Building a diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler (Picture Heavy)

If it were me, I would get it running with the AW4 and get everything else working, then drive it until you get the 6R80 transmission and any of the other parts you need.

If you're stuck waiting on parts, you may as well go enjoy it.

Actually found out this morning I should have the majority of my parts in the next two weeks before December. I think I'm going to stick with the 6r80, it will give me a better range of gears for highway and interstate driving.

Reactions: Alex01
Just watched the latest videos. Looks like every step right now is running you through the ringer. Absolutely love that you share this aspect. I still come away feeling like I can do more work myself but don’t have stupid Disney type expectations*. This is going to sound silly but when are struggling for motivation go back and watch your own first drive video. Keep up the great work!!

*Do not tell my 2 yr old I said that lol.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
There ya go, that’s not too much longer to wait.

Yup my thoughts exactly as well, and it really will become what I want out of this TJ Wrangler as well.

Just watched the latest videos. Looks like every step right now is running you through the ringer. Absolutely love that you share this aspect. I still come away feeling like I can do more work myself but don’t have stupid Disney type expectations*. This is going to sound silly but when are struggling for motivation go back and watch your own first drive video. Keep up the great work!!

*Do not tell my 2 yr old I said that lol.

Yeah it really has been running me through the ringer! But I'm getting closer each time as well so it's worth it. I do go back and watch the videos where I go driving it, that really does help as well!

Okay now for updates!

I got my Kubota V2403 turbo diesel engine and Ford 6r80 6-speed automatic transmission installed into my RHD TJ Wrangler. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I never have to pull this 6r80 transmission out.

nJs7GsF.jpg

All things considered the installation of the engine and transmission went together easily enough. Installing the motor mounts on to the Kubota engine made for a very simple install as well.

tKvJTxB.jpg

This 6r80 transmission is HEAVY though. It was almost more work to get the transmission onto my transmission jack and secured than it was to get it mated to my diesel engine.

DmH5NFY.jpg

Also getting the Ford 6r80 underneath my Wrangler on the transmission jack ended up being a chore as well. I don't like lifting vehicles with blocks of wood, but this transmission was so heavy I wouldn't have been able to lift it onto my jack while I was underneath my Wrangler.

4Aj7x4k.jpg

I'm surprised by how far forward everything is, the transmission barely reaching the tunnel cover underneath the Wrangler. I know the transmission to transfer case adapter is going to be about 3.5" inches so I'm going to have a significantly longer rear driveshaft now as well!

nbt2BiO.jpg

xcQqgBl.jpg

Here's the video if you want to watch it:

Let me know what you think!

Thanks
Grant

• Wow
Reactions: Chris and Alex01
I commend you on your build and at the same time cringe at the thought of starting over. I do have a couple of questions for you. First, what hydro boost did you use and was there any modifications to make it work other than the power steering side of it? Secondly, did you have your build together long enough to get any mileage numbers on it?

r/
Steve

I commend you on your build and at the same time cringe at the thought of starting over. I do have a couple of questions for you. First, what hydro boost did you use and was there any modifications to make it work other than the power steering side of it? Secondly, did you have your build together long enough to get any mileage numbers on it?

r/
Steve

Hey Steve sorry for the late reply, I took a week off from the internet, well mostly, to spend time with my family. So a couple of things. I knew going into this build I would more than likely have to redo parts of my work. I knew that because of the nature of doing a swap that is not common at all. I'm really not starting over, swapping the transmission really just means changing the TCU, Shifter, and transmission crossmember and driveshafts. In all reality it's not that much work at all.

This is the seller I got my hydro boost from, he has a separate adapter he can sell you so you can reuse your current Master Cylinder so you don't have to bleed your brakes, thats what I did and I love it.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=291657111754

I have not gotten accurate milage numbers yet, but with the AW4 I was running with a mix of onroad and offroad driving I was averaging about 26mpg. That is a VERY rough estimate but this thing sips fuel compared to the stock 4.0l engine.

@RustyAutoholicGuy How do you like your Bestop hardtop? No leaks and quiet?

I'm still missing the rear passenger window so I have not tested out how the leaks or how quiet the top is yet! I just haven't gotten the other parts of the swap done to the point where that has been the focus so far!

Thanks
Grant

Reactions: zebra12
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Figured I'd give an update now that it's 2021, hard to believe I started this project back in 2018, seem so long ago now. Also no video or pictures, just a generic update.

