Basket's Build

The guys at Tractor Supply told me it would be extremely unsafe to try to flat tow a vehicle much taller than the tow rig. Is this true?

The tow bar is resting on the mounting points in the pic, not in them, so it's maybe 1" or so higher on the jeep side in this pic than it would be when actually mounted.

View attachment 524732

They are correct. You need a stinger that will raise your ball to about the same height as your TJ.

They are correct. You need a stinger that will raise your ball to about the same height as your TJ.

I was asking them about whether it was better to get a receiver adapter like this:

1715039564586.png

Or a ball like this:
1715039580898.png

They said neither would really make it much better. They said it would start to take weight off the rear truck tires / front jeep tires if I had to stop in any kind of hurry.

What do you mean by stinger?

I was asking them about whether it was better to get a receiver adapter like this:

View attachment 524733
Or a ball like this:
View attachment 524734

They said neither would really make it much better. They said it would start to take weight off the rear truck tires / front jeep tires if I had to stop in any kind of hurry.

What do you mean by stinger?

What you have pictured are called stingers or hitches to depend on who you talk with. The second one would be my first choice of the two but IMO I'd measure things and find one that just offers the exact amount of height your are needing.

Like this. But make sure it's rated for the weight your are towing.

1715039905995.png

1715039936707.png

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45342-Forged-Ball-Mount/dp/B00IIOA0C8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

What you have pictured are called stingers or hitches to depend on who you talk with. The second one would be my first choice of the two but IMO I'd measure things and find one that just offers the exact amount of height your are needing.

Like this. But make sure it's rated for the weight your are towing.

View attachment 524735
View attachment 524736
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45342-Forged-Ball-Mount/dp/B00IIOA0C8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So if I use something like this to get the tow bar level, is it still unsafe on braking situations? They were explaining something like since the center of the towing apparatus (readybrake + stinger + towbar basically) will be higher than the truck, when the Jeep pushes against the truck braking, it will want to lift the tires?

So if I use something like this to get the tow bar level, is it still unsafe on braking situations? They were explaining something like since the center of the towing apparatus (readybrake + stinger + towbar basically) will be higher than the truck, when the Jeep pushes against the truck braking, it will want to lift the tires?

That I can't say. I don't see how if you have the weight of your camper back there. I just know that I'd have always been told to have your towbar as level as possible.

I would talk with a actual trailer/tow place. I can't suggest whom off the top of my head.

Reactions: lBasket
That I can't say. I don't see how if you have the weight of your camper back there. I just know that I'd have always been told to have your towbar as level as possible.
Okay yeah, that is what I was trying to accomplish and they said it was unsafe. Does seem like the camper will help... but really I'd like to be able to use it without the camper sometimes too.

I would talk with a actual trailer/tow place. I can't suggest whom off the top of my head.

Yeah that's a good idea. There is a trailer place pretty close to my house, I can swing by there maybe tomorrow.

Another thing I've been thinking about. I spent all this money for this readybrake. The brakes in the Jeep do very very little when the engine is off. Is it normal for people to add electric vacuum pumps or something so the brake booster does something? Not necessarily "worried" about it but was an observation I had.

Reactions: reddvltj
Okay yeah, that is what I was trying to accomplish and they said it was unsafe. Does seem like the camper will help... but really I'd like to be able to use it without the camper sometimes too.

I really don't see how even when unloaded this is the case. But I do know when I used to flat tow my CJ5 with my Waggoner & didn't have brakes on the CJ5 it would push the back around sometimes.

Yeah that's a good idea. There is a trailer place pretty close to my house, I can swing by there maybe tomorrow.

Talking to the "Experts" sometimes is better than...

Another thing I've been thinking about. I spent all this money for this readybrake. The brakes in the Jeep do very very little when the engine is off. Is it normal for people to add electric vacuum pumps or something so the brake booster does something? Not necessarily "worried" about it but was an observation I had.

You have to apply more pressure to get the same affect when you don't have vacuum but your brakes still work. I don't have any experience with the brake setup you have so I don't know.

I really don't see how even when unloaded this is the case. But I do know when I used to flat tow my CJ5 with my Waggoner & didn't have brakes on the CJ5 it would push the back around sometimes.

Talking to the "Experts" sometimes is better than...
I thought that was what all you guys were ;)
You have to apply more pressure to get the same affect when you don't have vacuum but your brakes still work. I don't have any experience with the brake setup you have so I don't know.

