Chris' Modern Bluegrass Thread

I can call these 'modern' because there's drums, right? Pretty good band he has here, they might go places someday. :p

Reactions: j8ksdad
Free Billy Strings live stream tonight (February 18) and next Wednesday the 24th on Twitch. For the uninitiated, it's jam/psychedelic bluegrass quartet. No drums, but they do use some distortion pedals (especially Billy). This genre is not usually my thing, but they do have talent and play some trad songs in their shows with well-crafted originals.

Stream details

Reactions: TRE3TOP
Free Billy Strings live stream tonight (February 18) and next Wednesday the 24th on Twitch. For the uninitiated, it's jam/psychedelic bluegrass quartet. No drums, but they do use some distortion pedals (especially Billy). This genre is not usually my thing, but they do have talent and play some trad songs in their shows with well-crafted originals.

Stream details
I listen to him. I don’t like all of it, but I do like some of it. It’s a unique sound and brings a cool “modern” touch to Bluegrass music.

“Watch it fall” is a great song.

Being from KY, we get our fair share of Bluegrass music. The town I live in now is home to the Bluegrass Hall of Fame Museum, and we have one of the largest annual Bluegrass festivals around (ROMP in Owensboro, KY). I grew up in the town where Sam Bush is from, and also a couple of the other New Grass Revival members - Bowling Green, KY - home of the Corvette (I gave tours at the Corvette Plant for 3 years while I was in college), and it’s only about 1 hour north of Nashville, TN, so I grew up on country music.

Tyler Childers is great. His early stuff was a little too sad/whiny for me, but his new album is great. I saw him perform with John Prine at a local outdoor venue in a podunk town here in KY about 3 years ago like 15 miles from where Prine’s song “Paradise” is based off of.

Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson are also from KY (the Lexington area), so they’ve been pretty popular around here.... Trampled by Turtles is about as good of any modern bluegrass you’ll find.

nice one @Chris, I hope to make it out to Merlefest again this year, THE best for listening to bluegrass music...end of April in NC...
I love bluegrass festivals. They’re having one in my town this year which I’m super excited about.

New Grass Revival!
Sam Bush
John Cowan
Bela Fleck
Pat Flynn
That is my favorite line up of NGR…

There probably has never been a more talented foursome of musicians and singers in any genre of music. Absolutely phenomenal…

I keep wishing they’d reunite but I don’t see it happening…

New Grass Revival!
Sam Bush
John Cowan
Bela Fleck
Pat Flynn
That is my favorite line up of NGR…

There probably has never been a more talented foursome of musicians and singers in any genre of music. Absolutely phenomenal…

I keep wishing they’d reunite but I don’t see it happening…
Traveling Wilburys is the only thing I can think of that’s also in that caliber.

Was a great show last night. 728DEB33-2F76-48E6-BBC6-5ECF298F863B.jpeg

Reactions: TRE3TOP