Basket's Build

My radiator fan turns on immediately even though the jeeps been off all night. Is that normal? I thought it was some thermo-clutch kind of thing?

My radiator fan turns on immediately even though the jeeps been off all night. Is that normal? I thought it was some thermo-clutch kind of thing?

The fan clutch is filled with a thick fluid that becomes more viscous as it gets hotter. The fan will always spin with the engine, even when cold. And the fan will always be stiff to spin by hand, even when cold.

The fan just spins increasingly in synch with the engine rpm the hotter the clutch gets.

The fan clutch is filled with a thick fluid that becomes more viscous as it gets hotter. The fan will always spin with the engine, even when cold. And the fan will always be stiff to spin by hand, even when cold.

Okay thanks... So normal. Good to hear lol

Hmmmm up to temp (idling a little high) and the upper rad hose feels completely empty when I squish it. Kinda seems like my thermostat is stuck closed

16827815125104275203802569661807.jpg

Pretty sure this is higher than it should be idling it used to just sit right before 210 at all times

You've got air in there, these bleed like crap without a little hole in the t-stat.
That may not be the whole cause, but it's definitely not helping.

I think the tstat is stuck closed or something. Rad stayed cold and both upper and lower hoses unpressurized, cold, and empty.

I'm gonna run to AutoZone and get a new gasket and tstat I think. I'll make sure to drill a hole in it too

Well I just drove all the way to woodland park and perfect temperatures idk what the heck is going on but I'm gonna replace the tstat anyways

Maybe it bled itself out? Be worth looking to see if the rad is full after it cools all the way down. Fill the overflow while it's still hot so it can pull in what it needs.

Reactions: lBasket
Maybe it bled itself out? Be worth looking to see if the rad is full after it cools all the way down. Fill the overflow while it's still hot so it can pull in what it needs.

Yeah I guess so! Good idea.

Kinda still thinking the thermostat was stuck, maybe higher rpms created higher pressure and popped it open or something? I'm gonna replace it to be safe. I bought extra gaskets in case I need to remove it entirely as a quick fix in the future

Hmm... I vaguely remember zip tying this cable out of the way when I first got this jeep, not knowing where it went.
PXL_20230429_174549466.jpg

If only there was something nearby that was unplugged...

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
My new mopar clutch does this if that helps confirm anything for you. The will roar out of the garage then a bit down the road. It quiets down still within sight of the house.

Wow fuck you hose, really?

View attachment 420613

That sucks! At least that housing is easy to get to!

Reactions: lBasket
My new mopar clutch does this if that helps confirm anything for you. The will roar out of the garage then a bit down the road. It quiets down still within sight of the house.
Thank you!
That sucks! At least that housing is easy to get to!
Yeah pretty dumb lol, the hose is a little long too so I was able to cut it flat and just put it back on luckily!

New tstat and temps are back to where they should be. It looks like it runs a few degrees cooler than it was before, whatever. It's the 195* one so I'm sure it's fine

Looks like my old Tstat lasted only 15k miles. I think it was a Napa house brand.

Thank you!

Yeah pretty dumb lol, the hose is a little long too so I was able to cut it flat and just put it back on luckily!

New tstat and temps are back to where they should be. It looks like it runs a few degrees cooler than it was before, whatever. It's the 195* one so I'm sure it's fine

Looks like my old Tstat lasted only 15k miles. I think it was a Napa house brand.

Glad it's all straight! Mine is running around 195 as well checked with torque app. Needle is just before/in front of the 210 on the gauge. This is after a new heater core, thermocure flush, mopar radiator, clutch, waterpump and thermostat for reference.

Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
Glad it's all straight! Mine is running around 195 as well checked with torque app. Needle is just before/in front of the 210 on the gauge. This is after a new heater core, thermocure flush, mopar radiator, clutch, waterpump and thermostat for reference.

Nice! Yeah, the needle used to be like, a cunt hair before 210 on the gauge. Now it's more like 3 hairs away