Camshaft positioning sensor leaking oil

mgroeger

TJ Enthusiast
The new engine is in and running smoothly. The gasket that came with the engine for where the camshaft positioning sensor/oil pump unit goes into the block is leaking.
It is just a thin paper gasket and forgot to put a thin layer of RTV on it to be safe.
I can find the sensor part that bolts on top but I can't find the unit or gasket that actually goes into the block.
Amazing how much oil can flow out of that sucker and yes the bolt is tightened down well.
Any advice on where to find that?

Can you just cut a new gasket out the rolls of gasket material like Advance Auto Parts sells?

Im not 100% familiar with what the parts, just throwing ideas out.

I would suggest using a small diameter O ring on the base then just clamp her down. Just did the same thing on my distributor.

I would suggest using a small diameter O ring on the base then just clamp her down. Just did the same thing on my distributor.

Thought about that and discussed it with my mechanic friend and he warned me that will raise the entire unit up a tick and may raise it higher than it should be. Paper is the way to go if I can find it.

Thought about that and discussed it with my mechanic friend and he warned me that will raise the entire unit up a tick and may raise it higher than it should be. Paper is the way to go if I can find it.

A 1/16 diam O ring will flatten out to almost nothing, did for me.

I would not want to risk any space there and end up with that damn monkey chatter. I know this may be sacrilege, but try contacting a Jeep dealership to get a new gasket.

Reactions: mgroeger