Arizona Rock Crawling Daily Driver

Quick update:
I fixed the noise I was getting. It was like popping noises underneath me while slowly turning. It’s bizarre but it turned out the skid plate bolts needed to be tightened. Noise went away after that.

My torque converter definitely is not locking up. Here is where I’m at.
I have no CEL.
CEL comes on if I unplug the TCC from the tranny so we know the pcm is an auto pcm and that the solenoid is giving resistance.
I’m hoping the solenoid is mechanically stuck and that swapping solenoids does the trick.

Great video. Your auto made climbing look easy. How was your steering when you were turning your wheels poised on that ledge? Looked like it might be time for some PSC. Not trying to spend your money or anything 😁

Reactions: starkey480
Great video. Your auto made climbing look easy. How was your steering when you were turning your wheels poised on that ledge? Looked like it might be time for some PSC. Not trying to spend your money or anything 😁
Oh steering is constantly a bitch and totally merited just not in the budget yet. One day though!

Oh steering is constantly a bitch and totally merited just not in the budget yet. One day though!
Wasn't in my budget either lol. But I busted my box last couple times I was out. I decided to bite the bullet rather than putting any money into the stock set up. Ordered the parts today.

Wasn't in my budget either lol. But I busted my box last couple times I was out. I decided to bite the bullet rather than putting any money into the stock set up. Ordered the parts today.
If my box busts I will absolutely go PSC. Right now my main priority is getting everything mechanically sound, then trans cooler then probably corner armor.

If my box busts I will absolutely go PSC. Right now my main priority is getting everything mechanically sound, then trans cooler then probably corner armor.
Trans cooler is on my list too. I'm just not sure I'll get everything done by TJ Fest. Hope to have most done, but still going regardless of progress lol.

Reactions: JMT
I’ll have to check. It’s plenty though. I also didn’t use the studs yukon sent I used different ones and Blaine machined my hub and rotors to make sure the interference was perfect.
I'm not using the Yukon ones either. Blaine machined my hub as well. Just cross checking with what I have.

20210222_212019.jpg

20210222_212041.jpg

Reactions: Alex01
I'm not using the Yukon ones either. Blaine machined my hub as well. Just cross checking with what I have.

View attachment 228519

View attachment 228520
The problem is as I stated, that style lug stud does not have any options that give you more thread.

Here is the ones Yukon sends out next to the old one that Warn used to send out. Note the distance from under the head to the end of the threads.

DSC_5244.JPG

Another comparison shot of the two more common studs used in the conversions and that style behind the flange rotor mount.

DSC_5406.JPG

DSC_5407.JPG

I believe there is one that is slightly longer, a 180 IIRC. I think I checked and one of the holes was already too large for it. I'll check again and if anyone knows of a stud like that which has more thread, I'll really be liking to know the number.

The best option is to say screw it, pun intended, and dispense with those crap press in studs. Go to a new pattern of 1/2-20 threaded holes halfway between each and then drill the rotor with a 1/2" clearance hole. After that, use the screw in wheel studs like aftermarket rear axles have. We've done several that way when the owners have rims with really thick mounting surfaces in the lug nut holes. Those studs are available up to 3" long.

The problem is as I stated, that style lug stud does not have any options that give you more thread.

Here is the ones Yukon sends out next to the old one that Warn used to send out. Note the distance from under the head to the end of the threads.

View attachment 228538
Another comparison shot of the two more common studs used in the conversions and that style behind the flange rotor mount.

View attachment 228539

View attachment 228540
Got it. Distance looks relatively the same length. I get 6 full turns when finger tightening the lug nuts, then another turn when tightening with a torque wrench. That puts me at 7 full turns. Is that sufficient?

Got it. Distance looks relatively the same length. I get 6 full turns when finger tightening the lug nuts, then another turn when tightening with a torque wrench. That puts me at 7 full turns. Is that sufficient?
Not for me. I would want at a minimum one diameter of thread engagement. Since it is a 20 thread per inch stud, that means at least 10 turns. Time for some ET lug nuts.

Reactions: taylormade73