Android to iPhone

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
I'm due for a new phone...work sponsored. I'm currently rocking a Samsung S7...and its been a great phone. However, this weekend the screen cracked. I really don't know how. I was going to ride this one out until the S10 drops in February. I've been on the tail end of the new Samsung phones for a while. However, with a cracked screen creating a more pressing need, I'm debating on switching to the iPhone Xr or Xs.

Has anyone out there recently switched from Android to iOs? How much learning curve is there? Do you regret it? Did iTunes take over your computer and wreck havoc? Does google work as seamlessly on iOs as it does on Android?

Reactions: Starrs and Shatto
iPhone XS I believe is the one that is the go to right now. My girlfriend used to be a Samsung rep and skipped back to Samsung multiple times after Apple, but this time it's hands down according to her. She works in the mobile industry as a manager and gets her hands on all kinds of phones. Apple has a better OS hands down and there tends to be better legacy support than on Android.

Personally I went with a Sonim XP8, but my priorities are much different.

Reactions: Jon Wildes
Have you looked at the Google Pixel 3/3xl? I have the pixel 3 and it's a great phone. Stock android FTW. I helped my mom setup her iPhone XS. Didn't take me long to learn my way around iOs. I still prefer stock android over iOs, but thats personal preference.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Have you looked at the Google Pixel 3/3xl? I have the pixel 3 and it's a great phone. Stock android FTW. I helped my mom setup her iPhone XS. Didn't take me long to learn my way around iOs. I still prefer stock android over iOs, but thats personal preference.
No, that is an option too, I guess. It does have the more "pure" application of android...

We setup my mom and dad on iPhone and it's really not a bad system. I know mine doesn't run perfect, but I really don't care. I wanted a more standard plug with a bulletproof case, micro SD card, big physical buttons, insanely loud speaker, works when the screen is wet, and easily swappable, massive battery.

I went from an S7 (maybe 8?) to an Iphone a year ago. Can't stand it, Ill be going back after the contract is up. There are a lot of little nuances. Maybe they are just they way I prefer things but when I type, be it email/text/web, I prefer the swype method where you dont lift a finger. For the Iphone you have to download an app to be able to do that, and every now and then it will shut itself off. When I click on links within my email a little window pops up and you can choose between safari or chrome with the option of selecting "never ask me again". I always hit "never ask me again" but a few days later it pops right back up again.

My biggest gripe is the photo/camera. I use my phone for work on a daily basis and can take a hundred photos for a project. On the Samsung, I could create a folder and transfer all the photos taken that day to that particular folder. When I go to upload, I simply navigated to that folder and cut/pasted to my computer. The Iphone requires a Macbook to keep everything in order. When I take photos and hook to my computer, they are always in random order. I have to navigate to each individual picture and transfer it to my computer. The Iphone also self-creates way to many albums. Camera Roll, Favorites, People, Places, also creates albums for specific apps you have.

Which iPhone did you get? I can't speak for the i stuff. I haven't really had anything significant. I wish they'd make a phone/OS and not constantly update it where they made apps unsupported after just a few years. But I feel like Apple has the better legacy support, which might draw me away when they will use the USB C plug and though they'd never do it, something like a microSD card that I could swap out, and I like being able to remove my giant battery myself and swapping in another giant battery when it won't hold a charge very well anymore.

I think its an Iphone 8 plus. The battery is built-in and has no capability for an external SD card.

On the plus side--The battery is good, in the year Ive had it I can get almost two days of life out of it. Thats with multiple calls a day/ text/ email time/music. The charging port may be starting to come loose (though it may be my cord).

I don't know what number iPhone is on, but I think they do wireless charging now which is nice (I've used it for years on my old Samsung). I doubt they've fixed the folders and stuff though. My gf likes the camera and she's used the various ones that are out there now.

I think overall for the average person the iPhone is probably generically problem free, but it is what it is. Apple really isn't innovative except in marketing stuff that's been out for awhile. They love proprietary stuff, but I think that's starting to come back around, which might be a reason to skip a generation or 2. Apple is not for me but it seems to be for most. Price and other specifics tend to be the factors driving people from iPhone. OS stability is the key for iPhone.

