Budget TJ

Randy_K

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have been a Jeep owner a few months and have started to do some upgrades. I bought a 2004 Jeep TJ fairly cheep for our area. As a welder by trade I am planning on doing as much work as I can myself and with help from friends and forums. Comments of what I do right and what I do wrong are appreciated.
18491369_10154340875112251_37541763150453801_o.jpg

Nice rig. What size tires are you running?
Thanks. Lots to learn and lots to do. Tires are 31" The thing is hard to keep on the road . Handles like crap. Tires are real bad I think. Winter snows are coming soon.

What kind of issues are you having?

It pulls all over the road , feels scary at 60 MPH. I am a new jeep owner though and my other vehicle is a 4 door Ford F150 , about twice the wheel base. I am putting on winter tires in a few weeks so I will see if it changes.

It pulls all over the road , feels scary at 60 MPH. I am a new jeep owner though and my other vehicle is a 4 door Ford F150 , about twice the wheel base. I am putting on winter tires in a few weeks so I will see if it changes.
Yeah, it should feel very stable at that speed. Stock height with 31's and now 3" lift and 33's I can drive hwy speed with my hands off the wheel with no issues.

Do a dry steering test to make sure nothing is worn out.

Yeah, it should feel very stable at that speed. Stock height with 31's and now 3" lift and 33's I can drive hwy speed with my hands off the wheel with no issues.

Do a dry steering test to make sure nothing is worn out.

I have a fall colour run in a few weeks. After that I am putting on new snows and having a alinement done . Over the winter I will have it in and out of my garage doing some more mods to it. < tummy tuck >

Reactions: derekmac
I just ordered the second part for my " tummy tuck " I have already done a body lift. After doing my second Jeep club run I realized the need . I actually found this forum when doing a search on " tummy tuck "

oilpanbash.jpg
oilskid.jpg

Thanks. Lots to learn and lots to do. Tires are 31" The thing is hard to keep on the road . Handles like crap. Tires are real bad I think. Winter snows are coming soon.
Try checking the toe in before spending money on an alignment. The only thing that is usually adjustable on a TJ is the toe in. Here's a good write-up on how to do it. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-align-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.85/ The two most common causes for a TJ being "squirrelly" on the road are way under inflated or over inflated tires and improper toe in. Try running about 26-28 psi in your tires and check to make sure that the toe in is 1/16 - 1/8". Cheap and easy do it yourself fixes.

Nice looking TJ!

I like the way your TJ is shaping up and that your getting stuck into it right away. The bedliner is a good idea and those bumpers and rock guards look great. Having your welding and metal work skills will save you plenty of money and make your Jeep 'yours' (if you know what I mean) which is definitely a good thing.
Cant find or afford what you after.. just make it yourself :thumbsup:

Reactions: JMT
Well my parts are in to replace my oil pan. I have started taking off the exhaust bolts, 3 of the 4 came off ok. Not sure what to do with the 4th one, head is rounded off. I'm not sure what all has to come off but I'm hoping not too much. My muffler is in bad shape and I would rather not distereb it yet.

On a side note , my wife thought she would look under the jeep at what I was swearing at. Should have heard her yell when her long hair got wrapped in the creeper wheels :)
22712250_10154750602562251_6079302104763919808_o.jpg
22712273_10154752035717251_7227371356835902953_o.jpg