American Racing Headers Long Tube Headers for the Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0

Im still at Borla. Went through a few of them in the beginning and Ive had this last hedder on for at least 15 years. Borlas tech told me they didnt cool before. Lil swoop and now it does. Every tj from memory, had this issue backintheday, I replced countless headdes manifolds, Still doing them. Only one I recommend is because I got one that works. And I been drinking so yeah, the words that you read,,, I guess Im red, lol

Im still at Borla. Went through a few of them in the beginning and Ive had this last hedder on for at least 15 years. Borlas tech told me they didnt cool before. Lil swoop and now it does. Every tj from memory, had this issue backintheday, I replced countless headdes manifolds, Still doing them. Only one I recommend is because I got one that works. And I been drinking so yeah, the words that you read,,, I guess Im red, lol
All they needed was a flex joint on each end to keep them from cracking, the Chinese figured that out in about 1998...

@Chris can elaborate but the ARH did not play well with his Savvy setup.
They work work with an engine skid and they won’t work with a Savvy mid-arm or a long arm. If you want to run them with a short arm and no engine skid, then they’ll work just fine.

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a set of these with the Cats. I am also coupling these with a canned tune from FRP (have the tuner, just need to do the software side). I have read all the threads I can about these. My jeep is completely stock and has the original exhaust from factory, Just curious about a few things.

1. People's experience with them so far now that they have some miles on them
?
2. Those with the Cat, how close is it to the axle, driveshaft and upper control arm? ( I have a 3.5 RK short arm lift with savvy arms)

3. Any issues with excessive heat where the cat is by the oil pan?

Thanks for the insight.

Ive never had a Borla header with a flex joint. It was a cooling issue with first versions.
Is this one of their first production design headers?

20200817_123225_resized.jpg

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a set of these with the Cats. I am also coupling these with a canned tune from FRP (have the tuner, just need to do the software side). I have read all the threads I can about these. My jeep is completely stock and has the original exhaust from factory, Just curious about a few things.

1. People's experience with them so far now that they have some miles on them
?
2. Those with the Cat, how close is it to the axle, driveshaft and upper control arm? ( I have a 3.5 RK short arm lift with savvy arms)

3. Any issues with excessive heat where the cat is by the oil pan?

Thanks for the insight.
My stock TJ had/has clearance issues with the collector joint and the front driveshaft. I sent it back in and they put it on their jig and said it was up to spec. I ended up putting about a 1.75” lift on it and it still will get whacked by the driveshaft if there’s more than a little suspension up travel. I replaced the motor mounts also since they said that might be an issue even though mine weren’t too bad. It’s less often that I experience it, but something to consider. And I’m not talking about getting flexy off road either.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
My stock TJ had/has clearance issues with the collector joint and the front driveshaft. I sent it back in and they put it on their jig and said it was up to spec. I ended up putting about a 1.75” lift on it and it still will get whacked by the driveshaft if there’s more than a little suspension up travel. I replaced the motor mounts also since they said that might be an issue even though mine weren’t too bad. It’s less often that I experience it, but something to consider. And I’m not talking about getting flexy off road either.
Thanks for the insight. I remember reading about that. That's why I was hesitant, I did call ARH and I didn't get his name. He answered some of my questions. I did pull the trigger on it, we will see what happens when I get it on. If anything, the driveshaft will beat into shape. How close is the distance now?

I used a ball and socket style exhaust connector instead of the factory one and it just barely clips it just enough to make a horrible grinding crunch when they bump uglies. I wired the stock clamp up and out of the way for now. I’ll have my muffler shop cut and weld so that the connection is up a few inches higher and it shouldn’t be a problem there. I’ve been waiting to do that until I replace my rear main seal. It shouldn’t have any issues clearing the pipe without the clamps.
41244D6B-EB4E-4687-B019-FA21380D3461.jpeg
56CA7F7E-9257-4477-A9F8-17E17EA7847D.jpeg

I used a ball and socket style exhaust connector instead of the factory one and it just barely clips it just enough to make a horrible grinding crunch when they bump uglies. I wired the stock clamp up and out of the way for now. I’ll have my muffler shop cut and weld so that the connection is up a few inches higher and it shouldn’t be a problem there. I’ve been waiting to do that until I replace my rear main seal. It shouldn’t have any issues clearing the pipe without the clamps.View attachment 244102View attachment 244103
Can you post pics from the front showing how low this thing hangs down around the oil pan?

Thanks a bunch man. I'm thinking about picking this up to install along with my Edelbrock head. Any other input on it after having had it on for this long?

... are the headers any good or no?

No. Headers give you a nice note, and they will give you a power boost, though seldom as high as is claimed. What no one talks about is how they only give you that power boost above, say... 4000 rpm. How much time do you spend up in that range in your jeep? Another thing they don't tell you is that they will rob you of that highly useful, low-end, take-off-from-a-stop-light grunt that your Jeep is prized for.

You want a race car, buy a race car.

That isn't universally true at all, but broadly speaking on a stock TJ it is.
Back when I was into the type of crap you see in Truckin Magazine, I was around the folks that made the Mopar Performance headers and assisted with the Mopar Performance PCM that was sold at the dealer. One of their projects had everyone pretty pleased with themselves. They were working on the Dakota 5.9 and managed with a tune and headers to add about 75 Dyno proven HP. That was astounding back then.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck