Was the factory exhaust that restrictive ? or was the factory tune set way conservative to maintain warranty issues.
Your right 75 hp. is a ton to leave on the table.
I just wonder what the reason was.
Happy New Year Blaine !

Was the factory exhaust that restrictive ? or was the factory tune set way conservative to maintain warranty issues.
Your right 75 hp. is a ton to leave on the table.
I just wonder what the reason was.
Been a long time and I'm not sure I actually paid enough attention to understand. The article came out in the magazine, I didn't believe it so I called the guy that did the work to make sure the magazine wasn't embellishing a tad. He verified it was indeed accurate. I knew the header guy and the dyno guy.
Happy New Year Blaine !
And to you as well.

Back when I was into the type of crap you see in Truckin Magazine, I was around the folks that made the Mopar Performance headers and assisted with the Mopar Performance PCM that was sold at the dealer. One of their projects had everyone pretty pleased with themselves. They were working on the Dakota 5.9 and managed with a tune and headers to add about 75 Dyno proven HP. That was astounding back then.
Exactly. Power can be made in headers. A lot sometimes. And under the curve as well. Practically just not so much with a stock 4.0, especially in the rpm range most TJ drivers will appreciate it. My application will be on a stroker with 10.5:1 compression, P&P head, and a healthy cam though so I'm hoping to see some significant gains.

Exactly. Power can be made in headers. A lot sometimes. And under the curve as well. Practically just not so much with a stock 4.0, especially in the rpm range most TJ drivers will appreciate it. My application will be on a stroker with 10.5:1 compression, P&P head, and a healthy cam though so I'm hoping to see some significant gains.
As long as you don't give a shit about uptravel, you're in there.

Thanks a bunch man. I'm thinking about picking this up to install along with my Edelbrock head. Any other input on it after having had it on for this long?
Just watch that flange on the header. The Edelbrock has rather large exhaust ports compared to the stock head. I tried my stock '02 header and it had gaps around the outsides. I bought a Banks header and it barely has acceptable coverage, it should work though. I still need to do a transfer pattern to be sure. Did you get your head yet??

I installed 1.7:1 Harland Sharp roller rockers when I put the header on, so I can’t attest to how much the butt dyno would’ve changed with the header itself, but the combo has added significant power. It’s all available in the mid range too. The roller rockers cost me a little low end torque, so I may take them off to see what it’s like with just the header at some point. It was more efficient to do the roller rockers than a cam swap at the time. I wouldn’t doubt the 20 hp claims. The combo has added much more than that. That’s the only reason I haven’t yanked the header off. It’s caused me plenty of fitment issues.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
As long as you don't give a shit about uptravel, you're in there.
I do which is why I'm trying to get all these pics. Having handled a production unit, I greatly value your input on it. I am trying to talk myself into getting one then tweaking it to make it work. I do have a 1.5" MML and 3" suspension lift which I figured would help. I'm planning to crawl under there this week and eyeball it to see what things looked like. I'm thinking how low it hangs down below the oil pan and it's proximity to the front DS are the main issues. Would you guess it's possible with a little work or is there just to much for it to be practical?

Did you get your head yet??
I did, yep. It's sitting on the garage floor and will be for a while until I get the header figure out. I have Doug Thorley headers currently with one of Russ's P&P'd iron heads. The DT headers are great quality the the port and primary size is a bit too small IMHO. Plus they are shorty style like almost everything else.

Reactions: Jezza
I do which is why I'm trying to get all these pics. Having handled a production unit, I greatly value your input on it. I am trying to talk myself into getting one then tweaking it to make it work. I do have a 1.5" MML and 3" suspension lift which I figured would help. I'm planning to crawl under there this week and eyeball it to see what things looked like. I'm thinking how low it hangs down below the oil pan and it's proximity to the front DS are the main issues. Would you guess it's possible with a little work or is there just to much for it to be practical?
When I installed it and removed it, there wasn't a lot of time to consider a rework and the fact that the rig needed an engine skid was another reason. Engine skid will be very entertaining to get in place with the exhaust that low.