To get the equivalent storage in an iPhone the XS would cost me $1,249 and probably $100 for a not as good case oh and probably $50 to cover the glass. My phone was $700. I expect 3 years from my phone vs 4 years for the iPhone. Since my phone is rare, I experience more problems, but I just work around them and hardly notice. My battery capacity is probably 25% more than the iPhone XS. IMO I don't think the extra cost for the top iPhone is worth it, but I don't what their cheap stuff is. If the OS is the same then those might make financial sense, but so often companies will use older or less supported OS so you don't get the life out of them. If you've got a smaller battery you'll be cycling it more as well, which means less life. My camera is very slow for my new phone so it's certainly not apples to apples.

I'm looking at the X vs the Xr. Also looking at the S9...but man, that thing is HUGE...and I'd be on the end of the Samsung Cycle again.

@tworley do you use google photos? It won't help with the files on the phone, but at least once they are in the cloud (which can be set-up to do automatically), you can organize them very quickly and download the entire album to your computer with a simple keystroke (Shift+D)

@tworley do you use google photos? It won't help with the files on the phone, but at least once they are in the cloud (which can be set-up to do automatically), you can organize them very quickly and download the entire album to your computer with a simple keystroke (Shift+D)

Rarely. Ive got a decent memory that once I get them all off my phone I can organize them pretty quickly on my desktop or project folder

I've been having this same debate with myself. I've been a Samsung guy for decades. I'm using the Samsung Galaxy S8+. My major complaint is the screen aspect ratio. The older Samsung Note 4 I had was shaped more like the largest Apples is now. More a TV shape than a theater screen shape for those that don't understand aspect ratio. Samsung is now like 16:9 (tall and narrow) and the Apple is more like 5:4 (more square). I much prefer the wider fatter squarer phone than the tall skinny one I have in the Samsung S8+.

But I also use gmail exclusively and all google products pretty much. I need that to integrate fully. I'm not sure I can do that with an Apple.

I also like that I can swap out sd cards. That's huge. Swapping out the battery was even better. But the new Samsungs cut out that out of their lineup. Bad move IMHO. No matter the battery life. With removable batteries you can have extra batteries and a charger (the phone itself) for extending battery life. Like while on a flight. YEs alot of seats have power now. But not all. I can take 2 or 3 extra hicap batteries. And keep my phone running for days. And if I can find power recharge those batteries right in my phone. No other charger needed.

I do think the pics on Iphone are amazing. But with that file folder problem that would be a PITA. I would also like to Facetime with my son in college. Who refuses to add the Facebook Messenger app. That's the go to for video messaging on Android IMHO. My entire family is on it anyway. Except my Iphone loving son. lol.

Plus the screens on iphones do not seem to hold up as well as Samsung at all. I've never broken a screen on a Samsung. But I can't tell you how many broken screens I've seen on many family members iphones. It's definitely not as tough a glass as the gorilla glass by corning that is standard on Samsungs.

Has anyone ever considered turning an older Samsung into a GPS mapping, movies, music all in one device for the Jeep? I have a nice Saumsung Note 4 that has lost its cell ability. But everything else works fine. It still uses wifi and you load anything you want onto it. Or watch netflix etc. when in wifi range. But mostly I'm thinking middle of nowhere device that you preload gps maps, movies and music too. For using out in the woods. Where there isn't cell coverage. My current set up is my Samsung Galaxy S8+ with cell service and a Garmin handheld GPS unit on the dash. I use the Garmin hiking anyway. So putting it on the dash makes sense. But it's not like full mapping software. IT's a the older 20 something unit. Small screen handheld device. At least on the older Samsung phone I'd have space on the screen for fuller maps. And I can put a HUGe sd card in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and BugoutJeep
IMO hardware on phones peaked with the S5. I was told that removable battery is a no go for wireless charging. Wireless charging is handy until apps start configuring to the newer faster phones and your battery life starts to become fairly highly cycled.

