Are chromoly axles enough?

MellowYellow

TJ Enthusiast
4.0, 6 speed, 33" tires, Dana 30/35. As soon as the money hits my hand I'm upgrading to 4.56's. Will chromoly axles be enough of an upgrade for a %99 daily driver and an occasional off road on easy trails? Probably lock the rear. I know a 44 would be better, but trying to keep on a tight budget. I also know this subject has been beat to death, but humor me....I'm working night shift

4.0, 6 speed, 33" tires, Dana 30/35. As soon as the money hits my hand I'm upgrading to 4.56's. Will chromoly axles be enough of an upgrade for a %99 daily driver and an occasional off road on easy trails? Probably lock the rear. I know a 44 would be better, but trying to keep on a tight budget. I also know this subject has been beat to death, but humor me....I'm working night shift

the answer to that question is the same across the board, depends on your intended uses. From what you described stock axles sound up to the task, however if you're set on also locking the rear then definitely upgrade those shafts at a minimum.

Reactions: MellowYellow
A Super 35 kit is up to the task.

Yes, but I'm wondering if JUST the axles will give me a little peace of mind on my rare off-road rides .

Yes of course, stronger shafts will give some more confidence.

As far as I know you’ve got 2 choices to upgrade the Dana 35 shafts, you can go with the same diameter as stock (1.18 inches/27 splines) in chromoly which will be stronger than stock, or you can bump up to the Super35 which has a little bigger diameter (1.31 inches/ 30 splines) which are most likely 1541 hardened steel as opposed to chromoly BUT that requires a locker so it makes a pretty big difference cost-wise. The upgraded 27 spline shafts are a few hundred while the 30 spline upgrade will be near or over a grand depending on the locker you pick.

Here's what they look like side by side:

Jeep 27 v 30 spline.jpg

By the way since you're regearing this would be the ideal time to toss a locker in & man that's a fun button

Yes of course, stronger shafts will give some more confidence.

As far as I know you’ve got 2 choices to upgrade the Dana 35 shafts, you can go with the same diameter as stock (1.18 inches/27 splines) in chromoly which will be stronger than stock, or you can bump up to the Super35 which has a little bigger diameter (1.31 inches/ 30 splines) which are most likely 1541 hardened steel as opposed to chromoly BUT that requires a locker so it makes a pretty big difference cost-wise. The upgraded 27 spline shafts are a few hundred while the 30 spline upgrade will be near or over a grand depending on the locker you pick.

Here's what they look like side by side:

View attachment 46308

By the way since you're regearing this would be the ideal time to toss a locker in & man that's a fun button
Yeah, probably go Lock right no slip. Had one in a pickup and went everywhere.

Are the 33's 10.5 or 12.5?

Realistically with the gear reduction and 'occasional off road on easy trails', the stock axle will be fine.
12.50 . I'm world famous for being easy on my vehicles (can't afford too many repairs!) So I should be ok stock .Just wanting an little extra cushion in case I make a wrong turn someday.

Reactions: billiebob
12.50 . I'm world famous for being easy on my vehicles (can't afford too many repairs!) So I should be ok stock .Just wanting an little extra cushion in case I make a wrong turn someday.

Stock will be fine. Unless your giving it a boot full hopping rocks. The easiest way to break an axles is getting on the power and going from no traction to traction.
If you're mechanically sympathetic, you could run 35s and still not have an issue.

Put the money you would spend on axles into a Dana 44.

Reactions: hear
Stock will be fine. Unless your giving it a boot full hopping rocks. The easiest way to break an axles is getting on the power and going from no traction to traction.
If you're mechanically sympathetic, you could run 35s and still not have an issue.

Put the money you would spend on axles into a Dana 44.
I feel its hard to realistically trail ride without running into “getting on the power and going from no traction to traction.”

Tire spin is going to happen off road. At some point the trail will be wet. OP is from the South and the trails there are littered with rock gardens and water crossings.

I feel its hard to realistically trail ride without running into “getting on the power and going from no traction to traction.”

Tire spin is going to happen off road. At some point the trail will be wet. OP is from the South and the trails there are littered with rock gardens and water crossings.
Haha here in GA, those are the only opportunities for somesfun!

You have three options if staying with the Dana 35.

1) 1541H axles only
2) 1541 axles with 27 Spline locker
3) Super35 (30 Spline axles) with locker

The good thing about the first two is that you can use your stock axles as spares. The good thing about the third is you probably would never break it. I’d be prone to go with option 1 or 3. I’m not confident in the 1541 axles 27 Spline locked, but I have to admit no experience with it.

Is it possible to run an oem style 30 spline open carrier to accommodate the 30 spline chromoly shafts? I know the OP said he planned on instaalins a locker, but I'm just wondering

Is it possible to run an oem style 30 spline open carrier to accommodate the 30 spline chromoly shafts? I know the OP said he planned on instaalins a locker, but I'm just wondering
No. And you don’t want chromoly for a Dana 35, only for the Dana 30 and 44. :)

Reactions: 2006TJ1
There are no open carriers/spiders available in 30 spline for the 35.

oh haha show how much I know!

so are the 30 spline shafts made of the same material as oem, but the fact that they are 30 spline make them that much stronger?
No, most are 4340 or a similar hardened steel. There is a great thread where Blaine explains the difference in steels and hardening. I can't recall how it all started unfortunately.

No, most are 4340 or a similar hardened steel. There is a great thread where Blaine explains the difference in steels and hardening. I can't recall how it all started unfortunately.

Revolution stopped making the 30 spline in 4340 maybe two or so years ago in favor of 1541h (just talking about the Dana 35 here), I asked them why & for what it's worth here was their reply: "We stopped producing them in the Chromolly because of the C-clip. It is soft and the tension that 4340 Chromo creates on the C-clip will break. We have learned that in the Industry no-one makes a Chromo axle anymore. Unless is specifically made for a C-clip eliminator axle which we don't provide yet. They are a 1541 Steel and for a Dana 35 is the industry standard right now!"

I'm not sure if their statement that "no one in the industry makes a Chromo axle anymore" is accurate because I've seen some other manufacturers online still offering them, but many of them are "out of stock" when you try & throw one in the shopping cart so who knows... Personally I was satisfied with RGA's reasoning & went with their S35 shafts. None of that applies to the front however, they still make those in chromoly, when I regeared I put the S30 in as well, they're bigger & stronger than stock & give me some added peace of mind. I'm aware that the gurus tell us that's not necessary for the Dana 30 given the greatly reduced stress it sees as compared to the rear, particularly on 33s, but I pulled that trigger anyway under the overkill never hurt anyone theory, cept the checking account :p

Reactions: JMT
@MellowYellow :

I know this will sound like heresy since so many in the Jeep community are obsessed with aftermarket parts and modifications, but for your application and the uses you describe my suggestion would be to continue to run stock axle shafts in your Dana 35 until you damage one, and then consider that unfortunate experience to be your upgrade opportunity.

Odds are that you will never break or twist your stock rear axle shafts, even with 33" tires, 4.56 gears and a Lock Rite. Also, your jeep will never be any stronger than its weakest link, so if you upgrade rear axle shafts it will be just the beginning of an expensive process. Best to be conservative with your modifications if you don't have the budget to go all the way.