CB radio locations

Not a CB, but here's what I did with my VHF/UHF radio. I bought an aftermarket dash put and installed the radio bracket and mic clip into that.

I usually just run a mag mount antenna inside on the rear passenger wheel well. If I need optimal signal (getting into a repeater far away or talking simplex at long distances with unfavorable terrain) then I just stick the mag mount on the hood and run tun coax through a widow.

When I get really fancy at camp I run out it to a portable Yagi like in my profile pic :geek:

ry9FIRJ.jpg

Last edited:
For all you that are installing on top of the dash, how do you keep them from overheating when offroad? When I am offroad, my cellphone needs to be moved from the dash otherwise it will shut down from heat.

For all you that are installing on top of the dash, how do you keep them from overheating when offroad? When I am offroad, my cellphone needs to be moved from the dash otherwise it will shut down from heat.

I haven't had any issues with mine overheating on the dash, but I live in BC Canada where it doesn't get particularly hot most of the year. Never had an issue while mobile, but if I am parked at camp out in the sun on a hot day, the heat sync on the radio will start to get quite hot, so I'll put a towel, piece of clothing or whatever I have on hand overtop of it when I'm not using it. Most radios (anything above 20W) are designed to get hot enough to burn your skin and usually have warning labels on the heat sync to that affect. Direct sunlight on a hot day combined with constant transmission could be potentially problematic for some radios.

Reactions: Zorba

Mine has been on top of the dash above the radio for 5 years and does not overheat.