I like the idea that of a phone holder in my vehicle that I just set in the cradle and start driving and it charges my phone. My phone doesn't do that.

I do like your idea on the GPS mapping and files without cell service, but I think I'd lean toward using a tablet for that. Maybe not. I tried to make my entire dash cluster a tablet, but the Cummins ECU uses J1939 and the support is fairly lacking and no one seemed confident on what I would even be able to access so I went with regular digital gauges.

I'm due for a new phone...work sponsored. I'm currently rocking a Samsung S7...and its been a great phone. However, this weekend the screen cracked. I really don't know how. I was going to ride this one out until the S10 drops in February. I've been on the tail end of the new Samsung phones for a while. However, with a cracked screen creating a more pressing need, I'm debating on switching to the iPhone Xr or Xs.

Has anyone out there recently switched from Android to iOs? How much learning curve is there? Do you regret it? Did iTunes take over your computer and wreck havoc? Does google work as seamlessly on iOs as it does on Android?

Apple has received millions of dollars of free advertising that has reached 20 million people who listen to the Rush Limbaugh radio show. I said free advertising because Apple will never hire a Conservative.

Rush is a tech-head and knows everything about the iPhone which is his source of communication, by email and text. Anyway, he told the caller that there may be some confusion changing from Android to the iPhone but that is all.

I can't find a transcript, but you could Google.

iOS and don’t look back. You’ll realky like the simplicity of the operating system. My dad recently switched to android and he hates himself now. I think it saved him 4 bucks a month...he’s trying to sell his Samsung to get an iPhone again.

I'm going to attempt to fix my S7. It does everything I ask of it...and I really can't stomach the 800 dollar bill that comes with a new phone. Of course, the new screen and digitizer was 150 bucks, plus tax and a couple other odds and ends (like a new back for when mine inevitably breaks again) I'm at 200 to fix my old phone. Its a delayed expense...but at least when I turn this one in, someone will get a nice phone that looks all new and shiny.

Depends on what you want your phone to do for you. My Android connects Bluetooth to the truck ECM, which allows me to run Torque Pro, see transmission temp & a bazillion other things. Also connects to my Yamaha home amp for streaming video & audio. I can open the garage doors with it.
Apple has far better control of the apps for their phones. Which typically makes them better quality, and far less common.

Depends on what you want your phone to do for you. My Android connects Bluetooth to the truck ECM, which allows me to run Torque Pro, see transmission temp & a bazillion other things. Also connects to my Yamaha home amp for streaming video & audio. I can open the garage doors with it.
Apple has far better control of the apps for their phones. Which typically makes them better quality, and far less common.

It's always seemed to me that there were more apps being developed for android than iphone. But then my son told me iphones outsell android. SO now I'm not sure. But in the past it always seemed like there were more tech related apps for android than iphone.

I'm going to attempt to fix my S7. It does everything I ask of it...and I really can't stomach the 800 dollar bill that comes with a new phone. Of course, the new screen and digitizer was 150 bucks, plus tax and a couple other odds and ends (like a new back for when mine inevitably breaks again) I'm at 200 to fix my old phone. Its a delayed expense...but at least when I turn this one in, someone will get a nice phone that looks all new and shiny.

I don't know of anything that I am missing or getting by upgrading from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S8+. Except I lost a great screen shape/size and removable batteries. And I got a hefty monthly lease payment. I'm kind of over this $800 cellphone crap myself. I kind of wish I had just bought another Note 4 for $250. I already had a collection of batteries. And different backs for hicap batteries too.

Reactions: Airjunky
It's always seemed to me that there were more apps being developed for android than iphone. But then my son told me iphones outsell android. SO now I'm not sure. But in the past it always seemed like there were more tech related apps for android than iphone.
Lol, that's his wishful thinking. Look it up. Apple is currently at an all-time high at 43%. Android has been outselling for years so the number of current users is a lot higher.
Since not everyone can write Apple software, there is far less apps out there. But like I said before, they are typically better apps. Droid apps can range from really great to really crap as their isn't nearly as much regulation.