Comparison / review: PSC versus Black Magic Brakes bolt-on power steering coolers

Why aren’t you still running a PSC pump?
I kept running into a constant issue of the pump sounding like it was a supercharger above 4,000 RPM. So I gave up and installed a 2500 Vortec pump instead, which seems to have adequate flow for hydro assist, though not ideal.

I kept running into a constant issue of the pump sounding like it was a supercharger above 4,000 RPM. So I gave up and installed a 2500 Vortec pump instead, which seems to have adequate flow for hydro assist, though not ideal.
So you haven’t tried a PSC pump with this cooler?

Im not sure how beneficial the comparison is since it’s not apples to apples on a system most people would install.

Also in order to compare these you should have some temp readings and flow rates at a minimum.

This other cooler likely won’t work with a PSC pump. it’s a huge restriction in the system.

It’s really odd to me that you couldn’t get a PSC system to work.

So you haven’t tried a PSC pump with this cooler?

Im not sure how beneficial the comparison is since it’s not apples to apples on a system most people would install.

Also in order to compare these you should have some temp readings and flow rates at a minimum.

This other cooler likely won’t work with a PSC pump. it’s a huge restriction in the system.

It’s really odd to me that you couldn’t get a PSC system to work.
The pump is a factory application CBR pump similar to what PSC sells, so it is much higher flow than a factory TJ pump. The low RPM steering performance is comparable to the PSC pump, so I suspect the flow rates are similar. Unfortunately I don't have numbers.

I'd be tempted to try this or the 33603 cooler if I try the PSC pump again. I would probably just skip straight to the 33603 since I'd be opening up the system anyways.

The PSC pump was unfortunately a source of frustration that eventually led me to give up on it and go with a Vortec pump instead. I would like better low-RPM performance than I have now, but I currently don't have the time to commit to troubleshooting and fine tuning it.

The pump is a factory application CBR pump similar to what PSC sells, so it is much higher flow than a factory TJ pump. The low RPM steering performance is comparable to the PSC pump, so I suspect the flow rates are similar. Unfortunately I don't have numbers.

I'd be tempted to try this or the 33603 cooler if I try the PSC pump again. I would probably just skip straight to the 33603 since I'd be opening up the system anyways.

The PSC pump was unfortunately a source of frustration that eventually led me to give up on it and go with a Vortec pump instead. I would like better low-RPM performance than I have now, but I currently don't have the time to commit to troubleshooting and fine tuning it.
From the sounds of it you’d smoke a PSC with this cooler.

Can I ask what made you want to take out a functioning cooler to install a cheaper one?
The factory Vortec CBR pump would still make some noise above 4500 RPM, though not quite the supercharger sound that the PSC pumps would make over 4000. I mainly wanted to see if dropping the fluid temperature would have any effect. It seems to have netted an extra ~200 RPM of threshold over the old one. So not significant.

The factory Vortec CBR pump would still make some noise above 4500 RPM, though not quite the supercharger sound that the PSC pumps would make over 4000. I mainly wanted to see if dropping the fluid temperature would have any effect. It seems to have netted an extra ~200 RPM of threshold over the old one. So not significant.
What is making the fluid hot?

What is making the fluid hot?
I would assume mainly the friction within the pump itself, plus within the rest of the system.

The steering lines previously felt hotter. If I had to guess, maybe 130°F, comparing it to an equivalent pipe. I would guess maybe 100°F now. (Again, based on feel and not actual data.) So still not a significant difference.

The last thing I have yet to try is to increase the high pressure line to a -6AN equivalent. I'm still using a stock line, but based on what I've seen this is rarely an issue.

I've also thought about the possibility of an external relief valve set maybe 100 psi below that of the pump. Set that to dump into the cooler so any flow through gets recirculated and cooled while the pump runs at very high RPM. Though I have no idea if this would actually help.

Last edited:
I would assume mainly the friction within the pump itself, plus within the rest of the system.

The steering lines previously felt hotter. If I had to guess, maybe 130°F, comparing it to an equivalent pipe. I would guess maybe 100°F now. (Again, based on feel and not actual data.) So still not a significant difference.

