Building a diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler (Picture Heavy)

Think it will be done in time for the event?
Maybe, it's going to be close, at this point I'm giving myself until March to decided. World events have slowed down parts getting here and I've cut my list of things I have to do to make the trip to the following (in no order):

• Install Transmission to Transfer Case Adapter (being machined next week)
  • Install Transmission Shifter
  • Install Transmission TCU
  • Install Transfer Case Shifter
  • Finish assembly of my Transfer Case
  • Replace Seats (I got a set out of a Commander that I'm going to attempt to retrofit)
  • Fabricate New Crossmember for Transmission/Transfer Case
  • Reinstall missing dashboard pieces (I never finished painting them, I'll paint them later)
  • Reinstall Starter
  • Reinstall Exhaust
  • Reinstall Grill (which includes radiator, heat exchanger, etc)
  • Reattach cooling hoses for Radiator and Intercooler
  • Get new driveshafts made <— I can't do this until I have my transfer case mounted to my transmission
I'm hoping to knock out most of that list here this weekend actually. I had so much other stuff I was going to do but it can wait until after Moab.

-Grant

Maybe, it's going to be close, at this point I'm giving myself until March to decided. World events have slowed down parts getting here and I've cut my list of things I have to do to make the trip to the following (in no order):

• Install Transmission Shifter
  • Install Transmission TCU
  • Install Transfer Case Shifter
  • Finish assembly of my Transfer Case
  • Replace Seats (I got a set out of a Commander that I'm going to attempt to retrofit)
  • Reinstall missing dashboard pieces (I never finished painting them, I'll paint them later)
  • Reinstall Starter
  • Reinstall Exhaust
  • Reinstall Grill (which includes radiator, heat exchanger, etc)
  • Reattach cooling hoses for Radiator and Intercooler
  • Get new driveshafts made <— I can't do this until I have my transfer case mounted to my transmission
I'm hoping to knock out most of that list here this weekend actually. I had so much other stuff I was going to do but it can wait until after Moab.

-Grant

Well this should just be fine and dandy when it's done. Of course now I remember why I don't like projects anymore (not like I used to at least). I'm hoping you do get it running. I'd like to experience a TJ with a real tractor engine (even though the 4.0 is basically a tractor engine :LOL:).

Of course now I remember why I don't like projects anymore (not like I used to at least).
Quick question.

Is your jeep able to move under its own power currently 🤭

Projects are fun as long as they aren't a primary vehicle. Its way more fun to be able to take your time and not be rushed.

I'd love to do a swap like this one day but since I'm in CA it will need to be on something older than 1975 so I can avoid smog. Hopefully I'll find the right cj2a one day.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Well this should just be fine and dandy when it's done. Of course now I remember why I don't like projects anymore (not like I used to at least). I'm hoping you do get it running. I'd like to experience a TJ with a real tractor engine (even though the 4.0 is basically a tractor engine :LOL:).

Out of everything on that list, the hold up is the transmission to transfer case adapter. I commissioned KubotaSwappers to design/build it, there was another company that had one, but I couldn't clock the transfer case with their adapter and it was WAY too long and expensive as well. The problem has been the material and all the lock downs in California. The material for the adapter didn't show up until earlier this week, we ordered the material back in early November :oops:

Really everything else I'm going to try getting done this week. The only things I won't be able to do are:

I was actually planning on redoing the accessory drive . . . again . . . so I would have AC but that's not needed, there are so many little things I was going to do before Moab that would be nice but not needed for the trip either.

I really want to get out there and meet everyone as well. My build has really solely focused on the driveline. Except for adjustable upper and lower control arms, my suspension is bone stock.

It's funny you bring up the tractor engine, when I first got it running, it REALLY felt like a tractor, but with advancing the injection timing, swapping the fuel limiting springs and upgrading to the K03 with intercooler, it drives much more like a normal engine than it did before. THAT SAID when your wheeling, if you have every spent ANY amount of time on a tractor, it sounds and feels like a tractor :ROFLMAO:

Quick question.

Projects are fun as long as they aren't a primary vehicle. Its way more fun to be able to take your time and not be rushed.

