Can you replace your own windshield?

Sounds like I should just get it done, not that I couldn't do it myself.... but I don't wanna mess up the one thing I have to look out in my car.

I fully believe you could easily do it yourself. I also fully believe that it would be very low odds that you get it done in such a manner that it wouldn't bother you enough to have it replaced by a pro. I'm skilled at figuring out how to do stuff the first time, I won't even try a windshield because I'm not interested in redoing it.

Sounds like I should just get it done, not that I couldn't do it myself.... but I don't wanna mess up the one thing I have to look out in my car.

It was $200 to have my TJ windshield replaced not using insurance. It’s really not worth the hassle to try and do it yourself to save maybe $50.

Are you going to find the Mopar 1 piece T mold or use the universal cut to length and then put up with the gap at the bottom when it shrinks?

I think the T molding is more for appearance anyway. A couple of local guys had theirs done without it. Looks like a windshield in a JK.
I like the look, plus you don't have to worry about moisture build up behind it after it shrinks and deforms.

I think the T molding is more for appearance anyway. A couple of local guys had theirs done without it. Looks like a windshield in a JK.
I like the look, plus you don't have to worry about moisture build up behind it after it shrinks and deforms.

If the frame reveal has clean paint, I don't see why it can't work since you are correct, the T mold is to hide the gap.

Reactions: williambmac
Somehow I'd expect you should know that working at a dealer. But, all TJ windshields and hard top side glass are glue in.

No one has mentioned the pain in the ass T mold yet, I'm surprised.

I was at Benz, so never did any Jeeps. Just speaking in general about glass work.
The G wagen was a flat glass with just a gasket, I thought maybe the earlier TJs were too.

That said, when my 05 needed a windshield I let the insurance take care of it since it was cheaper than buying the glass/glue/etc
But hey, if a fella wants to tackle something new then go for it....

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I did autoglass when I was in college. I have done hundreds if not thousands of windshield replacements. I paid to have both of my Wranglers done. Not to mention, by the time you purchase the cold knife, urethane and a good gun for the urethane it's not even cost effective for a one time job.

Reactions: P man
I haven't had any luck finding the Mopar P/N for the windshield molding - I'd like to have my windshield professionally replaced due to the ~152 rock chips in my 2004 TJ. I suspect it's been replaced before, as the windshield rubber molding that's in there looks like ASS - poking out in the bottom left corner. Can anyone help?

I haven't had any luck finding the Mopar P/N for the windshield molding - I'd like to have my windshield professionally replaced due to the ~152 rock chips in my 2004 TJ. I suspect it's been replaced before, as the windshield rubber molding that's in there looks like ASS - poking out in the bottom left corner. Can anyone help?

If you're having it professionally done, why buy your own molding? Let them replace it.

From what I gathered, getting the correct Mopar w/s is m'oh bettah' than whatever generic product might be used, no?

Can't speak for all aftermarket T mold but the crap jobs I've seen where the corners fold up and a big gap at the ends develops as the molding shrinks are due to it not being Mopar. Mopar is a full circle endless piece.

Reactions: TheGanzman
No idea what they are using here but you could contact them. This was recommended elsewhere on this forum.

https://www.jeepglass.com/9705.htm

I used the Fairchild KD4026 kit. Comes with the inside and outside pieces. They are both one continuous loop. RockAuto has them for $36 plus tax and shipping. Working well…

5341BFFC-2E4D-43F9-B693-4B3BB82B1A73.jpeg

never tried it on a glue in, like the TJ but I did it on the YJ...it's held in by the gasket...can't imagine the TJ would be any more difficult, just different

if you look at the pic you'll notice no mirror glued to the windshield
w7EO9Gy.jpg

Sounds like you don't have comp coverage or you made a collision claim. I pay a little extra each year to have comp coverage and it's definitely worth it.

It’s a specific windshield claim through USAA they have and does not go against your insurance. Either way, according to y’all, I may need to change insurance companies….

never tried it on a glue in, like the TJ but I did it on the YJ...it's held in by the gasket...can't imagine the TJ would be any more difficult, just different

if you look at the pic you'll notice no mirror glued to the windshield
View attachment 334444

It is a lot different. Getting the windshield glued in is one thing. Getting the trim correct is a pain. Get a gun designed for the thick urethane is key.

Reactions: P man
It’s a specific windshield claim through USAA they have and does not go against your insurance. Either way, according to y’all, I may need to change insurance companies….

Don't change just because of the windshield. USAA is one of the absolute best out there. Anyone can come up with a one-off story why someone else is better, but for a plethora of reasons, stick with USAA.

Reactions: Jamesval035