Best Wrangler TJ years?

Matt31ny

Hey I’m currently really thinking about getting a tj. I would like a sport out of any of them and has to be manual and really want a yellow one as it’s my favorite color. I really like the 01-02 I think for the fact of the interior I love those fancy triangle seats. I’m not sure if anyone knows if they could be purchased new anywhere and put in a different year? I don’t want that to be a deciding factor of which year to get. I’m currently deployed for a couple more months so I’m not in a rush at the moment. Trying to get the most amount of information as possible. This will be a daily driven car but I would like a really clean one with under 80k miles really even lower then that if possible. Thank you for any kind of info I can get!

Hey I’m currently really thinking about getting a tj. I would like a sport out of any of them and has to be manual and really want a yellow one as it’s my favorite color. I really like the 01-02 I think for the fact of the interior I love those fancy triangle seats. I’m not sure if anyone knows if they could be purchased new anywhere and put in a different year? I don’t want that to be a deciding factor of which year to get. I’m currently deployed for a couple more months so I’m not in a rush at the moment. Trying to get the most amount of information as possible. This will be a daily driven car but I would like a really clean one with under 80k miles really even lower then that if possible. Thank you for any kind of info I can get!

I just bought a 2004 TJ Sport that had a clean CARFAX report and service history. I would highly recommend the CARFAX report so you can see if the vehicle was maintained well. Here is a good link describing the various model years to help with your selection. Thank you for your service.>>http://amp.timeinc.net/thedrive/vin...sic-jeep-the-complete-buyers-guide?source=dam

Reactions: Sam Solo
I just bought a 2004 TJ Sport that had a clean CARFAX report and service history. I would highly recommend the CARFAX report so you can see if the vehicle was maintained well. Here is a good link describing the various model years to help with your selection. Thank you for your service.>>http://amp.timeinc.net/thedrive/vin...sic-jeep-the-complete-buyers-guide?source=dam
Thanks for the link! But do you know anything about common problems between different years of the tj like I know the 05-06 have the 6 speed is there more problems with one over the other? Or any other things wether big or small?

Thanks for the link! But do you know anything about common problems between different years of the tj like I know the 05-06 have the 6 speed is there more problems with one over the other? Or any other things wether big or small?

I have wondered the same myself and do not have the answer. Perhaps the more knowledgeable can help. Mine is the 5 speed NV3500 trans..

Reactions: Matt31ny
20180903_094914.jpg

2004. TJ
Look for one that has never been up north. I spent months looking for a nice one and every one that came from up north had rusted frames. Then I found one from South Georgia, one owner and probably never left the state. Less than 100,000miles.
I only wanted the 4.0 so I didnt look for any jeep newer than 2006.
Good luck when you start searching. 11b.

I just bought an 02 earlier this winter & have been enjoying going thru the mechanicals, adding a few mods, driving it to work occasionally & taking it out wheelin on the weekends.
I couldn't cover up those plaid seats soon enough. I guess it's just taste. They are in good shape, just dated IMO. A new set of tweed seat covers from Caltrends.com will protect them for a long time to come.
Overall it seems to be in descent shape, although the previous owner has replaced the rear diff, gears & transfer case in it's 115k mile life. And it lived it's entire life between Washington & Colorado so not a lick of rust underneath.
Good luck with your search. Enjoy it & keep us informed how it goes.

47450406482_c86518957c_o.jpg

This
Just about all you'll need to know and look for. Good luck in your search, do not limit yourself to low miles only Jeeps.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-should-i-look-for-when-buying-a-used-wrangler-tj.375/
This is awesome!! I have a s197 mustang and I’ve been on the s197 forums and none have given me this much detail!! I really appreciate that a lot! But any word on those seats as far as anyone knows? I don’t want seat covers but I really would like those 01-02 seats I’ll post a pic if anyone knows and there’s 2 I’m currently looking at that one looks super clean and I’m not sure if I should commit to it or wait longer till I get closer to coming home? I have about 2-3 months left and I really don’t want to not have a vehicle at all. But I’ve never driven or even drove in a wrangler but they just seem like they last and a fun project and as close to a truck as I can get.

