CB Help

Be careful with this mount and low-hanging tree branches. I've had an antenna sheared off by a branch as it swiped the side of my TJ and flung back to its obstructive state after clearing my roll bars.

If you're only planning to communicate with nearby rigs in your group, get a shorter antenna than usual. You'll save yourself the pain in your wallet when you realize your antenna is somewhere on the trail behind you.
I have the same type of mount on my TJ and I use a 4 foot base loaded stainless steel whip CB antenna. No issues with any tree branches hitting it.

20170327_171303.jpg

I will be installing one of these soon and I was wondering how you get the cable to the bracket? I know there is a hold behind the taillight, but do you drill a hole in the bottom of the taillight to pull it through to the bracket?

I did. I drilled a hole just big enough for the coax to fit and seal the hole.
I use the second hole for a flag mount. It is hard to see in this picture but I will see if I can find a better one.
I know people will give me a bad time about the spring, but the spring makes it so I can fold the antenna under the velcro on the top so I can park in my parking garage.

20170730_003620.jpg
IMG-0036.JPG

I did. I drilled a hole just big enough for the coax to fit and seal the hole.
I use the second hole for a flag mount. It is hard to see in this picture but I will see if I can find a better one.
I know people will give me a bad time about the spring, but the spring makes it so I can fold the antenna under the velcro on the top so I can park in my parking garage.

View attachment 35320 View attachment 35321
I picked up a quick disconnect for that, just make sure you get a good one, the cheap ones will fail from trail use... Or big potholes.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: ac_ and JeepNWilly
I picked up a quick disconnect for that, just make sure you get a good one, the cheap ones will fail from trail use... Or big potholes.

I actually have a quick disconnect for my Ram for the same reason, but found it more of a pain to do than flipping it under the top. Also if the top isn't on I bought a roll bar hanger loop for a J/k that velcros to the roll bar and I push it through there. It works quite well
My Ram doesn't have any where I can tuck the antenna, so I have to remove it with a quick disconnect, but since the Jeep does, I kind of prefer that. I find that if I remove it on the Ram it just sits in the cab till I remember to put it back on, On my jeep I can just reach up and un-tuck it at a red light once I am out of the garage.

Makes sense, I run an 8ft whip so the only place I've ever been able to tuck it was into the snorkel head ;)

Reactions: ac_
I have the same type of mount on my TJ and I use a 4 foot base loaded stainless steel whip CB antenna. No issues with any tree branches hitting it.

I think your trees are quite different from those in the Midwest. :)

Besides, unless you're trying to talk to other vehicles six miles away, a 4' antenna is just plain overkill.

Most organized offroad events and 4x4 clubs completely banned 102" whips years ago. They did that because they have a history of whipping about and occasionally injuring bystanders, especially after they pull free after having had their tips tied down or tucked into various parts. Some have even banned antennas over about 50" for similar reasons. For the most parts, tall CB antennas just aren't needed when offroading. I have been successfully using a 2' antenna for 13-14 years after starting with a 4' then 3'. That's even with much of my wheeling being in canyons and mountainous terrain, often while leading large groups of Jeeps around. If the Jeeps furthest away at the tail end away from me couldn't hear me well at all times I wouldn't still be using my 2'. :)

Reactions: ac_
Most organized offroad events and 4x4 clubs completely banned 102" whips years ago. They did that because they have a history of whipping about and occasionally injuring bystanders, especially after they pull free after having had their tips tied down or tucked into various parts. Some have even banned antennas over about 50" for similar reasons. For the most parts, tall CB antennas just aren't needed when offroading. I have been successfully using a 2' antenna for 13-14 years after starting with a 4' then 3'. That's even with much of my wheeling being in canyons and mountainous terrain, often while leading large groups of Jeeps around. If the Jeeps furthest away at the tail end away from me couldn't hear me well at all times I wouldn't still be using my 2'. :)

I use a 4 ft so it goes well over my top. I don't usually do club wheeling, so that isn't so much of an issue for me, but when I do go out quadding or fishing, I do usually monitor the CB to listen to see if anybody needs help. I need a little more range than just the trail of guys I am with. If I was going to only wheel in clubs (like I used to when I was a young buck), I would probably sport a 2 foot whip. I have always been a fan of the old giant fiberglass whips like @Drizit , but as I got older my antenna got shorter! Had to stop at 4 feet though.I am nostalgic that way.

I think your trees are quite different from those in the Midwest. :)

Besides, unless you're trying to talk to other vehicles six miles away, a 4' antenna is just plain overkill.
Yea trees are quite different but we do have them and I have hit mine quite a few times. I even smashed it on a tree backing up out of a nasty climb no issues except for the dent in my tub caused by the bracket getting pushed in. We also have very nasty brush that at times make a Jeep trail onto a single track trail and I have plowed through it with no problems while other I have wheeled with have destroyed their firestick.

My 48" SS base loaded antenna is a cheap RadioShack I bought way back when when I joined our local Jeep club and was a newbie. The club president had a good friend who is a CB/HAM ect.. expert. He would show up at club meeting from time to time to help newbies setup the CB and check the SWR. When he took a look at mine and put it through his testing equipment he told not to change a thing as it was perfect.

Yea being a SS whip antenna it does whip around but since it is 48" it has not caused any troubles in all the years I have had it. Sure it may be overkill but it has served me well since 2006 and I see no absolutely no reason to go out and change it.