b00mb00m

Now I want to see if he can solve this Rubik’s Cube 🤣
It is easily solved. Just not without some effort and care. I'd whip out the grinder with a wire wheel, clean the heads, weld nuts to all the heads, heat kills the locktite, nut gives me a handle for the other end. Take me about 6 minutes to get it off or about the same amount of time as it took me to do it.

Reactions: Chris
I tightened the bolts enough so if he tried to sneak in the side with a cut off disc, they are close enough to the flange on the trans pan he has to be deadly accurate or he's gonna cut the pan. The bolts are button head so if he wants to grind away the wood to get vise grips on them, that's a bit of work.

Sharp drill bit and 30 seconds per? Unless you used graded bolts?

Reactions: reddvltj
Nope, they will spin if the bit grabs. They are stainless so they are a bitch to drill. They will eat up several bits if you try to drill them off. Also why I picked stainless.

Well, you're a monster. Won't spin if you put a wrench on the under side though?

You've officially gone from Easter Bunny to Santa Claus. I found a nice piece of steel in my mail too. They sure did turn out nice. Thanks for not goobering up the threads with JB weld, that'd have been a crime. ;)

Well, you're a monster. Won't spin if you put a wrench on the under side though?

You've officially gone from Easter Bunny to Santa Claus. I found a nice piece of steel in my mail too. They sure did turn out nice. Thanks for not goobering up the threads with JB weld, that'd have been a crime. ;)
If the bit grabs and you have a wrench on it, that will suck the nut into the flange on the pan and that won't be good.

Not just any steel. Heat treated 4340 to about Rockwell 52 and drawn back a tad for high springiness and a whole bunch of tough.

Not just any steel. Heat treated 4340 to about Rockwell 52 and drawn back a tad for high springiness and a whole bunch of tough.

My break in oil ended up being back ordered for the roller rockers (and I still haven't heard from our dear friend...) so I'll be shooting it with some paint this weekend and getting it installed.

My break in oil ended up being back ordered for the roller rockers (and I still haven't heard from our dear friend...) so I'll be shooting it with some paint this weekend and getting it installed.
Put the clamps about 1/8" in from the ends.

If the bit grabs and you have a wrench on it, that will suck the nut into the flange on the pan and that won't be good.

Let's see some pics of this high strength steel, what sort of fun stuff are you building? 4340 is what we use on airplanes. Can HT that shit to 300 ksi to the core. Rusts like wildfire though so keep it painted.

Okay you curmudgeon, got it off. I tried multiple things. I used a soldering to dig out the epoxy from the Allen heads and heated up the loctite that worked for all but 2.

I got my flap wheel and was able to flap wheel off the whole head in like 30 seconds per.

Course you probably gave me cancer from breathing burnt Jb weld.

IMG_20200522_203622.jpg

I mean it is a nice bung though. Thanks 😊 it was more fun then just unboxing something. I seriously thought you put British standard thread. Whew.

Okay you curmudgeon, got it off. I tried multiple things. I used a soldering to dig out the epoxy from the Allen heads and heated up the loctite that worked for all but 2.

I got my flap wheel and was able to flap wheel off the whole head in like 30 seconds per.

Course you probably gave me cancer from breathing burnt Jb weld.

View attachment 163830
Is that silver soldered?

Is that silver soldered?
Yes, with high temp black flux and 50% silver solder. I use that for all manner of custom fittings. Flows very well, very strong, works well with dissimilar metals like stainless to steel, not that expensive, and is fast.

I use it for bungs for pans because there is little chance for weld burn through. I use it for high pressure power steering fittings because it is clean and strong.

Reactions: Daryl
I mean it is a nice bung though. Thanks 😊 it was more fun then just unboxing something. I seriously thought you put British standard thread. Whew.
Good job. I might mess with folks but not to the point of rendering something useless. Now, get your gauge installed so you know how much cooler you don't need.

This is priceless!

@mrblaine for what it’s worth, you have a twin brother in Michigan. I used to work with him. He was famous, or infamous, for doing similar things.

He was also as good at his craft as you are at yours so it was hard to get upset with him when you were on the receiving end of his evil genius.

Reactions: B00mb00m
Yes, with high temp black flux and 50% silver solder. I use that for all manner of custom fittings. Flows very well, very strong, works well with dissimilar metals like stainless to steel, not that expensive, and is fast.

I use it for bungs for pans because there is little chance for weld burn through. I use it for high pressure power steering fittings because it is clean and strong.
Thought so. We used that repairing steel hydraulic lines with the o-ring flanges on CAT equipment. Once in awhile if a support clamp broke and wasn’t taken care of soon enough they would crack and leak. Instead of buying an expensive new steel line we would silver solder the flanges back on.