CB Radio Suggestions?

What did you use for the bezel around the CB ?
My Jeep had an aftermarket radio installed by the previous owner and I used that trim ring. Don't know the brand. There is still a 1/16" gap but it looks good enough for me.

I plan to wire up the cb this weekend, is it recommended that I wire it up directly to the battery or can I split off of something else that is already getting constant power such as an amp or something? If i mount it behind my center console I can easily run a line to my sub wire.

I plan to wire up the cb this weekend, is it recommended that I wire it up directly to the battery or can I split off of something else that is already getting constant power such as an amp or something? If i mount it behind my center console I can easily run a line to my sub wire.

Thanks for the flowers btw,

It is a matter of opinion. I wire mine hot so I don't have to have the key in to talk on the radio. Most of the time you will be driving with your buddies so it doesn't really matter, but sometimes when I am camping especially in ORV parks I turn the CB on and listen for distress calls or any kind of chatter, and I don't like to leave my key on so I keep my cb hot. It would take months before it killed your battery, but full disclosure I do run dual batteries in my TJ, so it is never a worry for me.

I do want to see pictures and a full report on how it works behind your console. If it works out well I may move mine. Right now under the dash it is perfect, but if i ever get into a wreck I fear it may be a permanent fixture in my leg.

One of the things I am curious about is if you can hear it mounted behind your console and if not where you put an external speaker if necessary.

One of the things I am curious about is if you can hear it mounted behind your console and if not where you put an external speaker if necessary.
Yeah this is the only one of my concerns about mounting it there, and my current plan if I have to mount up an external speaker is that I could stick it in my center console since I dont have a sub in there. I dont know, just brainstorming.

Reactions: ac_
Yeah this is the only one of my concerns about mounting it there, and my current plan if I have to mount up an external speaker is that I could stick it in my center console since I dont have a sub in there. I dont know, just brainstorming.

I like brainstorming because mostly way better ideas come out that I probably didn't think of.
Where mine is now I can hear it just fine and it fits perfect, but like I said before if I get into a wreck it wouldn't be good for sure, but i don't want to move it and then just replace it with an external speaker. I don't have much room anymore on the dash for any more accessories. unless I can think of something really clever like you said adding an external speaker to the console somehow.

But all of that said maybe it will be fine and loud enough on the center console.

I could probably hang a small external speaker if necessary on the sound bar.

Anyway I am heading out of town for the weekend, so that will be something I re-address when I get back.

Reactions: Chris S
How's the volume level when you're on the freeway?
Hey Bert,
I have not tried the CB on the freeway. I assume it would be fine with the top and doors on, but impossible with either off. A good idea is to add an external speaker. The option for an external is available on the back of the CB box.

Hey Bert,
I have not tried the CB on the freeway. I assume it would be fine with the top and doors on, but impossible with either off. A good idea is to add an external speaker. The option for an external is available on the back of the CB box.

Thanks for the reply. I found a site called Right Channel Radios through a Google search and they sell entire CB kits for Jeeps. They also sell a neat external speaker that says and has a Jeep on the front. (I'm not affiliated with them in any way.)

Reactions: JMT and ac_
Thanks for the reply. I found a site called Right Channel Radios through a Google search and they sell entire CB kits for Jeeps. They also sell a neat external speaker that says and has a Jeep on the front. (I'm not affiliated with them in any way.)
I went with the Uniden option for the Jeeps at Right Channel Radios, they are really good with support, and will answer any questions you might have. I buy all of my CB stuff from them. Once they sent me a defective antenna, and they sent me a new one without making me send the broken one back. Even with the excellent customer service they have reasonable prices. I don't think you could go wrong with them.

Reactions: JMT and Bert
I still use my 30 year old Rat Snack (Radio Shack) TRC-415. Back then, that was as cheap as I could spend, LOL!
After tuning the antenna, it works just fine on the road and in the woods with a 3' firestick on a tail light mount.

BTW, I mounted the CB centered on the roll bar in front of the sound bar, between the front seats. I'm hard of hearing but I can hear it just fine in the woods, and even on the highway running naked. Some folx would say I have the volume too high...

Reactions: JMT and Bert
Ha! that's pretty slick. Wish I'd seen this a few weeks ago.
Jeep-Speaker-w-logo_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: Bert
I have the same set up and mine works great as well. I put an external speaker on the roll bar between the driver and passenger so I can hear the CB better.
That’s a good idea. I may look into that if I ever get more $$$.

I have the same set up and mine works great as well. I put an external speaker on the roll bar between the driver and passenger so I can hear the CB better.
On second thought, I may just get one. I could really use it and the Mopar one is pretty slick.

Wow.....you came into more money pretty quick! :)
Wheelin' and dealin'!

I think I saw the price as $24 and I was like, why am I depriving myself of being able to hear my CB? I mean, that's what I bought it for, right?

I am also trying to save because this whole axle, re-gear thing I'm going through right now just keeps begging for money.

See, there's sort of a paradox I'm trying to figure out here. Do I love my Jeep so much that I want to spend money on it OR does my Jeep love money? I'm leaning toward the latter.:D

Reactions: Bert and ac_