Building a diesel powered RHD TJ Wrangler (Picture Heavy)

Well TJers,

This is the last post of this thread for this build. I never thought this was going to happen, but I'm having to switch from running a Kubota turbo diesel engine in my Right Hand Drive TJ Wrangler to a Volkswagen ALH TDI engine all because I need a functional OBD-II port.

6fAmJ0c.jpg

About a month ago now I was watching the local news in my area while eating Sunday morning breakfast when the reporters mentioned that state inspections might require a functional OBD-II port to pass inspection if your vehicle originally came equipped with an OBD-II port.

At the time I didn't think much of it honestly and while I doubt this will actually change in my area, I realized later that same day it would mean my Kubota powered TJ Wrangler would not pass inspection if that check for OBD-II does happen. I have not heard anything about it again since but I just don't want to take that chance either of building a Jeep that I can't get to pass inspection either.

The way I see it one of two things is going to happen. Either I continue with the Kubota engine and the state inspections do change at which point I can't pass inspection OR I'm preemptive about the possible change, switch to a diesel engine where I can have an OBD-II port at which point my state will not require it for inspections. That just seems to be how I luck with these things go.

As for the engine, it's a 2000 Volkswagen ALH TDI that is completely stock. I don't know the mileage on the motor but it came with just about everything, all the accessories are there, manual transmission, I had gotten the engine bay harness as well as the body harness, the only thing I'm still missing is a throttle pedal which I have one coming.

I had actually bought this engine for another build I was going to be doing, but since I can have a working OBD-II port with the diesel engine, it's now going into my Right Hand Drive TJ Wrangler. I know there are better TDI engines out there in terms of power, however I'm using what I already own.

As for the Kubota V2403, I'm giving the Kubota engine with the majority of my first driveline to my friend Jacob for his 1990 YJ Jeep Wrangler. Since his Jeep originally came with a carbureted 4.2l, and more importantly doesn't have OBD-II, we are going to put the Kubota with a later model AW4, which has the better overdrive gear, in his Wrangler.

So instead of wrapping up my TJ Wrangler diesel swap, I'm now going to be building a Kubota powered YJ Wrangler and a Volkswagen TDI powered TJ Wrangler pretty much at the same time in my shop.

Here is the video if you want to watch:

Here is the link to my new build thread on here for the ALH TDI build:
RHD Diesel TJ Wrangler Build Swap…Take Two (Will Be Picture Heavy)

Hopefully I will see y'all in the other build thread!
Thanks
Grant

WOW you really know how to throw us a twist.

This is why I always try to encourage people to do a emissions legal (EPA) swap when doing any type of engine swap. Even if you do not have emissions testing currently where you are living there isn't any thing saying it can't change. So if you follow EPA rules most times you should be OK.

Good luck with the new swap. What is the plan for the drivetrain?

How many takes did it require to be that positive about the change in direction in the video? 😉

In all seriousness, glad you are able to keep head up and positive with all the challenges this has seen. And your friend is one lucky guys. I’m sure happens that don’t see but he might owe you a few hours wrenching.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
WOW you really know how to throw us a twist.

This is why I always try to encourage people to do a emissions legal (EPA) swap when doing any type of engine swap. Even if you do not have emissions testing currently where you are living there isn't any thing saying it can't change. So if you follow EPA rules most times you should be OK.

Good luck with the new swap. What is the plan for the drivetrain?

So the the plan is the TDI to the Ford 6R80 to my NP231 in my TJ. Jacob's YJ is going to be getting my Kubota V2403 with a later model AW4 that has the better overdrive and going to be running his NP231.

How many takes did it require to be that positive about the change in direction in the video? 😉

In all seriousness, glad you are able to keep head up and positive with all the challenges this has seen. And your friend is one lucky guys. I’m sure happens that don’t see but he might owe you a few hours wrenching.

Surprisingly that was all one take. I really like the Kubota, it's a VERY simple engine, and the off-idle torque is incredible, however the TDI is kind of the motor I initially wanted to run back in 2018 but no one made an adapter, at that time, for an automatic.

In a way it's kind of good, I don't think I would have ever thought of running a TDI with the Ford 6R80 without trying the Kubota first.

What I'm really waiting for is for the Quick10 controller, I'm guessing that is going to be the name of it, from USShift, so I can run the TDI with a 10-speed automatic that is then mated to my NP231 in my TJ Wrangler, I think that setup would be amazing!

The one thing I know is that diesels love gears, so having a 10-speed automatic would be killer in my TJ Wrangler.

Reactions: CV04TJR and Wildman
I was always under the impression that a vehicle with a swap would be tested based on the rules for the swapped engine. I haven't read the whole thread, but if the original kubota doesn't have a port, does it matter?

(Standard disclaimers apply)

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
I was always under the impression that a vehicle with a swap would be tested based on the rules for the swapped engine. I haven't read the whole thread, but if the original kubota doesn't have a port, does it matter?

