Best M/T tires for a rock crawler in 2021

Anyone have any real world experience with Mickey Thompson Baja pro? They seem to be popping up everywhere

Reactions: Tldelaney
4WP has the Maxxis creepy crawlers in stock for $618. I'm not ready to pay that much.

They also have MT Baja MTZ which I've seen a few others still have.

Baja Boss and MOST others are on back order.
I just ordered a set of the MTZ's yesterday from the Temecula store, but in 35's. Got $150 off and 10% on top of that. For $1050 out the door for 5 tires, figured they were worth a shot. I don't to enough hard core crawling, so hopefully they will serve me well.

Reactions: suicideking
Anyone have any real world experience with Mickey Thompson Baja pro? They seem to be popping up everywhere

I've got a set on order but won't be here until Oct or Nov. Shop out in GA had them on sale for $461 for the 38" ones. Link is in my build thread. Not gunna run TSL's for now.

Reactions: kmas0n
I don’t think the Cooper’s are small compared to the MTR, and the difference in actual measurement would be negligible.

The Coopers were a very good ride for me on-road and never let me down off-road in Moab, Hidden Falls, Wolf Caves, Denver Creek, Compressor, or elsewhere. I got about 25,000 miles out of them and still had 10/32’s. Sold 4 for $300. Kept one as a spare. They claim the sidewall has a reinforcement technology. It’s the same as the Mickey Thompson sidewall tech, just a different name. I wanted that bc I was in rocks. Never had a flat, but that’s just my experience.

I had the 35 X 15 for a few years and they seemed bullet proof. Not sure why they seemed so small. I even had a few people ask if they were 33's. Never seen they're 37 X 17, but might try them out if I can find them.

At this point, trying to build a list of 4 or 5 that I will buy if they become available. Top choice from word of mouth would be the Nitto.

So far would also would consider: MTR, Baja Boss.

Sounds like a few have the MT MTZ, but I just haven't heard enough say they would be good in the rocks.

I've also seen the Falken MT is available on Discount Tire Direct if anyone is looking for those.

@bobthetj03 went MT, MT, AT, and next he said he’s going back an MT. Something like that!
I've always run MT's on all my FJ40's and Jeeps, My LJ sees about 90% dd and 10% offroad nowadays. I also go thru a set of MT's about every 1.5 years, my daily commute is a little over 100 miles round trip. I'm considering an AT because they are less prone to cupping and have less drag, so theoretically better gas mileage. I'm still on the fence right now.
I just recently worked on a JK for a customer and he had the Falken Wildpeak AT and they looked pretty impressive.

Reactions: JMT and Irun
I've always run MT's on all my FJ40's and Jeeps, My LJ sees about 90% dd and 10% offroad nowadays. I also go thru a set of MT's about every 1.5 years, my daily commute is a little over 100 miles round trip. I'm considering an AT because they are less prone to cupping and have less drag, so theoretically better gas mileage. I'm still on the fence right now.
I just recently worked on a JK for a customer and he had the Falken Wildpeak AT and they looked pretty impressive.
This past build I went with a set of ATZ P3s, for similar reasons you stated. However, I too considered the Falken A/T3W, which I have on my truck and have grown to appreciate. The only reason I didn't pick them for my TJ was the fact that the ATZ is more of a hybrid tire, with incased spacing between the lugs. It's neither an A/T or M/T tire. Also, my commute is only 21 miles each way. The downside to the ATZ is, like with M/T tires, you have to consistently rotate them. With your commute, I'd definitely be considering the Falken!

Reactions: Wildman
The subject says for rock crawling.
You won't be doing much of that in Florida. When do you plan on moving?
This past build I went with a set of ATZ P3s, for similar reasons you stated. However, I too considered the Falken A/T3W, which I have on my truck and have grown to appreciate. The only reason I didn't pick them for my TJ was the fact that the ATZ is more of a hybrid tire, with incased spacing between the lugs. It's neither an A/T or M/T tire. Also, my commute is only 21 miles each way. The downside to the ATZ is, like with M/T tires, you have to consistently rotate them. With your commute, I'd definitely be considering the Falken!
Prior to my current MTZ P3's I was running the Cooper ST/Maxx which they called a hybrid. Aside from the balancing issues I had with them, they were a good tire. I would consider them again but they discontinued them in a 35.12.5x15.