This

This is awesome!! I have a s197 mustang and I’ve been on the s197 forums and none have given me this much detail!! I really appreciate that a lot! But any word on those seats as far as anyone knows? I don’t want seat covers but I really would like those 01-02 seats I’ll post a pic if anyone knows and there’s 2 I’m currently looking at that one looks super clean and I’m not sure if I should commit to it or wait longer till I get closer to coming home? I have about 2-3 months left and I really don’t want to not have a vehicle at all. But I’ve never driven or even drove in a wrangler but they just seem like they last and a fun project and as close to a truck as I can get.
Are you having someone inpect it for you? Dont go by someones word or pics alone. Especially dealers.

Are you having someone inpect it for you? Dont go by someones word or pics alone. Especially dealers.
Yes I’d def need someone to. That’s the one thing that gets me like I don’t know. I’d hate to give up a good deal if one comes by and not rush when I get back to find something I’d rather have something waiting for me if I could. But I also don’t want a headache. With having one would you say it would get annoying driving everyday and commuting? The gas problem doesn’t really bother me too much since I’d rather pay for gas rather then a car payment.

The TJs are actually comfortable to drive and ride in....well mine is....it has a 1.75 inch lift ...comfortable h&r german coils and bilstein shocks. Nice comfomfortable ride.
I dynamatted the interior to keep noise to a minimum. New exhaust from cats to the tail with oem quiet muffler.
Its not my dd but i can drive it all weekend long to the beach, mountains etc and not be completely worn out.
Its quite capable with a winch/synthetic and locked front and back.

Lol @ the seat pattern requirement. Gotta love the simple things in life.

I am pretty sure the seats are interchangeable, so if you do find a solid tj that is off year.. maybe you can source the seats from a yard or someone parting out his jeep.

Regarding your question... that is a can of worms, and leads to a lot of different opinions.

My advice, find a rust free, well maintained TJ at a decent price. Get as close to stock as possible.

Each year tj has had their own quirks.. some more serious than others... but all in all... the bark is worse than the bite.

I'd be happy with any '97 to '04 TJ. I especially like 98-02 since you can get them with the awesome 32RH automatic transmission which is nearly bulletproof and great for harder trails.

Reactions: MikeO
Lol @ the seat pattern requirement. Gotta love the simple things in life.

I am pretty sure the seats are interchangeable, so if you do find a solid tj that is off year.. maybe you can source the seats from a yard or someone parting out his jeep.

Regarding your question... that is a can of worms, and leads to a lot of different opinions.

My advice, find a rust free, well maintained TJ at a decent price. Get as close to stock as possible.

Each year tj has had their own quirks.. some more serious than others... but all in all... the bark is worse than the bite.
That’s something I’m def looking for I want to do my own build. Also def want one rust free which is making me really look at that 06 I posted a link to. It’s honestly the cleanest one I have found and I have been searching everyday now for like 2 months on all the car websites. But it seems to be a little over priced and it seems more people at least on YouTube I’m seeing a lot more of the 5 speed over the 6 which got me thinking is there something wrong with having the 6?

00 and 01 models have the 0331 head, which is prone to cracking. Most don't, but enough do that it's a known problem. Didn't stop me from buying my 2000 5-speed Sahara, which had my favorite color scheme of any TJ—green with tan interior—but I monitor my coolant like a hawk. I can get a TUPY head for $450, so not too concerned. Other years have their problems, too, from cracking exhaust manifolds on 97-99, OPDA on 05 and 06, potentially overblown PCM problems on auto 05 and 06s. Generally, if you want a manual, avoid the 6-speed on the 05 and 06; it's a total dog. The 3-speed auto before 2003 is probably the best transmission, but the 4-speed is serviceable as long as you keep it cool.

00 and 01 models have the 0331 head, which is prone to cracking. Most don't, but enough do that it's a known problem. Didn't stop me from buying my 2000 5-speed Sahara, which had my favorite color scheme of any TJ—green with tan interior—but I monitor my coolant like a hawk. I can get a TUPY head for $450, so not too concerned. Other years have their problems, too, from cracking exhaust manifolds on 97-99, OPDA on 05 and 06, potentially overblown PCM problems on auto 05 and 06s. Generally, if you want a manual, avoid the 6-speed on the 05 and 06; it's a total dog. The 3-speed auto before 2003 is probably the best transmission, but the 4-speed is serviceable as long as you keep it cool.
Why do you say avoid the 6 speed?

Why do you say avoid the 6 speed?

The 6-speed is widely considered to be inferior to both 5-speeds. Many of them jump out of gear among other major issues. There are plenty of threads about the 6-speed from people more knowledgeable than me, but you won't find any love for the 6-speed here or anywhere else.