Building a diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler (Picture Heavy)

Yeah I'm surprised by how much I can move the V2403 forward, I didn't realize how small this Kubota engine is compared to the 4.0l gas engine. Between it being so much shorter and lighter, I'm really hoping to do some unique things with my build now!

That should afford you the ability to do some cool things for sure. And, on top of that, you'll be the only one I've ever heard from who has one of these engines in a TJ!

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
That should afford you the ability to do some cool things for sure. And, on top of that, you'll be the only one I've ever heard from who has one of these engines in a TJ!

So true but admittedly after struggling to remove those top two bell-housing bolts, I'm looking forward to easy transmission installation and removal in the future if I ever need to do so!!!

Those guys at KubotaSwappers must really love you! You're probably driving all their TJ business. Does anyone out there even have one of these in a TJ that you know of? This is certainly the first I've ever heard of it!

Those guys at KubotaSwappers must really love you! You're probably driving all their TJ business. Does anyone out there even have one of these in a TJ that you know of? This is certainly the first I've ever heard of it!

Lol yeah no kidding and yes I'm the first one to use their kit in a Wrangler, from talking to him most of his clients are doing this swap in Cherokees!

-Grant

Lol yeah no kidding and yes I'm the first one to use their kit in a Wrangler, from talking to him most of his clients are doing this swap in Cherokees!

-Grant

Interesting! I suspect you'll probably pave the way for people to run this swap in the future. I don't think anyone even knew this was a viable swap before you brought it to light!

Interesting! I suspect you'll probably pave the way for people to run this swap in the future. I don't think anyone even knew this was a viable swap before you brought it to light!

Honestly that is my hope and why I'm documenting the entire process as I go along. I've seen some really neat swaps online, but can never find out the details on how it was done, where the adapters were made, what transmission did they use etc. I'm always just left with so many questions.

I really want to go hey here is my Kubota swap, go here to see how it was done and why I made the design decisions that I did and here is where I got all my parts from. I want to make it so anyone can do this swap.

I got really lucky in find the adapter, and I got even more fortunate in being able to work with KubotaSwappers. I think part of the reason this has been working so well is I'm not doing a normal lift big tire combo, I'm actually aiming more towards an overlanding rig with massive range. The RHD has been proving to be an interesting challenge as well!

Reactions: Baird and Chris
Honestly that is my hope and why I'm documenting the entire process as I go along. I've seen some really neat swaps online, but can never find out the details on how it was done, where the adapters were made, what transmission did they use etc. I'm always just left with so many questions.

I really want to go hey here is my Kubota swap, go here to see how it was done and why I made the design decisions that I did and here is where I got all my parts from. I want to make it so anyone can do this swap.

I got really lucky in find the adapter, and I got even more fortunate in being able to work with KubotaSwappers. I think part of the reason this has been working so well is I'm not doing a normal lift big tire combo, I'm actually aiming more towards an overlanding rig with massive range. The RHD has been proving to be an interesting challenge as well!

Yep, I agree. You read about all these cool swaps, but with the exception of the V8, none of them are documented very well, which leaves a bunch of questions and concern for the person who might want to do it.

I wonder if it was LHD, if it would be any easier than if it was RHD?

Yep, I agree. You read about all these cool swaps, but with the exception of the V8, none of them are documented very well, which leaves a bunch of questions and concern for the person who might want to do it.

I wonder if it was LHD, if it would be any easier than if it was RHD?

That was our, myself and KubotaSwappers, biggest concern. It's looking like it's going to be able the same level effort with two different initial challenges.

If you have a LHD the Turbo placement is going to get really close to the Brake Master Cylinder/Booster so that will need to be taken into consideration.

On my RHD the AC compressor was going to be really close to the Brake Master Cylinder/Booster but now moving the V2403 engine forward 6.5" inches is going to solve that problem.

Thinking about it out loud as well, I just realized the easiest way to move the entire drivetrain is with an automatic transmission as well. I'm not sure how it would be done with a manual transmission though I'm sure it's possible.

Thanks
Grant

Hey TJers,

Got more work done on my project, got the gas tank out last night, it was both easy and hard! Next I'm going to be tackling some interior work for the new Winter's style shifter for my AW4 automatic transmission!

I've got several parts all coming this week so for now I'm going to be working on some clean up and small items on this project!

Thanks
Grant

Hey Guys,

So no video this time but I thought I would give an update on everything! I've got the new motor mount adapters from KubotaSwappers coming hopefully in the next day or so!