Reactions: Irun
You won't be doing much of that in Florida. When do you plan on moving?

Prior to my current MTZ P3's I was running the Cooper ST/Maxx which they called a hybrid. Aside from the balancing issues I had with them, they were a good tire. I would consider them again but they discontinued them in a 35.12.5x15.
Seems like we're seeing more and more 15" tires discontinued! :(

• Sad
Which basically forces you to go to a 17" wheel and double the cost for everything.
I went to a 17" wheel years ago on the LJ. However, this was only because a friend of mine sold me a brand new, still in boxes, set of 5 Walker Evans beadlocks for a deal I couldn't refuse. The TJ rides on 15" wheels. But yes, the 17" tires are definitely more expensive!

The videos I've been able to find seem to show it's going to be a good tire but we all know how that can work out. But I've taken a chance on tires before and lucked out so I'm hoping my luck holds with these too.
Back in 2005 I bought some of the newly released Toyo M/T's in a 35x13.5x15 for my 4 cyl TJ. The local tire store (Les Schwab) where I got them from told me I was the first in WA that had bought some.
Went on a snow run later that spring and blew everyone away with how well my Jeep did in the snow. I ended up breaking trail and leading most of the day because everyone else was having so many issues. I ran those Toyo's until 2008 when I went to the TSL SX tires. It should be very interesting to see how these tires do but I like the look of the tread design.

What size are you thinking on getting?

Reactions: Irun and JMT
Likely 38's. There is no way that tire will be street friendly or acceptable, but it looks like off road traction will be very high. Its nearly a tractor tire.

Likely 38's. There is no way that tire will be street friendly or acceptable, but it looks like off road traction will be very high. Its nearly a tractor tire.

OK and yep I agree on street manners. Mine is 85% trailer queen and drive to the trail from the campground with an occasional drive on a Sunday.

Like I said earlier that shop in GA had the best prices I'd found for the 38" tires so I went and jumped on it. I don't need the tires ASAP so I wasn't worried about the wait. If you can wait give him a shout.

OOPS.... Dang Nab it looks like the sale is over with. Price is back up to $495. Might call him and see if he'd give you the sale price. I got the 4 tires for $1844.

https://skinny-pedal-racing.myshopi...13-50-17lt-tire-baja-pro-xs-41783-90000037616

Reactions: kmas0n
Yes, John and Gerald kicked everyone's ass on them.
Yeah I remember they were running them at least one of the times I was at hammers. A friend of a friend has had them for a bit on a strictly off-road rig and they seem to be working well for him, fairly rough looking now but not any huge chunks missing.

Was hoping someone might have some experience with mileage and on road experience with them too. I really considered getting them for my recent set, but for just a bit more money, it was hard not to go with another set of Duratracs since I got 80k miles out of the first set. Doesn't seem to be much interest in them on here though

Yeah I remember they were running them at least one of the times I was at hammers. A friend of a friend has had them for a bit on a strictly off-road rig and they seem to be working well for him, fairly rough looking now but not any huge chunks missing.

Was hoping someone might have some experience with mileage and on road experience with them too. I really considered getting them for my recent set, but for just a bit more money, it was hard not to go with another set of Duratracs since I got 80k miles out of the first set. Doesn't seem to be much interest in them on here though
You notice I didn't say they were a great tire.

Duratracs were almost the only tire mentioned on here during 2017-2018. @Chris loved them. I think probably half the forum got a set at one time.

Those were also the days on here when the only build touted as necessary was 2" OME and 31's. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Chris and Wildman
Duratracs were almost the only tire mentioned on here during 2017-2018. @Chris loved them.
That right there is why I don't recommend any tire. Good friend needed to get the 37's off of his TJ Unlimited and go back to 35's. I told him while I had no personal experience with the Duratrac, for his mild wheeling and lots of street time, I had not found anyone with anything bad to say about them and in fact most raved.

A month later he calls me and he is spitting pissed off. You forgot to mention these are the loudest pieces of shit ever to wrap a rim.

I told him that I know him and I knew that after it was discovered they make lots of noise that the first thing he did was hop on the internet and see who else had the problem.
Yeah, so?
Well, did you find anyone complaining about or even noting that?
No.
Well asshole, neither did I.

Reactions: Rick Flair