I'd love to do a swap like this one day but since I'm in CA it will need to be on something older than 1975 so I can avoid smog. Hopefully I'll find the right cj2a one day.
Unfortunately no mine does not at the moment, I have no way of attaching the NP231 transfer case to the adapter. Other than that, it would move, well that and driveshafts, I need another set of driveshafts as well.

Just realized your question for @Chris and not me :whistle:

-Grant

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Quick question.

Projects are only fun to me if you get to spend more time driving them than you do working on them. Truth be told, when I got rid of my last khaki one I was almost relieved as I spent so much time building it that I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I wanted to. With this new one, most of the big stuff is done, so I'm spending more time driving it, wheeling it, and enjoying it.

I never want to get sucked into a big project like my last one again, it's just not for me. I like watching others build theirs, but I won't make that mistake again myself. Shit, I would be done with the PSC install by now if it wasn't for the instructions I am helping Blaine with. Last time I'll ever agree to do instructions again :LOL:

Projects are only fun to me if you get to spend more time driving them than you do working on them. Truth be told, when I got rid of my last khaki one I was almost relieved as I spent so much time building it that I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I wanted to. With this new one, most of the big stuff is done, so I'm spending more time driving it, wheeling it, and enjoying it.

I never want to get sucked into a big project like my last one again, it's just not for me. I like watching others build theirs, but I won't make that mistake again myself. Shit, I would be done with the PSC install by now if it wasn't for the instructions I am helping Blaine with. Last time I'll ever agree to do instructions again :LOL:
I feel the same way as you @Chris. Even without my TJ being able to go over 50mph, I drove the piss out of it, and wheeled it on my property pretty much every other day. I usually took it to go get coffee each morning as well. The crazy part is I just realized I have only filled the tank twice. Once when I first got it to pass inspection, it only had about 2 gallons of diesel in it at the time and then once sometime in August I believe, I think I still have half of tank of diesel in it. It feels like if I look at my LJR fuel gauge I have to fill it up . . .

Once the driveline is working in my TJ, I don't ever seeing myself doing things to it that would require it to be off the road for more than a few weeks at a time, certainly not months like it's been now.

I've already decided I'm not building my LJR or my CJ-2a anytime time soon, once this TJ gets built, I'm going to just enjoy it for a few years before building something else.

-Grant

Out of everything on that list, the hold up is the transmission to transfer case adapter. I commissioned KubotaSwappers to design/build it, there was another company that had one, but I couldn't clock the transfer case with their adapter and it was WAY too long and expensive as well. The problem has been the material and all the lock downs in California. The material for the adapter didn't show up until earlier this week, we ordered the material back in early November :oops:

Really everything else I'm going to try getting done this week. The only things I won't be able to do are:

I was actually planning on redoing the accessory drive . . . again . . . so I would have AC but that's not needed, there are so many little things I was going to do before Moab that would be nice but not needed for the trip either.

I really want to get out there and meet everyone as well. My build has really solely focused on the driveline. Except for adjustable upper and lower control arms, my suspension is bone stock.

It's funny you bring up the tractor engine, when I first got it running, it REALLY felt like a tractor, but with advancing the injection timing, swapping the fuel limiting springs and upgrading to the K03 with intercooler, it drives much more like a normal engine than it did before. THAT SAID when your wheeling, if you have every spent ANY amount of time on a tractor, it sounds and feels like a tractor :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately no mine does not at the moment, I have no way of attaching the NP231 transfer case to the adapter. Other than that, it would move, well that and driveshafts, I need another set of driveshafts as well.

Just realized your question for @Chris and not me :whistle:

-Grant

Lockdowns haven't helped any of us, that's for sure. My PRP seats are 10-12 weeks out because of it, and so many other things I've ordered have had huge delays. Nothing as bad as yours, but I certainly feel your pain to some degree.

I guess if worse comes to worst, you can always take your TJ Unlimited, right?

Lockdowns haven't helped any of us, that's for sure. My PRP seats are 10-12 weeks out because of it, and so many other things I've ordered have had huge delays. Nothing as bad as yours, but I certainly feel your pain to some degree.

I guess if worse comes to worst, you can always take your TJ Unlimited, right?
Not really, it needs a clutch and I'm spending ever spare dime I have on my diesel swap so I can get out to Moab. Well if I'm honest my LJR needs a few things, for instance, I found out today that my Mishimoto radiator is now leaking . . . which everyone warned me about when I installed it, so I'll need to replace that sooner rather than later as well.

