Chris' Modern Bluegrass Thread

I'm a sucker for vocal harmonies. Bob used to have a great band called Front Range that we saw live many times. Here's one of his solo songs.

Reactions: j8ksdad
I'm a sucker for vocal harmonies. Bob used to have a great band called Front Range that we saw live many times. Here's one of his solo songs.

This is great!

If you like vocal harmonies, check this one out, I promise you'll like it.

Reactions: RMETeeJay
I have a CD of a group from the nineties called Run&cw. Their funny and smart. I don't know if they are on YouTube.

Reactions: Chris
Central Wisconsin band called Horseshoes and Hand Grenades , not too bad also a group out of Kansas City called The Wilders . Very nice thread ,thanks for all the new music ideas !

If you’ve not grabbed Sturgill Simpson‘s “cuttin grass” releases, you should. Love the Infamous Stringdusters, Molly Tuttle, Mandolin Orange (may lean a bit folk), Greensky Bluegrass (perhaps leans a bit jam), and the incomparable and oft mentioned Billy Strings. Love this thread. And this music.

Here's a video of my daughter singing a song I wrote. That's me in the bib overalls.

Cathead, that was Phenomenal!!! Your daughter has an amazing voice. Hints of Allison Krause. The songwriting is also on point, has a very old timey but modern feel. Does your daughter play as well?

My absolute favorite thing about bluegrass is the community playing. I wasn't raised on bluegrass I was raised on old times hymns in our little church but it led me to bluegrass. I'm raising my kids heavily steeped in bluegrass old timey classic country and everything with harmony and acoustic overtones.

In the spirit of family music (maybe that deserves it's own thread) Here is one of my favorite songs me and my daughter play from a few years back.

Here is my boy now also learning the fiddle, both my kids first songs were Boil Em Cabbage.

Cathead, that was Phenomenal!!! Your daughter has an amazing voice. Hints of Allison Krause. The songwriting is also on point, has a very old timey but modern feel. Does your daughter play as well?

My absolute favorite thing about bluegrass is the community playing. I wasn't raised on bluegrass I was raised on old times hymns in our little church but it led me to bluegrass. I'm raising my kids heavily steeped in bluegrass old timey classic country and everything with harmony and acoustic overtones.

In the spirit of family music (maybe that deserves it's own thread) Here is one of my favorite songs me and my daughter play from a few years back.

Here is my boy now also learning the fiddle, both my kids first songs were Boil Em Cabbage.
That's precious and priceless! Enjoy them while they're little and at home (I can see you already do). Thanks for sharing. It blessed me.

Reactions: Chris and B00mb00m
I've always been a big Sturgill Simpson fan. He's one of the only modern country artists who actually seems to be true to the genre.

I've been listening to his new bluegrass album "Cuttin' Grass" for over a month now and I have to say that this song in particular is one of the best modern bluegrass songs I've ever heard. Not only are the lyrics fantastic, but the overall tone and sound is a perfect example of how bluegrass can be modernized but still stay true to its roots.

Listen and enjoy!

If this really is volume 1, I look forward to volume 2. I think Sturgill should stick with bluegrass and country. The alternative album he ventured into wasn't terrible, but it wasn't really him.

I've always been a big Sturgill Simpson fan. He's one of the only modern country artists who actually seems to be true to the genre.

I've been listening to his new bluegrass album "Cuttin' Grass" for over a month now and I have to say that this song in particular is one of the best modern bluegrass songs I've ever heard. Not only are the lyrics fantastic, but the overall tone and sound is a perfect example of how bluegrass can be modernized but still stay true to its roots.

Listen and enjoy!

If this really is volume 1, I look forward to volume 2. I think Sturgill should stick with bluegrass and country. The alternative album he ventured into wasn't terrible, but it wasn't really him.
He did a volume 2, and it’s also great.

Reactions: j8ksdad