I was planning to keep my Savvy engine skid in storage for the moment so in the short to medium term at least that won't be an issue. Being able to make the front driveshaft clear the things at full stuff obviously is though.

Soooooo, why is no one talking about the horrible fit of these headers around the oil pan ??? I love the 20-30hp dyno claim, love the “crack resistant” design … but the dingleberry design below the engine is no acceptable … I want to like these! I been drooling about their headers on my C3 Corvette for years.

Anyways, hope the “revised” design is better …

Soooooo, why is no one talking about the horrible fit of these headers around the oil pan ??? I love the 20-30hp dyno claim, love the “crack resistant” design … but the dingleberry design below the engine is no acceptable … I want to like these! I been drooling about their headers on my C3 Corvette for years.

Anyways, hope the “revised” design is better …
Do you have a lift? I had to fiddle dick with mine and they fit. I have a 3.5" lift. The pinion would hit from time to time. I had a vibe in the front that I couldn't find, so I converted to manual hubs because of that. I then rotated my pinion down some to regain some castor and haven't had an issue since.

I didn't see or feel much of a difference with these. They smoothed out rpm acceleration and it was a little louder. That's about it, I had a canned FRP tune to pair with it but couldn't get pinging to stop. I bought headers if I decided to do a supercharger but for what premium costs I backed out of that idea.

Do you have a lift? I had to fiddle dick with mine and they fit. I have a 3.5" lift. The pinion would hit from time to time. I had a vibe in the front that I couldn't find, so I converted to manual hubs because of that. I then rotated my pinion down some to regain some castor and haven't had an issue since.

I didn't see or feel much of a difference with these. They smoothed out rpm acceleration and it was a little louder. That's about it, I had a canned FRP tune to pair with it but couldn't get pinging to stop. I bought headers if I decided to do a supercharger but for what premium costs I backed out of that idea.
Your description is unacceptable fitment in my eyes …

Your description is unacceptable fitment in my eyes …
I mean, the quality is there but I guess where 6 pipes meet to one was kinda a challenge of a design... With what they cost and if you have no issues with your current manifold, I would spend the money elsewhere. Also, they limit you on mid arm and long arm lifts if you want to go that route later. That's my experience, they have been good so far.

I bought a set. Probably going to wait to install with the Eddy head at the same time which will probably be a little bit. I will report back when I do.

I will say that I called beforehand to ask about the fitment issues mentioned on here. I think it was the son of the owner I talked to who said they had a "new version" that addressed all that and these were originally designed for his dad's XJ fwiw. Mine showed up with a 2 bolt flange at the collector which I thought from reading in here had been changed. I also asked about tweaking it to make it fit the way I wanted and he made it clear that would void the warranty while at the same time being vague about a fitment guarantee which didn't give me a warm fuzzy. Hanging down super far under the oil pan or kissing the front driveshaft is going to piss me off of it happens. I'm only about 4-5 hrs from NYC though so might be and to install and road trip up there to have them fix it? Getting a little ahead of myself here.

I bought a set. Probably going to wait to install with the Eddy head at the same time which will probably be a little bit. I will report back when I do.

I will say that I called beforehand to ask about the fitment issues mentioned on here. I think it was the son of the owner I talked to who said they had a "new version" that addressed all that and these were originally designed for his dad's XJ fwiw. Mine showed up with a 2 bolt flange at the collector which I thought from reading in here had been changed. I also asked about tweaking it to make it fit the way I wanted and he made it clear that would void the warranty while at the same time being vague about a fitment guarantee which didn't give me a warm fuzzy. Hanging down super far under the oil pan or kissing the front driveshaft is going to piss me off of it happens. I'm only about 4-5 hrs from NYC though so might be and to install and road trip up there to have them fix it? Getting a little ahead of myself here.
If you decide to sell your Russ ported head once you install the eddy, let me know. I would be interested.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Boooo. Need is relative. It's only a need if you want to keep the factory exhaust manifolds of the same era. No worries though 🙂