Arizona Rock Crawling Daily Driver

Excellent!

You actually don't want to drive around without lockup, when the TC locks up is when the cooler flow circuit goes fully open. Most people don't know that. So, you can burn up the trans without it.

Some shift kits or aftermarket valves will bypass this and be full flow all the time, but that's not needed.
Good to know! I have a temp gauge that I looked at closely this week so it definitely never overheated but it will feel good to have this wrapped up

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
Good to know! I have a temp gauge that I looked at closely this week so it definitely never overheated but it will feel good to have this wrapped up
Good to keep an eye on it.

My cooler flow comment is not crucial when you are Rock crawling, it's more of a driving down the road at speed and it should be in Lockup. You have to follow a oil flow chart to see what it really means. But again, if your lockup is working then your golden!

The automatic transmission is just a black box under your rig. And all is well til it doesn't work anymore!

Excellent!

You actually don't want to drive around without lockup, when the TC locks up is when the cooler flow circuit goes fully open. Most people don't know that. So, you can burn up the trans without it.

Some shift kits or aftermarket valves will bypass this and be full flow all the time, but that's not needed.
I think they make that shifter kit for the 42rle if I’m not mistaken. Would be nice to add.

I think they make that shifter kit for the 42rle if I’m not mistaken. Would be nice to add.
Transgo makes a small shift kit for it. And a Company called Sonnax makes several valve upgrades. When mine needs a rebuild I will be going all in with upgrades. Not racing super transmission stuff, but as good as i can.

Reactions: pc1p and Irun
Going wheeling today on a trail called highway to hell. I’ve been slightly intimidated by it in the past but the auto has me feeling more confident. The trailhead is marked with a statue of broken Jeep parts.

161D41DA-5297-42CF-A4F2-790990FBE9D1.png

I'm glad I didn't go with you. About 7 PM I started throwing up and it continued to last most of the night. Looks like I got that damn stomach bug my kids all got from school.

Bummer though, cause I would have liked to have gone!

Looks like an awesome trail. The 5:30 mark had me a bit nervous for a moment. Can't imagine that felt to good inside the jeep.

I had many shit my pants moments and that was definitely one of them 😂 felt like I was about to lay it down on its side.
I bet. Looks like if you didn't take your foot off the gas it would have ended badly. The downside of building up your rig is the level of the trails goes up and the risk increases. Why we keep building is beyond me lol.

I need to plan a trip to AZ. Looks like you guys have some great wheeling.

I bet. Looks like if you didn't take your foot off the gas it would have ended badly. The downside of building up your rig is the level of the trails goes up and the risk increases. Why we keep building is beyond me lol.

I need to plan a trip to AZ. Looks like you guys have some great wheeling.
Yep. The scary part is usually turning into the direction your falling is the correct answer. Come out and wheel! I would love to take you out on some trails. It’s as good as you want it to be. This trail had a buggy only V notch on it with a 15 ft fall if you slide down. I’ve only seen rigs on 40s and 16” coilovers do it. It takes a TON of travel

• Wow
Reactions: Alex01
This was by far the most challenging trail I’ve ever done and the videos do absolutely zero justice. It was 3 miles of straight obstacles with no break. Took all day pretty much. Lots of diff grabbers which was one of the hardest parts.
Really great video. Jeep looks like its performing aweseome!

Awesome! Good work.
Lockup has the trans running 40* cooler on the road. I never got above 125* going 50mph for an hour. Never got above 165* while wheeling.
I still have a leak in the output shaft seal though which is frustrating. The PO already had a Teraflex seal extension in there that’s banged up and I’m sure it’s causing the leak but I just can’t figure out how to get it out. I have a new extension to replace it. I tried replacing the seal with rtv around the edge of it and still leaks
69DB9E45-0D35-4532-B576-FFB35CEC3DC5.png

Lockup has the trans running 40* cooler on the road. I never got above 125* going 50mph for an hour. Never got above 165* while wheeling.
I still have a leak in the output shaft seal though which is frustrating. The PO already had a Teraflex seal extension in there that’s banged up and I’m sure it’s causing the leak but I just can’t figure out how to get it out. I have a new extension to replace it. I tried replacing the seal with rtv around the edge of it and still leaksView attachment 230361
Yes, that dent in the seal is the leak. I have never worked with one of those extensions, but I see what your talking about.

If it's loctite'd in there, you may need to warm around it with a small torch and pry it out with a with a tool like a rolling head pry bar, to replace the extension also.