Bought a 2004 Rubicon yesterday. Joined the forum today.

Anoka Jeep

Greetings! It's been a number of years since I've been active on an auto forum but since the information from this group (through non-member searching) has been so helpful prior to my purchase I thought it would be good to sign up to collect some qualified feedback.

Yesterday I picked up a rust free (I'm in MN, the Jeep is from TX) tan Rubicon with 90k miles and appears to be in great mechanical (original) condition. I'm passing my current Jeep Liberty on to my middle daughter to drive so the TJ will become my daily driver. I have 2 months to knock out some initial projects that include a lift, different wheels / tires combo, stereo upgrade and some ancillary items.

I've been doing some searching on these items in the forum so far and have most of what I was hoping to find. The one item that I am seeking some advice on relates to rust prevention. As of today, this Jeep has zero (and I really got up an into it underneath today) rust. Now I live in MN and have a heated garage (and an unlimited carwash that I use almost daily) but still, I feel I need to do something to protect this to the best of my ability.

Thoughts on undercoating (argh), hosing it down in Fluid Film, etc??? Any areas in particular I should focus on? This is my first TJ so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

New Jeep.jpg

Greetings! It's been a number of years since I've been active on an auto forum but since the information from this group (through non-member searching) has been so helpful prior to my purchase I thought it would be good to sign up to collect some qualified feedback.

Yesterday I picked up a rust free (I'm in MN, the Jeep is from TX) tan Rubicon with 90k miles and appears to be in great mechanical (original) condition. I'm passing my current Jeep Liberty on to my middle daughter to drive so the TJ will become my daily driver. I have 2 months to knock out some initial projects that include a lift, different wheels / tires combo, stereo upgrade and some ancillary items.

I've been doing some searching on these items in the forum so far and have most of what I was hoping to find. The one item that I am seeking some advice on relates to rust prevention. As of today, this Jeep has zero (and I really got up an into it underneath today) rust. Now I live in MN and have a heated garage (and an unlimited carwash that I use almost daily) but still, I feel I need to do something to protect this to the best of my ability.

Thoughts on undercoating (argh), hosing it down in Fluid Film, etc??? Any areas in particular I should focus on? This is my first TJ so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

View attachment 480989

Don't undercoat it.

Thanks!

View attachment 480989

Nice looking Rubicon!!!!

I don't live in a rust prone area, but I think most folks on here that do really love fluid film.

Welcome to the best TJ place on the web!!!

Thanks for the initial feedback. I've scraped and removed enough undercoating over the years to be pretty adverse to it. With that said, I think I need to spray something up on the inside of the body panels. I'll probably just do the fluid film thing.

Thanks for the initial feedback. I've scraped and removed enough undercoating over the years to be pretty adverse to it. With that said, I think I need to spray something up on the inside of the body panels. I'll probably just do the fluid film thing.

check out surface shield and welcome to the forum !

Reactions: TheBoogieman

Thanks!

View attachment 480989

I would spray the interior of the frame with Fluid Film. Use a hose that connects to the tip and sprays in a pattern inside. It will be messy, but worth it. The inside of the frame are where these little guys rust out and it becomes cancerous before you know it. Spray anywhere else too. It won't hurt. It will help

I would also drill two drain holes in the center section between the lower control arm mounts at the frame. I would place them about 2" from the control arm brackets. That is where water will sit, and if there is salt or chemical in it the whole thing will just start to rot. I would make these holes about 5/8" large.

Congratulations on a rust free TJ! Smart to have bought it in TX! Welcome to the forum.

Not in a rust area, but the body seems well coated from the factory.

The frame however, seems to have been painted with watered down paint. My 06 frame has more patina than my 92. Crazy.

JMT, that was really helpful information and I'll plan on drilling the weep holes along with the abundant fluid film application.

Reactions: JMT

You lived in Kali and FL too long . :p when you undercoat your Jeep / car / truck , it doesn't take too long before a nick , application flaw , off road drag mark
allows salt brine , water , Mag chloride to get under the undercoating. Once in there it is trapped , never drying out rotting out your frame while looking just fine .

If I remember correctly MN has the shortest time for a vehicle to become an antique. It would be a shame to start driving an antique in the snowy slush!

Ha, yeah it's probably too nice for a daily driver but YOLO. I pass my carwash on the short drive back from the office each day and the membership is cheap so it'll get sprayed down almost daily.

The wife is on board for me to do the 2" lift and wheels / tires right away. Is it too soon as a poster to get some feedback?

I would also drill two drain holes in the center section between the lower control arm mounts at the frame. I would place them about 2" from the control arm brackets. That is where water will sit, and if there is salt or chemical in it the whole thing will just start to rot. I would make these holes about 5/8" large.

Can you post a photo of this specific drill spot? I just can't visualize what you are saying.

Reactions: RINC