What I'm really excited about is the transfer case shifter setup that I have coming from JB Custom Fabrication. The problem I ran into I realized belatedly when I decided to go to a NP231 doubler setup was the transfer case shifters! No one makes them really for two NP231 setups. I message JB Custom Fabrication because I really like his products and he immediately messages me back and was able to put together the kit I needed for my build! I'm looking forward to getting those parts in and getting them installed in my Wrangler!

I'm trying to figure out if I need one more crossmember support for the double transfer cases. I think it would be a good idea, but I'm not sure where I would install one. So making progress just waiting on parts. I'm going to try working on the Wrangler this evening but mostly just doing miner stuff. I wish I had taken the top off before I started this project though, it would make doing the interior work so much easier!

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: Chris
Waiting on parts... haha, that describes my entire week last week. Literally, the TJ is sitting in the shop waiting to get done, but parts just aren't showing up on time. Grrrrr!

I'm still amazed you can fit two transfer cases under that thing personally.

Waiting on parts... haha, that describes my entire week last week. Literally, the TJ is sitting in the shop waiting to get done, but parts just aren't showing up on time. Grrrrr!

I'm still amazed you can fit two transfer cases under that thing personally.

I've done the math but I'm still nervous about it as well. Every where I search for NP231J doubler all I can find is it won't fit because the driveshaft will be to short, but I keep telling myself I'm moving the engine farther forward than any other build that I have seen!!

Good stuff, can't wait to see the rest of this unique swap. Those little motors have more potential for grunt than I would have thought!

Thank you so much!!! This might sound weird but I'm looking forward to seeing what weak points the Kubota V2403 is going to find in my TJ that I will have to address!!!

-Grant

I've done the math but I'm still nervous about it as well. Every where I search for NP231J doubler all I can find is it won't fit because the driveshaft will be to short, but I keep telling myself I'm moving the engine farther forward than any other build that I have seen!!

What will you do if you run into the short driveshaft and it ends up not working?

What will you do if you run into the short driveshaft and it ends up not working?

Right now I have a normal SYE kit, if I need something slightly longer for the rear driveshaft I'm going to try going to a extreme short SYE kit first before doing anything else. I've gotten myself hooked on the idea of a 7.39 to 1 crawl ratio!!!

I have a 10.88:1 crawl ratio, so I know the feeling ;)

Yeah I never thought I would have that kind of a crawl ratio in this TJ. I've thought for my next TJ build I would do the TJ-6 build where you get the LJ wheelbase but use the TJ and stretch it so the rear axle is 5" further backwards than the LJ then I would have the room for a doubler setup.

The other problem I have is I'm so cheap when it comes to this stuff. I really don't want to spend the money on an Atlas, I have nothing against them, but when the transfer case almost cost the same amount as my TJ . . . it just feels odd to me. I also really like to use commonly available parts because of the lower cost.

I'm so hesitant to go to be bigger tires because I don't plan on this being a massive trail rig, more of an all-around overlanding/daily driver TJ, I really want to stick with the Goodyear Wrangler 275/35r15 tires because they are so incredibly cheap. I can put 5 of those tires on my rig for around $280 total with mounting and balancing.

ANYWAY yes the wait on parts is killing me, and I found myself this week at looking at buying another TJ just so I could have a running one around :eek:! At least that is going to be my motivation to get this project done ASAP!

-Grant

That was our, myself and KubotaSwappers, biggest concern. It's looking like it's going to be able the same level effort with two different initial challenges.

If you have a LHD the Turbo placement is going to get really close to the Brake Master Cylinder/Booster so that will need to be taken into consideration.

On my RHD the AC compressor was going to be really close to the Brake Master Cylinder/Booster but now moving the V2403 engine forward 6.5" inches is going to solve that problem.

Thinking about it out loud as well, I just realized the easiest way to move the entire drivetrain is with an automatic transmission as well. I'm not sure how it would be done with a manual transmission though I'm sure it's possible.

Thanks
Grant
Soooo...got all excited about this swap and started doing a little digging on line for engine specs, availability & etc. In the process, the wife called. During the conversation, I mentioned the swap you're doing. SHE got all excited. Crap. o_O Now I have to do some math.

A couple of questions for you...

How noisy is that Kubota? The old school diesel rattle makes her nuts.

What, exactly, am I looking for when I search for a Kubota V2403? It appears the newer ones are electronic / common rail. Is that correct?

The Kubota swappers web site is pretty sparse, do you have additional resources to investigate? I'd be sticking with my manual transmission, so your point about engine position is a good one.

Still going through all of your videos...cool stuff!