Best M/T tires for a rock crawler in 2021

Duratracs were almost the only tire mentioned on here during 2017-2018. @Chris loved them. I think probably half the forum got a set at one time.

Those were also the days on here when the only build touted as necessary was 2" OME and 31's. LOL
Yeah I know, meant there doesn't seem to be much interest in the Falken Wildpeak MT

Reactions: JMT
They are okay, that's it. I wouldn't run a free set where it matters. For the street and mild wheeling, sure.
Gotcha. They seemed like a similar tread pattern to the Nittos, but maybe a bit better wet weather performance.

Duratracs have been hard to beat for me, but my grandpa that lives 30 miles away had a set of 31's on a stock TJ that went bald in about 25k miles, so I figure it's kind of a crapshoot anyways

That right there is why I don't recommend any tire. Good friend needed to get the 37's off of his TJ Unlimited and go back to 35's. I told him while I had no personal experience with the Duratrac, for his mild wheeling and lots of street time, I had not found anyone with anything bad to say about them and in fact most raved.

A month later he calls me and he is spitting pissed off. You forgot to mention these are the loudest pieces of shit ever to wrap a rim.

I told him that I know him and I knew that after it was discovered they make lots of noise that the first thing he did was hop on the internet and see who else had the problem.
Yeah, so?
Well, did you find anyone complaining about or even noting that?
No.
Well asshole, neither did I.
I refer to them as Duratrash. We get so many complaints about road noise and vibrations on the GM trucks all the time.

Customers buy the Colorado's and Silverado's with the OffRoad package because it looks cool. They are back at the dealership within about 1k miles complaining about them.

Size Needed: 37 X 12.5 X 17

I'm going to need tires soon and nothing is available. I probably have 6 months to a year so don't want to wait until I have a flat and am forced to buy somehting I don't want. I'm looking for a tire that is best for rock crawling on a rig that drives to and from the trail, not a DD.

I've had mostly GY MTR. No complaints on the trail, but many complain about balancing issues. They also seem to wear out fast.

I'm looking for a list of 5+ acceptable tires considering they're so hard to find right now. I see some MT Baja MTZ available right now. Any opinions on those? They're the only MT in stock right now that I can find.

Baja Boss - Also an option?

Others I've considered:

Nitto Trail Grappler - I've heard good things about these other than they are heavy. I've heard they wear well and last a long time.

Super Swamper - Which one would be best

Cooper STT Pro - I had these in a 35 and they were good, but looked small compared to the MTR

BFG Krawler - I've heard these are great, but super expensive
KM3 - Don't know much about this one. I know the KM2 sucked with weak side wall and ran really small.
A trailer may be cheaper than a set of tires today. Consider some stickies and trailer it.

I refer to them as Duratrash. We get so many complaints about road noise and vibrations on the GM trucks all the time.

Customers buy the Colorado's and Silverado's with the OffRoad package because it looks cool. They are back at the dealership within about 1k miles complaining about them.

Dang and I was looking at them for my Ram. Guess not.

Gotcha. They seemed like a similar tread pattern to the Nittos, but maybe a bit better wet weather performance.

Duratracs have been hard to beat for me, but my grandpa that lives 30 miles away had a set of 31's on a stock TJ that went bald in about 25k miles, so I figure it's kind of a crapshoot anyways
I have duratracs on my F150, 21k and they are pretty worn. I missed one rotation and the noise never went away.

Reactions: Wildman
A trailer may be cheaper than a set of tires today. Consider some stickies and trailer it.
The problem with that is the trailer is now mandatory. I know someone who flat towed a rig with a brand new set of BFG Reds to JV and back. 300 mile round trip took off 1/2 the tread. They are not even a hop in and bop down to the store tire.

Reactions: WSS and AMS417
Yeah I know, meant there doesn't seem to be much interest in the Falken Wildpeak MT
I have a set of the Falken Wildpeak AT’s on a GMC Yukon. About 8,000 miles into them. So far I like that tire. It may speak of the quality of the MT.

I have a set of the Falken Wildpeak AT’s on a GMC Yukon. About 8,000 miles into them. So far I like that tire. It may speak of the quality of the MT.

I've heard nothing but good things about their AT. Though that doesn't mean the MT can handle rocks + don't know if the sidewall is any good.

