Bigger than 1" MML for Savvy TT

SkylinesSuck

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I have currie 3" springs that are netting me closer to 4" lift in the back I think, Savvy tummy tuck, 1" MML, and a 1.25" BL. Also an 8.8 which adds to the angle a bit. After getting the TT installed I granaded my rear driveshaft likely due to mechanical interference at the double cardan joint. Too much angle. Had a local DS shop basically build me a new driveshaft and they grinded on the double cardan joint for extra clearance. After flexing it a little yesterday, I think I can see where it still tickles itself, so either more clearance or less angle is needed. Also I'll mention the double cardan part of the DS gets too hot to comfortably touch after driving 5-10 miles.

I was considering a 1.5" or 2" MML to straighten things out a bit. Thoughts? I have an E-fan btw so not concerned about that aspect.

I'm not sure where your clearances are, but I'd certainly keep an eye on the exhaust. As you move the engine up, you'll be moving the exhaust system angle up as well. I know that with the 1" MML my exhaust pipes and muffler are very close to the floor. Also, clearances at the firewall are starting to get tight as well. That said, it's best to take a look at everything that will be moved up, should you go to a larger MML.

Good point, didn't really think about the exhaust. I already have to go back and have it tweaked even more 😒 The lip on the firewall where it transitions into the trans tunnel was the spot I checked for clearance already. Since the front of the motor is supposedly what's being measured for the amount of lift, it should be less at the back of the motor, and I have 1.25" clearance there, so I think I'm good at that spot. I just saw your band clamp work on the exhaust and that is giving me ideas.

I wonder though how much angle I would actually get out of it, and if there are any other issues I'm not thinking of like shifter placement (MANual transmission) or overall strength. Maybe lower springs in the rear? I haven't thrown away my OME's yet.