Auxiliary Transmission Coolers

The derale cooler that mounts under the tub will cool better than any cooler mounted in front of the radiator unless the fan is busted, the lines are clogged or the thing is covered in mud. Downgrading the cooler is a strange way to solve a temperature problem. Personally I'd try to fix the fan driven cooler. it's the best thing out there if it's working.

Isn’t that why it has its own fan?
Yes it has a fan which kicks on at 180 but does very little, If I park on a steep grade and its in park the tranny fluid is not circulating which does nothing to help cool the fluid. Also the frame bracket that comes with would provide better air flow but is going to get ripped off on the trails I am running. Its tucked up under my four link close to the bed so crappy air flow.

240 is overheat shift schedule on the 42RLE, something doesn't sound right. With a cooler your pan temperatures shouldn't be that high. Are you sure your lines aren't kinked or blocked?
Lines are not kinked or blocked.
I've run the B&M cooler @MountaineerTom posted in three Jeeps now with great luck. Before I installed the cooler I had transmission temperatures consistently north of 220° when wheeling. After, the highest temperatures I've seen were around 186° on a long slow (4:1) steep hill climb. It is paired with a single pass Derale, for cooling power steering fluid.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70264
View attachment 310082

View attachment 310083

View attachment 310084

View attachment 310085
That looks worth a try, I do not want to get rid of Blaines cooler as my PSC hydro steering setup from him has worked flawlessly and after reading all the testing he has done getting that system dialed. I can modify the mount to accept the B&M pretty easily. Was also looking at the Setrab 14 row he mentioned but its longer and pricey but in the end I just want to keep my 42 cool. Wonder how the flow is on that B&M compared to the Setrab 14?

Reactions: Irun
Consider the Derale transmission cooler I installed, it also has a fan and it doesn't mount in front of the radiator to get in the way of Blaine's power steering cooler. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-transmission-cooler-on-your-wrangler-tj.590/

DSC_5600.JPG

Going to all that trouble I can't imagine why you wouldn't replace the radiator support like the PSC design to keep the cooler close to the condenser. Seems like allot less work just cutting a piece of aluminum. I guess it is a bit more expensive than welding a few pieces to the factory bar?

Consider the Derale transmission cooler I installed, it also has a fan and it doesn't mount in front of the radiator to get in the way of Blaine's power steering cooler. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-transmission-cooler-on-your-wrangler-tj.590/
Hi Jerry, its been years but I have a detailed build thread on Jeep Forum and Pirates on my LJ. I did install the Derale but have not had any luck with it helping on keeping the tranny cool and I don't live where its constantly in the triple digits or climb long steep grades every weekend. You have always been incredibly helpful and I hope you are well during these crazy times.

https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/rusty762s-project-led-sled.1417133/

Lines are not kinked or blocked.

That looks worth a try, I do not want to get rid of Blaines cooler as my PSC hydro steering setup from him has worked flawlessly and after reading all the testing he has done getting that system dialed. I can modify the mount to accept the B&M pretty easily. Was also looking at the Setrab 14 row he mentioned but its longer and pricey but in the end I just want to keep my 42 cool. Wonder how the flow is on that B&M compared to the Setrab 14?
I could have bought the setup he uses, but can't justify the cost difference for my area. My high temperature numbers now, with the B&M cooler, 70264, are well within an acceptable range. I've used it both off-road and on-road, commuting in traffic, and my numbers are very good. In stop and go traffic I might get up to 165°, which is acceptable compared to 200°+ I was seeing before. Is that cooler better, sure it is. Would it give me significantly better results, I can't say.

Hi Jerry, its been years but I have a detailed build thread on Jeep Forum and Pirates on my LJ. I did install the Derale but have not had any luck with it helping on keeping the tranny cool and I don't live where its constantly in the triple digits or climb long steep grades every weekend. You have always been incredibly helpful and I hope you are well during these crazy times.
Thank you and to you too!

With your not having good luck with the Derale, I can only wonder if you inserted it into correct driver's side transmission coolant line from the radiator. 2002 and older it gets inserted into the passenger side coolant line.

Thank you and to you too!

With your not having good luck with the Derale, I can only wonder if you inserted it into correct driver's side transmission coolant line from the radiator. 2002 and older it gets inserted into the passenger side coolant line.

Finally had a chance to drive over to my cousins shop in Clovis and work on the jeep, got the Sertrab tranny cooler mounted below the PSC cooler, waiting for the fittings to arrive. Going to leave the Derale cooler installed since everything is already plumbed in. Jerry I looked at the return line coming from the Derale it is the one in the pic with a Temp bung, I have since welded a bung in the pan.

IMG_7926.jpg

IMG_7928.jpg

5A73B882-FFA2-45CB-B819-12DE476A4232.JPG