Yeah, I mean all I really was thinking about is how much harder it is to stop it when the engine is off down my driveway. The brakes are really just supplemental (realistically it probably wouldn't be TERRIBLE without any brakes except in emergencies) so it's probably ok. Just a thought

I thought that was what all you guys were ;)

I'm an expert FUCK UP if you listen to some...

Yeah, I mean all I really was thinking about is how much harder it is to stop it when the engine is off down my driveway. The brakes are really just supplemental (realistically it probably wouldn't be TERRIBLE without any brakes except in emergencies) so it's probably ok. Just a thought

You actually WANT your tow rig to help slow you down. With a trailer there are times you apply the trailer brakes before your trucks.

I'm an expert FUCK UP if you listen to some...
Gotta learn by doing
You actually WANT your tow rig to help slow you down. With a trailer there are times you apply the trailer brakes before your trucks.
Ah. I guess that makes sense, so it doesn't push you? I only have experience with surge brakes, which is also basically what I will have for the flat tow.

Gotta learn by doing

Ah. I guess that makes sense, so it doesn't push you? I only have experience with surge brakes, which is also basically what I will have for the flat tow.

Yes. You don't want it pushing you. Even with surge brakes the trailer doesn't push you. Surge brakes sucked when trying to back up a steep hill with a heavy load on the trailer.

Yes. You don't want it pushing you. Even with surge brakes the trailer doesn't push you. Surge brakes sucked when trying to back up a steep hill with a heavy load on the trailer.

Ah ok. I don't think I've ever really experienced that.

I didn't really think about backing up a hill lol. I'll have to be careful where I park lol. But you can disconnect the brakes if you really need to.

You want your tow bar to be as close to level as possible, no more than 2' above or below level to ensure everything stays attached, as well as to maintain proper tongue weight.

I had to raise the ball for my setup. If you zoom in, you can see I'm running an adapter much like one of the ones you showed.

This has worked well for me. If you go with this type of setup, I'd suggest also adding a stabilizer bracket to take out any additional wiggle the added connector creates. Can't really see it well, but it's one like what's pictured here.

20231109_130331.jpg
20231109_130355.jpg

Screenshot_20240506_175449_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
Bolt the tow bar points to the bottom of your frame?easy to remove at camp.

And it might just be me but i would be thinking about bracing that hitch extention for your camper back to the frame ends. Like taking some pieces of pipe and hammering the ends flat then bending them to the right angle and drilling them to bolt on

You actually WANT your tow rig to help slow you down. With a trailer there are times you apply the trailer brakes before your tructrucks.
Yep,if at all possible you want the trailer to be braking slightly harder than the truck so long as it has the traction to do so. It will help keep it straight under hard braking

Reactions: Wildman
Bolt the tow bar points to the bottom of your frame?easy to remove at camp.
There is only 1 bolt on the bottom of the bumper unfortunately
And it might just be me but i would be thinking about bracing that hitch extention for your camper back to the frame ends. Like taking some pieces of pipe and hammering the ends flat then bending them to the right angle and drilling them to bolt on

The guys at Tractor Supply told me it would be extremely unsafe to try to flat tow a vehicle much taller than the tow rig. Is this true?

The tow bar is resting on the mounting points in the pic, not in them, so it's maybe 1" or so higher on the jeep side in this pic than it would be when actually mounted.

View attachment 524732

I do nothing,e the extension on the truck. I would also flip a drop hitch to get the tow bar level. The way it is now if you went out a steep driveway it could pop off the ball due to the front of the hitch exceeding the working angle and hitting the ball.

Reactions: lBasket
I do nothing,e the extension on the truck. I would also flip a drop hitch to get the tow bar level. The way it is now if you went out a steep driveway it could pop off the ball due to the front of the hitch exceeding the working angle and hitting the ball.

Yeah, the safety of flipping a drop is really what is in question... I know the towbar needs to be flat but is it safe to raise it that far off the truck to make it happen?

Am I going to be forced to mount them under the bumper for it to be safe?

Yeah, the safety of flipping a drop is really what is in question... I know the towbar needs to be flat but is it safe to raise it that far off the truck to make it happen?

Am I going to be forced to mount them under the bumper for it to be safe?

I think if there is a safe & easy way to mount the towbar under the bumper that is the better option. If there isn't a way to do this then I'd get the correct sized hitch to get the bar as level as possible.

I've never been a big fan of hitch extensions. This is what Super Hitch does with their extensions.

1715048144400.png