I did see a set available though.

I've heard nothing but good things about their AT. Though that doesn't mean the MT can handle rocks + don't know if the sidewall is any good.
The sidewall is hugely important to me too. I've seen some sidewalls that were unbelievably thin for a supposedly offroad tire, ProComp tires are notorious for paper-thin sidewalls. No matter how perfect the tread looks my first concern is how tough the sidewall is.

Reactions: suicideking
I own a jeep rental business and burn through a lot of tires. Over the years I've tried lots of different brands. Most of them are comparable. They really don't shine good or bad with a few notable exceptions.

BFG A/T- Not a mud tire, but fantastic street manners, very quiet, they balance nicely too.... horrible tire for what I use them for. Rocks chew them apart. I was having them chunk at 4-5k miles. There was plenty of tread left where it had not chunked. Ruined tire in 4-5k miles. I would actually recommend for a weekend warrior, but not heavy off road use.
IMG_20200707_082033.jpg

Most tires I can get about 10k miles out of before they get chewed up. Even off-brand like Hercules.

The "horrible" Patagonia's do fine and fall into the 10k range.

The winner so far... hands down Falken Wildpeak M/T. I've got some well over 15k miles and still going strong. They are lasting the longest by a considerable margin. Sidewalls seem tough enough. Only lost one to a sidewall rip when a broken sway bar link tore it out.

This info is only based on longevity and toughness in a commercial setting, not on performance. The entire fleet now sits on Falkens so I guess the experiment is over. My own personal Gladiator sits on Baja Boss M/Ts and so far I love them, but only time will tell.

I own a jeep rental business and burn through a lot of tires. Over the years I've tried lots of different brands. Most of them are comparable. They really don't shine good or bad with a few notable exceptions.

BFG A/T- Not a mud tire, but fantastic street manners, very quiet, they balance nicely too.... horrible tire for what I use them for. Rocks chew them apart. I was having them chunk at 4-5k miles. There was plenty of tread left where it had not chunked. Ruined tire in 4-5k miles. I would actually recommend for a weekend warrior, but not heavy off road use.
View attachment 276903

Most tires I can get about 10k miles out of before they get chewed up. Even off-brand like Hercules.

The "horrible" Patagonia's do fine and fall into the 10k range.

The winner so far... hands down Falken Wildpeak M/T. I've got some well over 15k miles and still going strong. They are lasting the longest by a considerable margin. Sidewalls seem tough enough. Only lost one to a sidewall rip when a broken sway bar link tore it out.

This info is only based on longevity and toughness in a commercial setting, not on performance. The entire fleet now sits on Falkens so I guess the experiment is over. My own personal Gladiator sits on Baja Boss M/Ts and so far I love them, but only time will tell.
When I was shopping for new MTs recently I always interpreted long lasting tires as being too hard for rock crawling. I know you mentioned this also. For a non fleet you basically want the softest treads that are just hard to enough survive regular road use.

I also ended on Baja Bosses. They seem to be doing the job I ask of them 3 times a week road duty and at least one hard wheeling day a month. No chunking so far but I don't think PNW terrain causes a lot of chunks. My Patagonia had minimal chunking as well.

Reactions: kmas0n

I really liked my duratracs. I thought they were quiet, absolutely amazing in snow/ice, and handled the CO rocks easily. I think I swapped them out at 45k, but given the amount of wheeling I did with them, wasn't upset.

Reactions: Tob and JMT
When I was shopping for new MTs recently I always interpreted long lasting tires as being too hard for rock crawling. I know you mentioned this also. For a non fleet you basically want the softest treads that are just hard to enough survive regular road use.

I also ended on Baja Bosses. They seem to be doing the job I ask of them 3 times a week road duty and at least one hard wheeling day a month. No chunking so far but I don't think PNW terrain causes a lot of chunks. My Patagonia had minimal chunking as well.

My Toyo M/T's had chunks but they were also sipped pretty deep. It was around that time that Les Schwab started to only go about 1/3 into the tread so they wouldn't chunk as bad.

Reactions: B00mb00m
Well on a Jeep I'm not sure that is saying much. Turn up that high end stereo....

If on my Harley I'd crank the throttle a little more...
I usually wear ear plugs when I am in the Jeep or riding. That cuts out most of the noise.

• Haha