That being said, if it doesn't look like my TJ will work out, I'll see how quickly I can do the small repairs on my LJR. I really didn't want my first time out to Moab to be in my LJR, but at this point maybe it's something I should consider :cautious:

how was it getting to match your automatic transmission to the engine. I want to do a r2.8 swap with my stock 32rh but i'm new to adapting engines to auto transmissions and i'd like to get some more info on it such as parts needed etc.

how was it getting to match your automatic transmission to the engine. I want to do a r2.8 swap with my stock 32rh but i'm new to adapting engines to auto transmissions and i'd like to get some more info on it such as parts needed etc.
I've gotten all my parts from KubotaSwappers here:

https://kubotaswappers.myshopify.com/collections/all
If you don't see it on his site, call the number there and talk to him. One side not that this is a single man operation, other companies that do adapters have a much faster turn around time, however every crazy idea I've had, such as using the Ford 6r80 and adapting it to the Kubota 03 series engine and then adapting it to the NP231 KubotaSwappers has been like "hell yeah we'll try it".

I know he's been wanting to get his hands on a R2.8 to make an adapter as it's an engine I'm considering for my LJ currently.

Diesels are low RPM, I know the Cummins R2.8 can rev, especially compared to my Kubota, but I would seriously consider going for a transmission that has more gears than a 32rh.

HOWEVER if you want to keep the 32rh, which is a great transmission, maybe consider going TDI instead if you can were you live, I know the Cummins is a great option as it's 50 state legal which is huge, but I know you can adapt the TDI to 32rh with this kit I believe:

https://ca.tdconversions.com/jeep
If you want to run the Cummins R2.8 it will work since the Cummins had the RPM, but you are going to want to pay close attention to your gearing in your axles and you tire size as well.

Hope that helps!
-Grant

Reactions: Alex01 and AidenC
I've gotten all my parts from KubotaSwappers here:

https://kubotaswappers.myshopify.com/collections/all
If you don't see it on his site, call the number there and talk to him. One side not that this is a single man operation, other companies that do adapters have a much faster turn around time, however every crazy idea I've had, such as using the Ford 6r80 and adapting it to the Kubota 03 series engine and then adapting it to the NP231 KubotaSwappers has been like "hell yeah we'll try it".

I know he's been wanting to get his hands on a R2.8 to make an adapter as it's an engine I'm considering for my LJ currently.

Diesels are low RPM, I know the Cummins R2.8 can rev, especially compared to my Kubota, but I would seriously consider going for a transmission that has more gears than a 32rh.

HOWEVER if you want to keep the 32rh, which is a great transmission, maybe consider going TDI instead if you can were you live, I know the Cummins is a great option as it's 50 state legal which is huge, but I know you can adapt the TDI to 32rh with this kit I believe:

https://ca.tdconversions.com/jeep
If you want to run the Cummins R2.8 it will work since the Cummins had the RPM, but you are going to want to pay close attention to your gearing in your axles and you tire size as well.

Hope that helps!
-Grant
We don't have diesel emissions testing in Houston but even if we did the inspectors dont really care. I would love the cummins swap because of the growing popularity of it and the way that the engine is designed with its efficiency and how easily it is to delete it. 30 mpg is hard to beat.

We don't have diesel emissions testing in Houston but even if we did the inspectors dont really care. I would love the cummins swap because of the growing popularity of it and the way that the engine is designed with its efficiency and how easily it is to delete it. 30 mpg is hard to beat.
I agree but I'll tell you this, you'll get the same fuel economy for a fraction of the price going with a TDI setup.

TDI engines from a junkyard in my area guaranteed running are under $1000 and you can swap turbos, injectors and get a tune on them with the adapters and still be under the cost of just the Cummins R2.8 engine.

Reactions: B00mb00m
Hey TJers,

After 4 years of searching, I finally found a set of Impact Orange Half Doors for my TJ Wrangler. While they are not perfect and I paid more than you would normally pay for a set of used TJ Wrangler Half Doors, I'm thrilled to finally have a set on my TJ.

13RXmjY.jpg

This was the one accessory I wanted for my TJ Wrangler from the day I bought it, more so than swapping a diesel engine into it, I wanted a set of half doors. The first year of looking I was optimistic about finding a set of half doors quickly but that didn't last long.