The last thing I have yet to try is to increase the high pressure line to a -6AN equivalent. I'm still using a stock line, but based on what I've seen this is rarely an issue.
Increasing the stock line to larger has never made a difference that I've been able to find. I've discussed that with Tom many times. Two things affect that, the inner line diameter is already far larger than the orifice in the pressure relief and it is too short to matter. I've tested it by building -8 pressure lines with zero effect. Not a fact that displeases me in the least since trying to get the return line past the -8 stuff in the pressure port is a monster pain in the butt.

For anyone following along, 130 is not hot, at all.

Reactions: Steel City 06
This thread is quite timely for me.

I run that PSC dual cooler setup (1 cooler on the tranny side, 1 on the steering) and a PSC CBR pump on the Hemi. The pump drives a PSC hydo assist as well as a ported Vanco hydro boost brake setup. The PSC remote reservoir sits directly over the pump and feeds it with a near vertical -12 hose just a couple inches long. The pressure line is a -6 to the hydro boost, and then -6 down to the PSC steering gear.

The low pressure output from the steering gear is a 90 degree -6 AN fitting to a 3/8" hose which runs to the cooler, and then another 3/8" line back to a -6 AN fitting at the reservoir. There is also a 3/8" low pressure line from the hydroboost to a separate fitting on the reservoir.

Anyone who has seen me wheel knows that this pump sees high RPM.

I installed the pump in May of last year, and it has now started to whine (listen to any of the videos I posted from Moab and you will hear it).

Based on other comments from Blaine, I had thought that I screwed up the initial bleed process, although I had followed PCS's instructions. Based on this belief, I've been in discussion with PSC about replacing or rebuilding that pump. After reading this thread I'm thinking I may have instead smoked the pump with how I have plumbed the system, and the flow capacity of that cooler.

I do like the setup of that dual cooler, and it work's well on the tranny side - I generally do not see temp's there above 170. I do not have a temp gage on the steering side but I've never noticed a lot of heat there.

Since this thread has Blaine's attention, I thought I'd take advantage and seek some advice on what to do.

Could the 3/8" low pressure lines and that 3/8" feed cooler be causing enough flow issue to smoke my pump? If I replaced the current cooler with the 1/2" version referenced above, and replaced the low pressure hoses with -8, would that help? Or am I better off replacing the entire cooling circuit with something like the finned cooler Blaine uses.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: B00mb00m
This thread is quite timely for me.

I run that PSC dual cooler setup (1 cooler on the tranny side, 1 on the steering) and a PSC CBR pump on the Hemi. The pump drives a PSC hydo assist as well as a ported Vanco hydro boost brake setup. The PSC remote reservoir sits directly over the pump and feeds it with a near vertical -12 hose just a couple inches long. The pressure line is a -6 to the hydro boost, and then -6 down to the PSC steering gear.

The low pressure output from the steering gear is a 90 degree -6 AN fitting to a 3/8" hose which runs to the cooler, and then another 3/8" line back to a -6 AN fitting at the reservoir. There is also a 3/8" low pressure line from the hydroboost to a separate fitting on the reservoir.

Anyone who has seen me wheel knows that this pump sees high RPM.

I installed the pump in May of last year, and it has now started to whine (listen to any of the videos I posted from Moab and you will hear it).

Based on other comments from Blaine, I had thought that I screwed up the initial bleed process, although I had followed PCS's instructions. Based on this belief, I've been in discussion with PSC about replacing or rebuilding that pump. After reading this thread I'm thinking I may have instead smoked the pump with how I have plumbed the system, and the flow capacity of that cooler.

I do like the setup of that dual cooler, and it work's well on the tranny side - I generally do not see temp's there above 170. I do not have a temp gage on the steering side but I've never noticed a lot of heat there.

Since this thread has Blaine's attention, I thought I'd take advantage and seek some advice on what to do.

Could the 3/8" low pressure lines and that 3/8" feed cooler be causing enough flow issue to smoke my pump? If I replaced the current cooler with the 1/2" version referenced above, and replaced the low pressure hoses with -8, would that help? Or am I better off replacing the entire cooling circuit with something like the finned cooler Blaine uses.

