Compass / thermometer / clock suggestions?

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I've found the aftermarket rear view mirror with compass & thermometer, and while it ideal, it's more than I want to spend right now.

Looking for suggestions for 12v unit that can display outside temp and time. Compass would be a bonus. I would prefer something that doesn't plug into the cig lighter, bur if that's all I can find, I'll take it. It can mount in the cig lighter location (I have an open extra) but not plug in like a cig lighter. My stereo head unit doesn't display the time if the unit is powered on.

For now, my budget is anemic. Too many other things that are more important.

I have looked at the TJ Mirror Co, but I am not ready to drop $150 on this. Plus, I have a 2000 which doesn't have the windshield header trim and I don't want the exposed wirrors. (not sure if the trim from later models can be retro fitted to my 2000)

What's the price of the OEM GNTX. Is that a dealer item?

You can usually find auto dimming compass/temp mirrors for under $50 I think. If you remind me this weekend when I get home I'll look to see if I still have my old one floating around. If I can it I'll let it go for cheap.

I did an eBay search for the Gentex mirrors. Tons of models.

I’ll check whether I have the harness…. Supposedly it’s under the defroster trim.

Also found the windshield trim.. but can’t figure out (yet) if I can retro fit to my 2000.

I've found the aftermarket rear view mirror with compass & thermometer, and while it ideal, it's more than I want to spend right now.

Looking for suggestions for 12v unit that can display outside temp and time. Compass would be a bonus. I would prefer something that doesn't plug into the cig lighter, bur if that's all I can find, I'll take it. It can mount in the cig lighter location (I have an open extra) but not plug in like a cig lighter. My stereo head unit doesn't display the time if the unit is powered on.
Whats the point of all this trouble, the temp on my mirror is about right around town but on the trail it reads 110 when I know it’s about 95

Oh, interesting. I mean, I'm sure that's the issue, but interesting the factory didn't find a better place. Maybe there isn't one? I never really paid attention to mine on the trail. Mine will get hotter than it is idling in a parking lot of a hot day for sure.

My 2005 windshield frame looks like this, with the 5 slots for the clips:
IMG_5362.JPG

And the clips look like this:
IMG_5363.JPG

The slots would be a real pain to make, but you could probably drill holes and screw it on. Maybe find some interesting looking screws, or just use some black Torx screws like Mopar is so fond of.

My 2005 windshield frame looks like this, with the 5 slots for the clips:
View attachment 292649

And the clips look like this:
View attachment 292650

The slots would be a real pain to make, but you could probably drill holes and screw it on. Maybe find some interesting looking screws, or just use some black Torx screws like Mopar is so fond of.

Thanks.. mine looks nothing like that. Maybe a project for another time....

I don't have that cover at all. No reason not to do it. I'll check for the mirror tomorrow morning if you still want.
Yeah…. Not giving up the OE approach. I checked this morning and don’t have the OE harness under the dash trim. That might make things a bit more challenging.

If exposed wires is an issue, you might look at cable raceways. They're usually meant for interiors of buildings but there's a million styles. Something like this might look ok.

https://www.sears.com/d-line-micro-plus-cable-raceway-kit/p-A099540016
Great solution.. but not sure I want to throw $70 at covering the wires.