Building a diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler (Picture Heavy)

I see a lot of TJ’s 4 cyl manual trans high mileage for sale around here for 5 to 8000 dollar range, diesel motor swap for 5k gets you just over 10k For a 25+ mpg Jeep WIN WIN. Long live the tj

Exactly!!! I bought my Wrangler from the original owner with a 190K for $5500. I thought it was a steal for a 2006 TJ with working everything! I really wish I could find a set of Impact Orange half doors for my Wrangler though!

-Grant

I was doubtful as well, but I'm going off past builds that Ken at KubotaSwappers has done and helped other people with. Since the rest of my Wrangler is stock and not lifted he thinks we can get into the low to mid 30s, but honestly, even if I only double my current MPG which would get me to 28 mpg that would me a massive win as well!
Been doing a bit of reading and the goals seem very reachable. Nice...

Just imagine... 30 MPG from a Wrangler... sounds like something out of a dream.

Yeah honestly that is the goal and the dream! Another mod a long way down the line is to install the aluminum 25 gallon tank from GenRight, imagine having 25 gallons of diesel and a range of around 800ish miles!

-Grant

Yeah honestly that is the goal and the dream! Another mod a long way down the line is to install the aluminum 25 gallon tank from GenRight, imagine having 25 gallons of diesel and a range of around 800ish miles!

-Grant

That would be cool! I have the 19.5 gallon GenRight tank and that thing is amazing. Only reason I didn't go with the 25 gallon one is due to the fact that it hangs lower. But still, that would be very cool for your build!

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
That would be cool! I have the 19.5 gallon GenRight tank and that thing is amazing. Only reason I didn't go with the 25 gallon one is due to the fact that it hangs lower. But still, that would be very cool for your build!

Yeah I really am thinking about making this Wrangler more of an all-around Overlanding Wrangler than a serious off-roader. If I were to do a serious offroading Wrangler, I would get a Rubicon LJ and go to ton's but still have the diesel engine swapped in as well!!

Yeah I really am thinking about making this Wrangler more of an all-around Overlanding Wrangler than a serious off-roader. If I were to do a serious offroading Wrangler, I would get a Rubicon LJ and go to ton's but still have the diesel engine swapped in as well!!

I hear you on that. I started out on the overlanding path, but somehow it’s moprhed into a serious off-road build!

Hey TJers,

I got another video up! I'm still trying to learn this videography stuff as well as the video editing but I'm getting quicker and should have another episode up in another few days!

In this video I decided to go over all the gauges that I will be using in my TJ Wrangler for the this Kubota V2403 Diesel Swap. I had considered keeping the stock gauges but I go over why I decided to replace all the gauges and why I went with digital gauges instead of analog gauges as well!

Thanks
Grant

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac and Chris
Hey TJers,

I've officially started disassembling the TJ! Here's the next video I posted on Youtube today! I'm actually working on getting the engine, transmission and transfer case out of the Wrangler today and hope to have that video posted in the next few days!

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: derekmac
Awesome project. I've always wanted to do an oil burner but couldn't really find a good engine to start with that met my goals.

Thank you! That has been my hold up for years honestly. I never find the right diesel for my needs/cost!

Looks like it's coming along nicely. I can't wait to hear this thing run and get your initial impressions of it.

Thank you Chris! At this point I'm more worried about the moment about controlling the transmission with my Microsquirt setup than the engine!!!

If the motor mounts go on like I think they should, then the majority of the rest of this build is going to be purely figuring out all the wiring for the transmission and inside gauges!

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: Chris
Completely forgot to post this as well! I did a Project overview video where I talk about all the other options out there for diesel swaps and why I went with the Kubota V2403!

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: derekmac and Chris
Hey TJers,

I got more work done on my V2403 Kubota swap last night:

So I'm actually not going to use the motor mounts I have, I'm now helping KubotaSwappers test out some new motor mounts that he is going to call universal mounts for our TJ Wranglers so we can move a Kubota engine where ever we want to in the engine bay.

The reasoning behind this is the V2403 is TINY and I'm looking to shove the motor a total of 5 inches or so forward which will only have the V2403 just at the front axle but that will give me a massive amount of room for a larger rear drive shaft!

Also I've been wanting to run a NP231-J doubler because I'm cheap, and moving the engine forward this much will let me have the NP231-J double on my TJ so I will have insane low range when I go off-roading!

Let me know what you think!

Thanks
Grant

That would be cool. With as built as mine is, I can attest that the longer driveshaft angle would be a nice addition!

Yeah I'm surprised by how much I can move the V2403 forward, I didn't realize how small this Kubota engine is compared to the 4.0l gas engine. Between it being so much shorter and lighter, I'm really hoping to do some unique things with my build now!