Thanks in advance.
It is possible you have a restriction issue, I don't know and have no way to tell but we would never under any circumstances run -6 through a hydroboost especially with hydro assist in the circuit. That is one of the few places where -8 pressure lines make a difference. We also always bump up the return out of the hydroboost to -6 to the AUX fitting on the reservoir.

The other thing that is more important here though is you don't have a 42RLE. If you did, those would not be your temps with that cooler. We use a cooler that blows that one out of the water and the 42 is running hotter than that even with the big cooler. The 42 in our neck of the woods runs 230-260 in it's normal configuration. We get those numbers down to 170-180 with the big cooler which has been our most effective so far.

Is the OEM high pressure line the equivalent of a -6AN? I’ve always assumed it was smaller.

Edit: High pressure line

Last edited:
It is possible you have a restriction issue, I don't know and have no way to tell but we would never under any circumstances run -6 through a hydroboost especially with hydro assist in the circuit. That is one of the few places where -8 pressure lines make a difference. We also always bump up the return out of the hydroboost to -6 to the AUX fitting on the reservoir.

The other thing that is more important here though is you don't have a 42RLE. If you did, those would not be your temps with that cooler. We use a cooler that blows that one out of the water and the 42 is running hotter than that even with the big cooler. The 42 in our neck of the woods runs 230-260 in it's normal configuration. We get those numbers down to 170-180 with the big cooler which has been our most effective so far.
Thanks Blaine. So when I get around to addressing this I'll replace both pressure lines and associated fittings with -8. In doing so, I assume it makes sense to replace the low pressure circuit with -8 as well, including the cooler - does that make sense?

The return line from the hydroboost is currently a -6 . That's is how it came from Vanco - so hopefully I'm set there.

Thanks Blaine. So when I get around to addressing this I'll replace both pressure lines and associated fittings with -8. In doing so, I assume it makes sense to replace the low pressure circuit with -8 as well, including the cooler - does that make sense?

The return line from the hydroboost is currently a -6 . That's is how it came from Vanco - so hopefully I'm set there.
We are easily sidetracked.........I now have some plumbing parts on order from BMB as well!!

Got the Derale 33603 cooler in today as a part of the 15405 engine oil cooler kit.
20210604_124511.jpg
20210604_124538.jpg

As expected, the mounting holes on the 33603 pretty much exactly match the PSC cooler. The thickness looks to be shallow enough it should clear the grille with room to spare.

The fittings provided with the kit are 1/2" NPT to 1/2" barb. Looking inside the cooler, I think 5/8" barb would also work and the barb, rather than the cooler main channel, would be the flow restrictor.

I am going to install this one on the passenger side as an engine oil cooler. I'm still debating as to if I prefer to use the provided fittings or convert to AN or JIC fittings for future convenience.

Interestingly, the sandwich adapter that came with the kit is in fact thermostatic, which I did not expect. I actually ordered a separate thermostatic sandwich adapter because I thought the included one was non-thermostatic.

Reactions: MichaelGH
Following this as I currently run the dual PSC cooler setup but do not have assist yet. I plan on the upgrade to the BMB/PSC system within the year.

I was planning to handle my cooler setup like @NashvilleTJ but without the hydroboost, however, with the results shared it looks like I might be scrapping that plan and switching to the -8 heatsink style PS cooler and have to find a different cooler for my trans... FWIW the trans cooler has been working acceptably for me over the past 2 years (however I don't live or wheel in the desert).

Also very interested in the cooler you are trying @Steel City 06 as implementation of that cooler with -8 lines would be much simpler for me (assuming it would work with the PSC pump). Please share your results when you get it installed.

Following this as I currently run the dual PSC cooler setup but do not have assist yet. I plan on the upgrade to the BMB/PSC system within the year.

I was planning to handle my cooler setup like @NashvilleTJ but without the hydroboost, however, with the results shared it looks like I might be scrapping that plan and switching to the -8 heatsink style PS cooler and have to find a different cooler for my trans... FWIW the trans cooler has been working acceptably for me over the past 2 years (however I don't live or wheel in the desert).

Also very interested in the cooler you are trying @Steel City 06 as implementation of that cooler with -8 lines would be much simpler for me (assuming it would work with the PSC pump). Please share your results when you get it installed.
Do you have a picture of your setup now? Inquiring minds want to know!