Anyone install hood vents?

• Haha
Reactions: psrivats and jjvw
Those are pretty ugly, they miss all the right lines of the TJ hood or design over all and are overly aggressive. Metalcloak of the south?

1704677649697.png

If you drive when there's water in the road, there's already water all in your engine compartment. Of the reasons to not do a hood vent, this one is the silliest.

Except when it rains with the Jeep parked, and rain gets on a fuse block that is mounted on the top of your fender (that never got wet prior to the holes being cut), and the wet fuse then screws up an oil cooler fan making it run all night, and that drains the battery. That's a pretty good reason not to cut holes in your hood. Right? Or is that silly?

Except when it rains with the Jeep parked, and rain gets on a fuse block that is mounted on the top of your fender (that never got wet prior to the holes being cut), and the wet fuse then screws up an oil cooler fan making it run all night, and that drains the battery. That's a pretty good reason not to cut holes in your hood. Right? Or is that silly?

Find an example of that actually being a problem and we can talk. Because if it was a problem in your driveway or parking spot, it would have been a problem long before under much harsher conditions (like driving on a wet road).

Reactions: tworley and Ocho
Find an example of that actually being a problem and we can talk. Because if it was a problem in your driveway or parking spot, it would have been a problem long before under much harsher conditions (like driving on a wet road).

A nitpicky detail is that a wet fuse won't turn into a switch. 😉

Reactions: rasband

Yep. Me and my Jeep has never done a hard trail - you caught me. Enjoy.

• Haha
Reactions: rasband
Yep. Me and my Jeep has never done a hard trail - you caught me. Enjoy.

What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with hard trails or what trails you enjoy. It's basic logic about a silly assertion that hood louviers are going to cause any (much less more) issues sitting in a driveway than a jeep without them in motion in similar weather.

Yep that's silly. That would be like never take your top off because if it rained while it was off you would screwed. 😄

These are like anything else we do to our jeeps, some people like our mods and other don't. I did mine because I like the look, now if you don't that your option but I did it for me not for you. So you just have to respect others choices. ;)

I didn't think it rained in SoCal? Fuses cannot turn anything on and relays waterproof.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Mine has sat out in the parking lot at work quite a few time in tropical storms and really heavy rains. The only thing I noticed different was the fan belt squeaked for about 1/2 a second when it initially started.

I did mine knowing that it wasn’t going to lower engine temps one bit. But I did do it to try and let some heat out of the engine bay.

We installed the Rugged Ridge Hood Vents specifically to lower the engine bay temps. They are smaller than many of the metal louvered styles, and have a clean look (no visible lip or bolt heads sticking up). They definitely work at removing heat from the engine bay.

20220329_093352.jpg

What was the difference in degrees?

I never measured before I installed the vents. All I know is that much of the plastic in the engine bay has started to deteriorate from the heat over the years, and the hood prop-rod got screamin' hot so any way I could release some of that heat the better. I can definitely feel the heat exiting through the vent so I know it is doing something. How much I couldn't specifically say.

I never measured before I installed the vents. All I know is that much of the plastic in the engine bay has started to deteriorate from the heat over the years, and the hood prop-rod got screamin' hot so any way I could release some of that heat the better. I can definitely feel the heat exiting through the vent so I know it is doing something. How much I couldn't specifically say.

I’ve had my hood vents installed about 10 years? Never had any issue with water with them. Like you I have not measured temp, but you can see the heat escaping the vents very clearly.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I’ve had my hood vents installed about 10 years? Never had any issue with water with them. Like you I have not measured temp, but you can see the heat escaping the vents very clearly.

I'd like to put in some hood vents, but what with all the rain we get here, I'd like to put them in the side of the hood. Maybe Buick port holes or something.

Reactions: inkedrose