(Standard disclaimers apply)

SOOO the problem with the Kubota is it's an industrial diesel engine, not an automative diesel engine, at least with the TDI I'm using an engine that came out of an automobile.

Awesome. Love seeing nicely machined parts.

Same, there is something satisfying about having smooth machined parts with the build. Still aiming to have this swap up and running before the end of the year. Thankfully I don't have to mock up the rest of the drivetrain which makes everything simpler.

Reactions: Alex01 and Wildman
Hey TJers,

I don't know why but doing the first test fire of any engine outside of an engine bay always gives me pause, more so if it's a diesel just because of it's inherent low end torque. Taking my time and double checking that I had plenty of support for my ALH TDI up I was able to get the engine to run on my first try.

gyU4rPs.jpg

This entire process has been interesting since I have now had to test fire both a mechanical Kubota diesel engine and a computer control TDI engine. Here is what I have found to be the difference so far between the two engines.

The Kubota mechanical turbo diesel engine was much easier to get to the point where I could try starting the motor. I just had to wire up the starter to a battery along with two wires for the fuel shutoff solenoid. However getting the Kubota to actually start the first time involves cracking the injectors and injector lines so that the engine can get diesel fuel properly. After a few attempts it will finally start up.

With this ALH TDI I spent way more time wrapping my head around all the electrical connections that needed to be plugged in so that the ECU could control the VW diesel engine. I took my time with this as I wasn't one who pulled this motor so I was having to learn what went where as I was trying to get everything ready to test fire. Once I had all that figured out I was honestly shocked that the ALH TDI fired up first try.

In the end I think it takes a similar amount of time to start both engines, but I definitely found the ALH TDI to be much smoother and quieter compared to the mechanically injected Kubota engine I was running previously.

Next it's time to start taking the TDI apart, removing all the extra stuff on it I won't be using and fitting the adapter I got from KubotaSwappers onto it.

Let me know what you think!
Thanks
Grant

Sounds great! Awesome to see you got it started. I’m dying for it to cool down here maybe we will have them running around the same time!
That would be awesome for sure! Maybe once both Jeeps are done we should try going done a trail together to compare rigs!

Nicely produced video! Congrats on the startup.
Thank you @Zorba

-Grant

I really wasn't expecting it to start so quickly, I was genuinely surprised by it. Do you run into the situation where after you start the engine once you're not as nervous around it?

Yes I have. And I've dealt with mechanical diesels before and cracking the lines trying to get the air out so it'll start can be a PITA.
I'm stoked to see it running and can't wait to hear how you like it with that new transmission. It should really be interesting.

Hey TJers,

This past week I stripped down the ALH TDI engine and test fitted the engine adapter that I received from KubotaSwappers so I could mate the ALH TDI to the Ford 6r80 6-speed automatic in my 2006 Right Hand Drive TJ Wrangler.

Here is the video if you want to watch if:

One thing I noticed about the TDI compared to the Kubota V2403 was how many more electrical and vacuum connections there are on this Volkswagen engine. I think the thing the surprised me the most was the amount of cooling lines that seemed to be none ending.

NRIG313.jpg

Oddly enough removing the manual transmission and clutch turned out to be more challenging than I initially thought it would be. It would have been easier if I had pulled the engine myself instead of buying the engine and transmission already pulled.

I did run into two minor issues when I went to test fit the adapter, the hard line for the oil feed to the turbo was interfering with the adapter and the coolant hard line that wraps around the block to supply coolant to the EGR system was also in the way. Both were easy to remedy by removing the oil feed line, which I will be replacing with a stainless steel braided line and then cutting the coolant hard line shorter as well.

vmeHwwx.jpg

This weekend and coming week I'll be test fitting the ALH TDI in my Right Hand Drive Wrangler to see if I have clearance issues with my steering components and braking system since the turbo and intake are now also on the same side.

As a side note there are several builds on this forum that I need to catch up on. My job is going through a merger that is suppose to be done by the first of October that has consumed the majority of my time.

Thanks
Grant

Well the test fit of my ALH TDI into my Right Hand Drive TJ Wrangler didn't go according to plan at all. Honestly if I had a Left Hand Drive it would have made things easier, because the steering and the braking components would have been on the other side of the engine bay though the pumpkin on my Dana 30 would still cause a problem.

uWUqxGf.jpg

I find it interesting I'm having clearance issues to the pumpkin on my front axle when that was never an issue with my Kubota engine, though to be fair, if I just deleted the AC compressor it would solve that issue but having AC and cruise control are two of my goals on this swap.

Rm4TtDU.jpg

Currently I'm using KubotaSwapper's 15° adapter to mate my ALH TDI diesel engine to my Ford 6r80 6-speed automatic, but after talking to Ken at length on the phone well measuring everything in my engine bay, we are going to try the 20° adapter to see if that gives us the clearance we need. Going with the 20° adapter will lift the accessories up and tuck the turbo assembly further away from my steering and braking components.

r0nrgrx.jpg

Thanks
Grant