Colorado Daily-Driven Trail Warrior V2 - 2006 LJ

I guess my biggest question.
I've removed the Transfer case in the past when I did my AX-15 Swap on the TJ.

Would the SYE be easier to manage with the Transfer Case out of the Jeep, or is it even worth pulling out for the job?

Yes indeed. We can talk about it when I'm back in town.

Reactions: zachpeakee

Would the SYE be easier to manage with the Transfer Case out of the Jeep, or is it even worth pulling out for the job?

Blaine does it on the Jeep. I can’t even remember how I did mine, but I think I pulled it for some reason. I don’t know. I’ve had it off about 10 times. I even had it off this morning. It’s back on now. I didn’t crack it though, just needed to get to the tranny output.

It’s about 39 steps to do the SYE. I may have a step-by-step in my files. I’ll look.

My advice is to pull it for your first time just because I prefer working on a bench to working underneath the rig when I'm also learning and figuring things out. If you do a second one some day, you'll know what you're doing plenty well enough to do it underneath.

Yes indeed. We can talk about it when I'm back in town.

Sure thing!

Blaine does it on the Jeep. I can’t even remember how I did mine, but I think I pulled it for some reason. I don’t know. I’ve had it off about 10 times. I even had it off this morning. It’s back on now. I didn’t crack it though, just needed to get to the tranny output.

It’s about 39 steps to do the SYE. I may have a step-by-step in my files. I’ll look.
My advice is to pull it for your first time just because I prefer working on a bench to working underneath the rig when I'm also learning and figuring things out. If you do a second one some day, you'll know what you're doing plenty well enough to do it underneath.

I don't mind pulling it. From what I remember when doing the AX-15 swap, the transfer case was out in about 30 minutes.
I had some complications with my last T-Case and had to clock the housing with a jig, but other than that it was a fairly easy pull/install.

With the SYE being as many steps as it is, I see that it'd be easier to just spend the time to get it out and on the table.
As Freedom said, especially since I don't know what I'm doing and would be better to have it easily accessible in my face versus seeing things bottom side up.

Sure thing!

I don't mind pulling it. From what I remember when doing the AX-15 swap, the transfer case was out in about 30 minutes.
I had some complications with my last T-Case and had to clock the housing with a jig, but other than that it was a fairly easy pull/install.

With the SYE being as many steps as it is, I see that it'd be easier to just spend the time to get it out and on the table.
As Freedom said, especially since I don't know what I'm doing and would be better to have it easily accessible in my face versus seeing things bottom side up.

I’ll preface with saying I’ve never done one - if you can get in a position to sit comfortably with good view I see no reason to pull it. If you can only lay on your back and look up, pull it.

I’ve done a lot of things, that’d be my approach.

Reactions: Wildman
Sure thing!

I know you didn’t get the extreme short shaft but I still think this is one of the better install videos to watch.

I’ll preface with saying I’ve never done one - if you can get in a position to sit comfortably with good view I see no reason to pull it. If you can only lay on your back and look up, pull it.

I’ve done a lot of things, that’d be my approach.

I've got some large 12-ton Jackstands that I use under the frame. Bought them when I did my axle swaps.
They've got a maximum safe working limit of 29".

If you take those same stands and put them underneath the axles, instead of under the frame, I can put the belly of the Jeep up about 40" off the ground.
Plenty of room to sit and hang out.

Reactions: Shank and Wildman
I've got some large 12-ton Jackstands that I use under the frame. Bought them when I did my axle swaps.
They've got a maximum safe working limit of 29".

If you take those same stands and put them underneath the axles, instead of under the frame, I can put the belly of the Jeep up about 40" off the ground.
Plenty of room to sit and hang out.

It’s just 6 bolts to remove the TCase from the transmission, plus some wiring, the drivelines, and the TCase shifter. Two or three of those are pretty hard to get to. Remove the center console to get to the top two. Ask me how I know for the third time in a week.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
It’s just 6 bolts to remove the TCase from the transmission, plus some wiring, the drivelines, and the TCase shifter. Two or three of those are pretty hard to get to. Remove the center console to get to the top two. Ask me how I know for the third time in a week.

Funny you mention that.

When I pulled it during the Transmission Swap on my TJ, I actually found the top two easier to get from the interior as well.
Long ass extension and a wobble socket made quick work of them.:ROFLMAO:

I did mine while it was in the jeep. Wasn't hard to do, but its a project you do while on your back for the entire process.

I did mine while it was in the jeep. Wasn't hard to do, but its a project you do while on your back for the entire process.

Things like this are why I bought a sit up creeper

1709220525647.png

1709220545588.png

I did mine in the Jeep on a dirt driveway. I threw down some cardboard and went for it. And I did it with the Jeep just sitting on 33" tires & 4" lift.

The hardest part IMO is getting the oil pump & filter back in place. A member of my Jeep club bought a TJ and asked me to regear it & add lockers for him. He'd mention that his transfer case was making noises so I pulled it and disassembled it. Whomever had installed the SYE hadn't gotten the oil pump clocked correctly. It ruined the back of the housing and bearings.

Since it's your first time IMO I'd pull it and do it on a bench where it's easier to see everything.

By this statement, I'll assume you aren't 6' 5" tall. Unlike most other vehicles, I think they're just about perfect. ;)

6' 1" :ROFLMAO:

My issue with the factory sun-visors is that they are so awkwardly shaped, with no option as far as adjustment is concerned. (no option to extend/lengthen etc)
So unless the sun is directly in front of you, I find them to be useless.

The new tint-strip works 100% of the time. I haven't touched the visors since I had the tint done!