C vs. E loads and the BS (not back spacing!).

They went to 16" wheels for styling reasons, bigger diameter wheels are currently 'in'... you can't really find appropriate C load range tires for that odd size wheel.

Yet For the 10A they used 17's and still went with E's. Plus, for the first four years, they could've had any tire company do whatever they want, it's friggin' Jeep!! They do that now, with the KM2. If I stuck with an MT, I might've had different experience.

Chris I was just thinking the opposite... Haha I want to run my takeoffs from my truck on the jeep but I need 16"s.

Happy holidays/Merry Christmas by the way [emoji4] [emoji319] [emoji318]

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Thanks, same to you!

The only reason I want 15" wheels is it seems like there's more available tires out there for 15"s than there is for 16"s.

Reactions: Frank and _swede
Thanks, same to you!

The only reason I want 15" wheels is it seems like there's more available tires out there for 15"s than there is for 16"s.
And I'm just getting cheap as I get older... I want 16"s so I can repurpose tires off my truck when they have 30% tread left instead of selling them on c'list at that point. I'm a tire snob, I don't like keeping a set for its entire life [emoji13]

I don't think 15"s fit on the truck and I really like the ratio 255/85R16. Pizza cutters FTW! [emoji487]

That is a valid point if two things are true. You never want 37's and they don't make a tire in 16" that works for you. Lest we forget, smaller rims also mean smaller brakes. I'll take larger brakes over "limited" tire selection any day.

Reactions: Chris
That is a valid point if two things are true. You never want 37's and they don't make a tire in 16" that works for you. Lest we forget, smaller rims also mean smaller brakes. I'll take larger brakes over "limited" tire selection any day.

The brakes are ultimately the reason I'll probably stay with 16" wheels.

My TJR has 16s and 4wheels discs. Yet my old YJ 15s bolt on with no issues. And I have no issues stopping, with 33s, even towing 1700lbs. If I went to 35s or37s... I might want bigger brakes tho.

My TJR has 16s and 4wheels discs. Yet my old YJ 15s bolt on with no issues. And I have no issues stopping, with 33s, even towing 1700lbs. If I went to 35s or37s... I might want bigger brakes tho.

I couldn't fit 15 inch wheels on mine because I have the 16 inch big brake kit.

This is just personal preference. Not criticism.

For me the TJ is an ideal daily driver. That in mind I find 33s perfect. If I needed more mobility/capability I'd be looking for a lighter, dedicated trail rig. I'd prefer a stripped CJ2, SE power train, alloy body over a built luxury TJR... Even if I had to buy an LJ to flat tow it.

Talk about going off topic.

I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that 33" tires are perfect for me. Sure, I could get 35" tires, but I am pretty confident I can do nearly all the stuff on the trails that most guys with 35" tires are doing.

I do love 33's on a TJ, Fits the size well. On some pics with a 15" wheel sometimes it looks too much like a donut. Subjective, but I do like the look of the bigger wheel, 16-17's look really nice.

Back on topic for an update.. I'm noticing I'm able to get over 300 miles out of a tank on this thing with these tires, I get the low fuel light on and could keep going but don't want to run out. With the stock tires, I never got close to that with stock tires, and then those C loads just had way too much friction, really could feel it sucking up the gas. Since '97, I''ve had 3 TJ's and haven't seen this kinda mileage since my first TJ Sport with 3.07 gears and the small tires, I used to get about 350-360 a tank, but lots of highway. too many always say, oh it's a jeep you can't get decent mpg. Bah, humbug.. I get to drive a Rubi and still get decent mpg. I'm filling up about a tank less a month!!

It might even be better, don't know exactly, because I went up 1" in diameter and for '06 Rubi the speedo calibration for stock was right on the money. So I think I'm going further/faster than the speedo shows, which means mileage is even better.

Last night in a real bad down pour, these tires felt so grippy. Completely sure feeling, with no hydroplaning or even sleight loss like the MTRs would do a bit. In some snow/ice and they grip like crazy and I can stop on a dime. I'm waiting for some big snow to go out and play! Anyhow, I"m saving on gas, and loving the look and the ride. Sorry, tell me again why these E loads are so bad?!

Last edited:
I do love 33's on a TJ, Fits the size well. On some pics with a 15" wheel sometimes it looks too much like a donut. Subjective, but I do like the look of the bigger wheel, 16-17's look really nice.

Back on topic for an update.. I'm noticing I'm able to get over 300 miles out of a tank on this thing with these tires, I get the low fuel light on and could keep going but don't want to run out. With the stock tires, I never got close to that with stock tires, and then those C loads just had way too much friction, really could feel it sucking up the gas. Since '97, I''ve had 3 TJ's and haven't seen this kinda mileage since my first TJ Sport with 3.07 gears and the small tires, I used to get about 350-360 a tank, but lots of highway. too many always say, oh it's a jeep you can't get decent mpg. Bah, humbug.. I get to drive a Rubi and still get decent mpg. I'm filling up about a tank less a month!!

It might even be better, don't know exactly, because I went up 1" in diameter and for '06 Rubi the speedo calibration for stock was right on the money. So I think I'm going further/faster than the speedo shows, which means mileage is even better.

Last night in a real bad down pour, these tires felt so grippy. Completely sure feeling, with no hydroplaning or even sleight loss like the MTRs would do a bit. In some snow/ice and they grip like crazy and I can stop on a dime. I'm waiting for some big snow to go out and play! Anyhow, I"m saving on gas, and loving the look and the ride. Sorry, tell me again why these E loads are so bad?!
Maybe I missed a previous post. What tires are you running?

Whoa! I like a firm ride, but I'm only running 40psi in mine. Gen 1 and my tare weight is 4k.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55
It's the right range for mine to get the correct contact patch with two steel bumpers, winch, full size LRE spare, load of tools and whatever else is going to/from work. It is firm but I've been driving it that way for so long I hardly notice. My Nokian LRE snows are run even higher. The rolling resistance is so low on both sets, I love it.

I haven't weighed in lately but maybe I'll stop on the scale the next time I'm at the town transfer station. My intuition says well over 4k...

Brians B'day wheelin003.jpg
Brians B'day wheelin005.jpg
This is why I want 35's..............................

Brians B'day wheelin007.jpg

This is why I run stock size winter grips.... Have not been stuck yet.
Knew it would make a good photo. Took the picture, backed up 5 feet. Kept going.

DSC_0003 (1).jpg