Building a diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler (Picture Heavy)

I agree but I'll tell you this, you'll get the same fuel economy for a fraction of the price going with a TDI setup.

TDI engines from a junkyard in my area guaranteed running are under $1000 and you can swap turbos, injectors and get a tune on them with the adapters and still be under the cost of just the Cummins R2.8 engine.
Whats the reliability like with a swapped Tdi? Do folks usually buy a used motor with 150k and do a full rebuild?

Another thing I have been wondering about wheeling with a diesel is the smell. We go SLOW on the trail and one stinky rig makes everyone suffer. Are these swapped diesels puking fumes pretty bad?

Whats the reliability like with a swapped Tdi? Do folks usually buy a used motor with 150k and do a full rebuild?

Another thing I have been wondering about wheeling with a diesel is the smell. We go SLOW on the trail and one stinky rig makes everyone suffer. Are these swapped diesels puking fumes pretty bad?
the smell of diesel is great

I have a 05 LJ. With alot done and this build of yours is worth following for me. As I love driving my LJ and hope to do some kind of swap to drive to Colorado, Utah and wheel. I'm totally interested. Already have a AW4 tranny on my 4.0 231 transfer case with 4:88 on 35s and Ox lockers F&B disc brakes from factory F&B. But a diesel would be sweet. My 06 jeep liberty crd is my daily as well. I do the work on it. But not worth, as you say to put in a wrangler.

Agreed, the Liberty diesel is a great vehicle but I wouldn't want to try swapping the engine with all the wiring though we have a member doing it right now in Canada and it looks amazing, more work than I was willing to tackle.

I can't speak for a TDI, I've only ever messed with the Kubota engines, but like all things it's the other components and tuning that dictate most of that. Just like a gas engine, if you run it too rich, it will smell like gasoline from the exhaust.

On my Kubota swap, I'm running both a diesel catalytic converter and a muffler. The diesel cat really helps with both emissions and smell as well. The other reason I'm running it is because I live in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the police here can be picky about the state laws when it comes to exhaust system, as long as I have one on there, I'm good.

The second part of that is tuning, both with the boost and the fuel. I can easily crank up the fuel so I'm rolling coal but two things. First it's a waste of fuel and second it just makes everything run hotter as well. Diesel is a burn lean fuel compared to gasoline which is a burn rich fuel. Now like all things there is a point where you can go too lean on the diesel mixture, however going too rich doesn't really do you any favors in the longterm, yes you might get more power, I can't attest to that though, I've never put mine on a dyno to see what happens either way.

My other goal was to make my TJ as quiet and subtle as possible, yes I have a body lift and different wheels and tires, but a good majority of Jeep owners do that anyway. What I want is to be able to take off from a stop, get onto boost and not have to worry about rolling coal pissing off the other cars and trucks on the road. Virginia has also started to crack down on trucks that roll coal though to the best of my knowledge there isn't a law against, I believe you end up getting a ticket for something related to it. Again Commonwealth of Virginia is an interesting state to live in. No radar detectors allowed here in Virginia just as a case in point.

-Grant

Reactions: BugoutJeep
The thing that worries me about the TDI is that you can't get too much power out of it due to its size and that it also may become obsolete in the future if volkswagon decides to do away with it. The cummins R2.8 is still having tunes developed for it by Cummins and is still a relatively new engine on the market. I'm not going to do the swap until I find someone that offers a adapter kit for the 32rh transmission, hopefully the Kubota guy you got your stuff from gets his hands on one of those r2.8s one of these days and starts making those parts.

Hey TJers,

After finding a set of Impact Orange half doors, I decided to also see if I could find some new seats for my diesel swap TJ Wrangler Project. I settled on a set of 2002 Apex Edition seats for my TJ. Bought the front and rear seats and had them shipped to my place from Novak Auto Parts. The seats were well packaged and I think they look great in my TJ. I like both the seating position and comfort of these seats compared to the stock seats my Wrangler came with. Still waiting on my transmission to transfer case adapter which I hope to get here before this weekend . . . I really need to get my TJ done for TJ Fest.

v58R2vF.jpg

ENnkSUl.jpg

KJr27YN.jpg

mckFFDn.jpg

Here is the video if you want to watch it:

Thanks
Grant

The thing that worries me about the TDI is that you can't get too much power out of it due to its size and that it also may become obsolete in the future if volkswagon decides to do away with it. The cummins R2.8 is still having tunes developed for it by Cummins and is still a relatively new engine on the market. I'm not going to do the swap until I find someone that offers a adapter kit for the 32rh transmission, hopefully the Kubota guy you got your stuff from gets his hands on one of those r2.8s one of these days and starts making those parts.
I missed this post completely. So I'm not sure how much power you are looking for. Diesels are all about torque not HP. Even a TDI will get over 300ft/lbs of torque with a tune, injectors and a bigger turbo with ease. Also the TDI will rev to about 4500rpm as well. My Kubota will rev to about 3300rpm but I can easily get to 300ft/lbs of torque. Even if volkswagen discontinues the TDI, so many have been built and the aftermarket is so active for the TDI you'll be able to get parts for decades to come.

those seats look really nice, I never knew tj's came with leather seats at one time.
They really are, I just learned about them recently and knew I wanted a set for my Wrangler. Seriously debating getting a set for my LJ Rubicon as well!

-Grant

I missed this post completely. So I'm not sure how much power you are looking for. Diesels are all about torque not HP. Even a TDI will get over 300ft/lbs of torque with a tune, injectors and a bigger turbo with ease. Also the TDI will rev to about 4500rpm as well. My Kubota will rev to about 3300rpm but I can easily get to 300ft/lbs of torque. Even if volkswagen discontinues the TDI, so many have been built and the aftermarket is so active for the TDI you'll be able to get parts for decades to come.

They really are, I just learned about them recently and knew I wanted a set for my Wrangler. Seriously debating getting a set for my LJ Rubicon as well!

-Grant
I really love the green tj seats. One day I will get some to complete my sahara interior swap.

• Wow
Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Very nice writeup, information and build. Thank you for documenting everything! I look forward to the progress of this engine swap.

Couple things, If you are in search of a Kubota engine also check Turf or golf course Equipment. Many of the large rough rotary mowers from Toro and Jacobsen came with V03 series Kubota engines.

Here is some good reading info on the Kubota

DieselEngineMotor.Com - Kubota Diesel Engines

And a place for rebuilds or to buy

Kubota Diesel Engines | In Stock New or Remanufactured Diesel Engines (countrysalesandservice.com)