Centramatic Tire Balancers

I think it makes sense to just leave the wheel weights on and let the product just smooth then out. Maybe help you get you smoother at all speeds.

Nice wheels.
I agree leave the weights on. It's a good company. I had one that leaked a little oil. Called them and no problem, they sent me a replacement. Didn't even have to send the old one back.

Reactions: AndyG and J R
I run them on my TJ. Note that if you have a Super 16" (or possibly 17") big brake kit, you will probably need a spacer. I run 1.25" spacers with my Moab rims so that is not a problem. Basically, if any part of the caliper or bracket extends outboard of the plane of the WMS, a spacer is probably needed. I don't think the 15"/16" kits require spacers.

They do an impressive job of keeping things smooth, especially at freeway speeds. They seem to compensate for the tire wear well, and I've had no issues with uneven tire wear. (I also run 36 PSI in my 35s, which could also have an effect on tire wear.)

Reactions: AndyG and LJGreg
There is another company called Balance Masters that uses liquid mercury instead of BBs and oil. They have the same function, but are known to be a bit quieter.

Balance Masters also makes driveshaft balancers. I have two of these. I have not noticed a significant reduction in driveline vibrations, but I believe my issue is based in torsional mode vibration, not eccentric vibration. I think that they could do a good job in reducing eccentric vibration.

I prefer the Centramatic wheel balancers over the Balance Masters myself based on the idea that mercury is more difficult to clean up, and more prone to causing environmental damage should it leak.

I bent a steel wheel on the trail the other day and still rides smooth with the centramatics on. Would be interesting to take them off and see how it feels.

The OTR guys have been using them for years.

@starkey480 next time I see you. I need to see how you still like yours.

Reactions: starkey480
I see the comment above on the Super 16" or 17" BBK, anyone running these with the standard 16" BBK? Especially on 15" steel wheels.

I see the comment above on the Super 16" or 17" BBK, anyone running these with the standard 16" BBK? Especially on 15" steel wheels.
I’ve run them on the 15” and 16” BBK without issue, just pay attention to which ones fit front (mine were the flat two, not the dimpled two). My issue with the 16” BBK on my 15” wheels was discount sucking at getting weights to not peel up touching the caliper (hence why I run the 15” rotor and caliper location temporarily).

Reactions: FarFire70 and jjvw
Mine are the 300-345 ones
Mine are too-

3D0C281F-34A7-4DF6-A464-F97859F253F9.png

Reactions: John Cooper
I feel like they're too expensive for what they are but I've considered it for sure.

I do wonder how different/better they are compared to just dumping some beads in the tires.
Not sure on beads, but if you get 20 percent more tire life (and mud tires clap out fast usually) they are a good value - full tire life and more enjoyment the entire time and use with the next set or the next TJ.

After running my Jeep 500+ miles this weekend, with the steering wheel and cowl shaking the whole way... These are on the short list.

I can't get into the shop to get them balanced (because, covid), and based on their attitude over the phone, I don't have high hopes. I'll still give them a shot after my new adapters come in, though. They've always done a good job for me on my 33's

Update: I ended up picking up a set on eBay...I don't want to be running to the tire shop every month, so for 230 bucks, I figured its a good spend to not punish the rest of my suspension.

Last edited:
I couldn’t get the balancers to fit over the rear drum brakes, so I only run them on the front (I moved the other pair to my utilty trailer).
I like them. Hard to say for sure but my impression is they are helping the tires wear more evenly.

Reactions: AndyG
I was somewhat skeptical of mine working, even recently. However I put them back on after my rotate + balance last week (discount by me calls them a spacer and leaves them on my seat) and the front imbalance I experienced all the last week (since they can’t get the balance right) is nearly gone, if not entirely.

I’m definitely convinced they do something positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyG and FarFire70
For me it was two reasons. The first was the hassle of dealing with the beads. I've replaced my wheels once already and also cut a sidewall so dealing with them every time I opened a wheel is something I didn't want to do. The other is value. At $50 per wheel for Centramatics for lifetime balancing, that's was a no-brainer.

Other items of note:
The Centramatics are quiet. I wasn't sure how noisy the beads would be. I also heard there's a possibility of clumping with the beads but I don't know how true that is. Perhaps not with real tire beads but with airsoft beads.

I still have the option of using beads if I find that the weight in the Centramatics aren't quite enough.

Reactions: FarFire70 and Tob