MeYNYTR.jpg

I posted on forums, on every Jeep parts group I could on Facebook, and I would scroll through all the listing on car-parts.com each week hoping to find a set. I had found a set once about 18 months ago but when I called they had just been sold the day before.

B7UpYa5.jpg

When I found these half doors, I called Patterson Auto Wrecking and was able to work out a deal with shipping for the doors. The doors were in Pennsylvania and I live on the border of Virginia and North Carolina. There was a little bit of confusion around the doors which is why the door panels had been removed but Patterson Auto Wrecking was very accommodating in working with me to get that resolved quickly and professionally. I will also say this was the best packaging of half doors that I could have hoped for. I paid for the doors last Friday, they shipped on Monday and I had them Wednesday.

tXOWH0F.jpg

Since I finally had another set of doors I decided to install the wall mount hanger for Wrangler doors I had gotten from my wife's family for Christmas 2019. I so rarely took the doors of my TJ I just never got around to installing the mount, but with having two sets of doors it was the perfect time install the wall mount as well.

BMVUmmd.jpg

Since the door panels have already been removed I'm going to be painting them the same tan color that I have painted the rest of my interior this weekend before I re-install the door panels onto the doors. I can't wait to get my TJ running again and experience driving my Wrangler with these half doors on it though I know more than likely with it still being winter, I'm going to have to put on my full doors back on for the time being!

dZHxUE5.jpg

Here is the video if you want to watch it:

Thanks
Grant

Hey TJers,

After 4 years of searching, I finally found a set of Impact Orange Half Doors for my TJ Wrangler. While they are not perfect and I paid more than you would normally pay for a set of used TJ Wrangler Half Doors, I'm thrilled to finally have a set on my TJ.

View attachment 220092

This was the one accessory I wanted for my TJ Wrangler from the day I bought it, more so than swapping a diesel engine into it, I wanted a set of half doors. The first year of looking I was optimistic about finding a set of half doors quickly but that didn't last long.

View attachment 220093

I posted on forums, on every Jeep parts group I could on Facebook, and I would scroll through all the listing on car-parts.com each week hoping to find a set. I had found a set once about 18 months ago but when I called they had just been sold the day before.

View attachment 220094

When I found these half doors, I called Patterson Auto Wrecking and was able to work out a deal with shipping for the doors. The doors were in Pennsylvania and I live on the border of Virginia and North Carolina. There was a little bit of confusion around the doors which is why the door panels had been removed but Patterson Auto Wrecking was very accommodating in working with me to get that resolved quickly and professionally. I will also say this was the best packaging of half doors that I could have hoped for. I paid for the doors last Friday, they shipped on Monday and I had them Wednesday.

View attachment 220095

Since I finally had another set of doors I decided to install the wall mount hanger for Wrangler doors I had gotten from my wife's family for Christmas 2019. I so rarely took the doors of my TJ I just never got around to installing the mount, but with having two sets of doors it was the perfect time install the wall mount as well.

View attachment 220096

Since the door panels have already been removed I'm going to be painting them the same tan color that I have painted the rest of my interior this weekend before I re-install the door panels onto the doors. I can't wait to get my TJ running again and experience driving my Wrangler with these half doors on it though I know more than likely with it still being winter, I'm going to have to put on my full doors back on for the time being!

View attachment 220097

Here is the video if you want to watch it:

Thanks
Grant
Looking good. Congratulations on the find.

Now you just need those glass uppers so you can take them to Moab.

And the hunt continues.

Also, are we just going to ignore the freshly painted Willys tub that appeared in the corner...
That tub has been painted like that for YEARS, it's always been back there, it was just on it's side, and I rotated it and turned it 180° to give me more room in my shop!

I have a 05 LJ. With alot done and this build of yours is worth following for me. As I love driving my LJ and hope to do some kind of swap to drive to Colorado, Utah and wheel. I'm totally interested. Already have a AW4 tranny on my 4.0 231 transfer case with 4:88 on 35s and Ox lockers F&B disc brakes from factory F&B. But a diesel would be sweet. My 06 jeep liberty crd is my daily as well. I do the work on it. But not worth, as you say to put in a wrangler.