I should be getting my transmission to transfer case adapter here in the next week or so hopefully. I've received my new shifter finally for the Ford 6r80 from Lokar, that took almost 8 week to get here, I knew shipping was going to take a while but not that long. Also I've got a new transfer case shifter in from JB Custom Fab as well since I will no longer be running the doubler.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading the input shaft on my NP231 right now as well from a 21-spline input to a 31-spline input for the Ford 6r80 transmission.

Once I get the adapter in and the transfer case back together, I just need to measure for the new driveshafts, again, and then I should be ready to test the entire setup. I might need to re-adjust my adjust control arms on the rear again as well, I have a feeling the transfer case output pinion angle is going to change again with the new driveline setup.

I'm ready for my TJ to be working as a daily drive again. While I had a bunch of success with the swap last year, the early model AW4 plus the low stall torque converter really hurt me, I still think I might have been able to get away with going to the other AW4 but ultimately I really think having a 6-speed automatic is going to solve all my outstanding issues in terms of gearing.

Anyway that's my update, I'm really hoping to have my TJ running and driving mid February, this time at highway speeds as well, so I can change my focus on what I'm doing with this Wrangler.

Thanks
Grant

WOW I thought you'd gotten this done already. Bummer but hope things come together soon.

I might have been done if I went with a later model AW4, which I actually bought. However the more I looked at gearing, the more I realized having two overdrives with the Ford 6r80 would really benefit me.

The other issue I'm fighting is having an IDI more versus a DI motor, more than likely if I had gotten a DI motor, I wouldn't have had the issues I'm running into currently.

Reactions: Wildman
Well I understand the wanting it DONE and being able to drive it again. This has been a great build. Keep at it and you'll be on the road in no time.

Hey TJers,

I've started the process of swapping the input shaft on my NP231 from the stock 23-spline input shaft to a custom 31-spline input shaft that I bought from NorthWest Fab. I'm swapping input shafts so I can mate my NP231 to my Ford 6r80 6-speed automatic transmission, which has a 31-spline output, that I've installed behind my Kubota Turbo diesel in my TJ Wrangler.

0JyuyNR.jpg

The teardown of my NP231 has actually gone very well but I did notice some wear on the plastic for the shifter forks. Other than that, the rest of the internals of the transfer case appear to be in great shape.

9Ur7tH9.jpg

After I got the 6-pin planetary removed from the NP231 housing, I did not that were was a shim with the original input shaft. At the time I didn't think much about it, but now I'm wondering if I don't have my input shaft shimmed correct which caused the wear on my shift forks.

vhTTnZf.jpg

tcMJ2Jf.jpg

If anyone has any information on where I can read up on the tolerances and shimming for the NP231 input shafts, that would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the video if you want to watch it:

Thanks
Grant

Hey TJers,

I've started the process of swapping the input shaft on my NP231 from the stock 23-spline input shaft to a custom 31-spline input shaft that I bought from NorthWest Fab. I'm swapping input shafts so I can mate my NP231 to my Ford 6r80 6-speed automatic transmission, which has a 31-spline output, that I've installed behind my Kubota Turbo diesel in my TJ Wrangler.

View attachment 216406

The teardown of my NP231 has actually gone very well but I did notice some wear on the plastic for the shifter forks. Other than that, the rest of the internals of the transfer case appear to be in great shape.

View attachment 216407

After I got the 6-pin planetary removed from the NP231 housing, I did not that were was a shim with the original input shaft. At the time I didn't think much about it, but now I'm wondering if I don't have my input shaft shimmed correct which caused the wear on my shift forks.

View attachment 216408

View attachment 216409

If anyone has any information on where I can read up on the tolerances and shimming for the NP231 input shafts, that would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the video if you want to watch it:

Thanks
Grant
Damn man, get a workbench

Damn man, get a workbench
Yeah I have one and it's full of crap right now, though I'm going through the process of cleaning my shop now, it always seems to get worse before it gets better.

The new intro is nice. Well done.
Thank you so much @Alex01 that took me longer to make than I care to admit!

-Grant

Yeah I have one and it's full of crap right now, though I'm going through the process of cleaning my shop now, it always seems to get worse before it gets better.

Thank you so much @Alex01 that took me longer to make than I care to admit!

-Grant
Same boat but I’m not gonna do anything until I get the benches and carts ready. Hopefully I can start this weekend.